Who's looking to buy the 365?

Serious question - why the disdain for the manual safety? Maybe I'm old but many semi-auto pistols prior to striker fired had a similar safety. Once your used to swiping the manual safety, it becomes second nature. Kind of like throwing the safety to "off" on a rifle when you jump a deer in the woods - it's all one motion.

Serious question - why the disdain for the manual safety? Maybe I'm old but many semi-auto pistols prior to striker fired had a similar safety. Once your used to swiping the manual safety, it becomes second nature. Kind of like throwing the safety to "off" on a rifle when you jump a deer in the woods - it's all one motion.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that feels that way. It's just a reflex now when I'm at the range, so it's weird taking the Glock (although, I do like that gun a lot).

It's one more thing to worry about.

I concur. I went hunting many moons ago. Before I registered the location of the first hit on my target that day, I'd already jacked another round into the chamber, just in case. It was automatic. It just happened.

THAT said, there are two reasons why I dislike the safety.

1. The exact opposite can happen. Especially if you (I) carry some safety and some non-safety guns. A lot can happen. Making it "point and click" is the most effective manner possible.

2. And this is the more important of the two points - F mASS! Seriously. F them. They suck!

Think about what the Legislators in MA have told us:

- Oh you are too stupid to handle firearms like the other 49 states so we need to make them safer.
- Oh you are the dumbest drivers in the world. So we need paid police details on all road crews. Not a $18/hr guy with a sign like the other 49 states.
- Oh you are too stupid and will likely accidentally give away your LTC card to someone who looks exactly like you, so unlike the other 49 states, you need this PIN# in order to process a LEGAL gun transaction in Mass. You don't need the PIN if you are going to buy a gun illegally.

I'm tired of this state saving me from myself. Their opinion is that we are all incompetents. GAH!

I concur. I went hunting many moons ago. Before I registered the location of the first hit on my target that day, I'd already jacked another round into the chamber, just in case. It was automatic. It just happened.

1. The exact opposite can happen. Especially if you (I) carry some safety and some non-safety guns. A lot can happen. Making it "point and click" is the most effective manner possible.

2. And this is the more important of the two points - F mASS! Seriously. F them. They suck!

Think about what the Legislators in MA have told us:

- Oh you are too stupid to handle firearms like the other 49 states so we need to make them safer.
- Oh you are the dumbest drivers in the world. So we need paid police details on all road crews. Not a $18/hr guy with a sign like the other 49 states.
- Oh you are too stupid and will likely accidentally give away your LTC card to someone who looks exactly like you, so unlike the other 49 states, you need this PIN# in order to process a LEGAL gun transaction in Mass. You don't need the PIN if you are going to buy a gun illegally.

I'm tired of this state saving me from myself. Their opinion is that we are all incompetents. GAH!
Excellent summary. I completely agree.

I concur. Especially as striker fire triggers get lighter&shorter&better over time they become closer to 1911 single action type triggers. Some strikers are fully tensioned as well-essentially "single action" for all intents and purposes. Noone in their right mind would carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked, but a light striker trigger (with all of their fancy internal passive safeties) with a manual safety is a big no-no?

I'm with you, I prefer a manual safety.

Yup. Check the Sig site. And check your model.

My free state also has a brass window. Is it possible they also added some type of tactile LCI to the MS-MA models?

I'm also interested if the MA version has the "this firearm is capable of firing without a magazine inserted" printed on it, because I doubt Sig put a disconnect in it.

My free state also has a brass window. Is it possible they also added some type of tactile LCI to the MS-MA models?

I'm also interested if the MA version has the "this firearm is capable of firing without a magazine inserted" printed on it, because I doubt Sig put a disconnect in it.
Mine does not have the Mag Disconnect or the warning.

I agree which is why, IMO, switching between those two platforms for CC is not a good choice.

Again, I agree 100% but if you're used to that battery of arms, it's like second nature to swipe the safety. I hate this nanny state with a passion and don't like the fact that I can't buy a free state version if I wanted.

I concur. Especially as striker fire triggers get lighter&shorter&better over time they become closer to 1911 single action type triggers. Some strikers are fully tensioned as well-essentially "single action" for all intents and purposes. Noone in their right mind would carry a 1911 cocked and unlocked, but a light striker trigger (with all of their fancy internal passive safeties) with a manual safety is a big no-no?

Yes, one more measure of safety is a good thing.

In 2019 it's just dumb most of the time.

Further, most safety systems are not as ergonomic or intuitive as what's found on something like a 1911. Hell I still thumb sweep the slide out of habit almost, but that doesn't work on all guns as the levers not exactly in the same place.

On a typical striker fired, polymer framed handgun most of these stupid levers just get in the way. I just find them inherently dumb. And none of them work as good as the 1911's safety does. So I'd rather not have it at all.

Also I don't like MA bullshit on principle and refuse to own anything that was modified to make the state or the AG happy.

-Mike

Are you sure about that? My free state 365 has the window to see the case.

Maybe they only started marking the barrel one way, but it used to be only the mass guns (or perhaps guns for other shithole states) had that notch in the hood.

-Mike

In general, as a lefty, manual safeties are not designed with me in mind. While there are some that are ambi, the majority are not. My choice is to compromise my grip to disengage it, not use it (in that case, why have it?), or some other stupid solution to a problem that doesn't need to exist.

In 2019 it's just dumb most of the time.

