1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Whole House Water/Sediment Filter - Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by MrScrewzloose, Sep 12, 2014.

1. MrScrewzloose

MrScrewzloose

I've gotten to a point where I'm fed up with my towns (Billerica) inability to keep grit/sediment out of the water system. My area is currently undergoing town sewer construction and on a weekly basis I have grit/sediment coming into the house, not to mention the constant discoloration. Drawing a bath, grit. Our toilets water tank have layer of grit on the bottom. I'm constantly having to replace faucet cartridges and clean screens. Flushing my water heater every three months, lots of sediment, its taken a beating. This was occurring prior to the construction but no where near as regular.

That said, I've been thinking of installing a whole house water filter. I'm not looking for carbon/reverse osmosis system, just a system to catch the sediment before entering my house's water system. I've been reviewing GE systems (http://products.geappliances.com/ApplProducts/html/GEAResults.htm#Category=Household_Filtration)

My questions to the brains of NES.

- Pros/Cons?
    - Anything I should be aware of before installing?
    - Alternatives?

Many thanks in advance!

2. northny

northny NES Member

Between Cabelas and Harvard Sportsmen’s Club
    I have had them in two houses. They work well for what u describe. I always use smallest wound filter and have not noticed any pressure drop. When buying make sure it has it's own shut off for changing filters. The last one I bought had the two male adapters includes that are needed for installation. I also put piece of duct tape on housing and write filter install date on tape.

3. Teknatic1

Teknatic1

I have one (we have well water) and have clear water with no sediment after the filter. Note that there is a check valve built into the housing, so if you do not have an expansion tank after the filter, your water heater can build pressure in the system possibly damaging pipes, valves, or appliances.

4. mremski

mremski

people on wells pretty much always have them. An alternative to having a shutoff is installing 2 in parallel; that lets you shut off one for changing without shutting off the whole house. Changing them is typically not a problem, but if you run into an issue you want to be able to still have water in the house. Make sure the filter size is common; HomeDepot/Lowes/WalMart have good selections of filters (different "gauges" or hole size, some carbon ones that help taste).

5. Rockrivr1

Rockrivr1 NES Member

Good topic. Found out that the house we purchased in Mendon failed the well water test and a filter needs to be installed. Be interesting to see what they install to fix that.