Further, most safety systems are not as ergonomic or intuitive as what's found on something like a 1911. Hell I still thumb sweep the slide out of habit almost, but that doesn't work on all guns as the levers not exactly in the same place.

On a typical striker fired, polymer framed handgun most of these stupid levers just get in the way. I just find them inherently dumb. And none of them work as good as the 1911's safety does. So I'd rather not have it at all.

Also I don't like MA bullshit on principle and refuse to own anything that was modified to make the state or the AG happy.

-Mike

I should have been clear as the 1911 manual safety platform is, as you stated, the most ergonomic, intuitive out there and the only one I'll use. God Bless John Moses Browning!

Absolutely agree on the MA AG bullshit but that style safety has been around a hell of a lot longer than her boney, f__king ass!

Last edited:
I'm still coming up with this when I search, and my original comment came after a conversation about the differences at the Sig Pro Shop. At that time they had the safety version but not the MA version.
365-9-BSS discontinued, older sights
365-9-BXR3 current main model
365-9-BXR3-MS additional of manual safety
365-9-BXR3-MS-MA addition of manual safety and brass indicator

Maybe it's a matter of the size of the windows or Sig figured out it really doesn't make sense to make 2 barrels.

My new MA compliant 365 has the load indicator. While I like the safety, I respect those that don’t, but I absolutely hate the load indicator. It’s so flipping stupid.

I picked up a P365 today at Mass Firearms and noticed behind the counter the wall was stacked 12 to 15 boxes high for the entire length of the counter. When I commented on the number the salesman said there is a mess more in the backroom. So anyone interested there enough to go around.

I don't know how many extras they got but they pre-sold over 200 of them. They must have ordered damn near a pallet of them

but I find the magazine release awkward. Maybe it’s just my arthritis.

I was at Panthera Training center this spring and another classmate brought his EDC P365 and let me shoot his. It was only one mag but I thought the mag was a little hard for me. For me it was not arthritis.....I just have big hands.

I like the size and the safety of the P365. I'm amazed it's smaller and about the same weight (empty) as my little LC9s.
Sig Sauer P365 vs Ruger LC9s size comparison | Handgun Hero
The safety on my LC9s has almost no detent and can be flipped down with almost a casual sweep of the thumb. Which is a bit worrisome. It's too easy.

Maybe some owners of MA approved P365 pistols can fill me in on the operation of the 365 safety? Does it "click" solidly when set to Fire? Or is it mushy?
I'm also dying to know if the MA approved P365 has a screw-up MA approved Trigger? Or is it the standard Free-State trigger?
Thanks,
Rich

Just what they told me at the pro shop, all models have the same trigger pull.

I like the size and the safety of the P365. I'm amazed it's smaller and about the same weight (empty) as my little LC9s.
Sig Sauer P365 vs Ruger LC9s size comparison | Handgun Hero
The safety on my LC9s has almost no detent and can be flipped down with almost a casual sweep of the thumb. Which is a bit worrisome. It's too easy.

Maybe some owners of MA approved P365 pistols can fill me in on the operation of the 365 safety? Does it "click" solidly when set to Fire? Or is it mushy?
I'm also dying to know if the MA approved P365 has a screw-up MA approved Trigger? Or is it the standard Free-State trigger?
Thanks,
Rich

The P365 with the manual safety has the same trigger as the non manual safety version. The safety has a fairly positive click, it's not mushy. It's not as good as a 1911's but it's unlikely to be activated on or off by accident.

I'll probably get the free state grip module and remove the safety. I'm used to DA/SA w/out safety (Sigs and CZ), and Glocks, and not used to 1911 style so I don't want to learn that.

Just waiting on the XL grip module, will need gimped mags too.

I'm still coming up with this when I search, and my original comment came after a conversation about the differences at the Sig Pro Shop. At that time they had the safety version but not the MA version.
365-9-BSS discontinued, older sights
365-9-BXR3 current main model
365-9-BXR3-MS additional of manual safety
365-9-BXR3-MS-MA addition of manual safety and brass indicator

Maybe it's a matter of the size of the windows or Sig figured out it really doesn't make sense to make 2 barrels.

Same barrel on all three. The -MS and -MS-MA models are identical. Only the box is different. I had all three out and compared and you can’t tell the difference except for the no safety version. Trigger the same on all of them.

So who currently has the best price for a new P365 in MA?
I'd prefer one without the safety, but if everything else is the same, such as trigger pull/feel, etc. then I could live with the safety.

Editing to add, if anyone has fired both versions (with and without safety), can you comment as to if there's any difference in the trigger pull?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to everyone!

So who currently has the best price for a new P365 in MA?
I'd prefer one without the safety, but if everything else is the same, such as trigger pull/feel, etc. then I could live with the safety.

Editing to add, if anyone has fired both versions (with and without safety), can you comment as to if there's any difference in the trigger pull?

Thanks, and Happy New Year to everyone!
I've fired both, other than the safety itself I didn't notice any difference. The extra length of the 12 round mag helps more than you'd expect. There is a baseplate at Sig Sauer P365 Magazine Baseplate by fiftystiff but its flat. Someone who does this kind of thing should be able to turn it into an extended plate for a 10 round pretty easily.

If you're looking for a non-MA in MA you'll be limited to a FTF, I see plenty out there, you just won't be getting it new from a dealer.

Back
Top Bottom