Who would try to take a loaded gun in a carry on

People forget stuff in their bags every day.

"The TSA says it found 3,390 firearms at checkpoints nationwide last year."

Wait, that's a little more than NINE guns a DAY!

As the saying goes. Two things are infinite: universe and human stupidity. But I’m not sure for the universe.

Last edited:
Maguire did not have a license to carry in Massachusetts

Ooops. The actual act of having a gun in your carry on is civil, not criminal. A friend of mine who lives down south did this, and I think it ended up costing him $1,500 or so. He wasn't allowed to fly that day, had to rent a car and drive 16 hours to where he was teaching, and was made fun of by his friends in the Sheriff's department who held on to the gun until he got back.

In his case the dumbassery was compounded because his range bag doubles as his carry on bag. Which he's been warned about a couple of times.

Even smart people do dumb things sometimes.

Ooops. The actual act of having a gun in your carry on is civil, not criminal. A friend of mine who lives down south did this, and I think it ended up costing him $1,500 or so. He wasn't allowed to fly that day, had to rent a car and drive 16 hours to where he was teaching, and was made fun of by his friends in the Sheriff's department who held on to the gun until he got back.

In his case the dumbassery was compounded because his range bag doubles as his carry on bag. Which he's been warned about a couple of times.

I think it depends on the locality where it happens. Some of the more gun-friendly ones are civil only assuming the person was otherwise legal. Some state/county made the news recently for basically saying they will only issue a fine for this "offense" and no arrest etc. Others I'm pretty sure it's probably a felony, or some redundant state law that makes it
one.

On the rare occasion I air travel these days, I go through my bags with a fine tooth comb, usually I find a knife or something they won't like.

-Mike

A couple of weeks ago I forgot to pack my cheap pocket knife into my checked bag. I found it before I reached the check point and just tossed it in the trash.

Someone I know traveled with their credit card knife in their pocketbook and totally forgot about it. They left it behind just in case they found it the next time. I sure she would have been fine to have it on her.

News is saying he's licensed in FL, NV, and UT. Even if he was ignorant of MA laws, if he still thought he could carry-on a gun, then those licenses must involve pretty limited training...

If the guy is flying like every day to different places I can maybe see it might possibly happen to a licensed person.

I mean how many times do we say to ourselves "oh yea, I forgot, I have a gun on me" because to a lot of us it's second nature.

But....to be unlicensed...in an airport? That amount of stupidity is hard to believe.

News is saying he's licensed in FL, NV, and UT. Even if he was ignorant of MA laws, if he still thought he could carry-on a gun, then those licenses must involve pretty limited training...

Plus, the articles seem to indicate he is a MA resident, so... oops.

With MA Judges, no worries, he'll get right off and get caught doing the same exact thing 8 more times, just like the DUI offenses.

He said that Maguire works for Amazon and was traveling on business. This morning when he went to leave, he couldn’t find the carry-on bag he normally uses. The bag he grabbed for the storage closet instead already had the gun inside.

Where is the charge for improper storage? The attorney is basically admitting to it.

Kyle Maguire, of Bridgewater.....[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Maguire did not have a license to carry in Massachusetts but can carry in Nevada, Utah and Florida.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]So does he live here or not? Was he just staying in Bridgewater but lives in another state? If he is a Mass resident with no Mass license then how did he get the gun? If he is not a Mass resident and he came here from somewhere else with the gun what airport security missed the gun the first time? [/FONT]

The article said he forgot the gun was in the bag. How long has he lived in MA? That's my first question. Sure, he might be from FL or NV. So, did he bring all his arsenal to MA and forget to get his lic???

Where is the charge for improper storage? The attorney is basically admitting to it.

Depends on how secure that storage closet is. ;)

I can't believe the amount of people who lose track of firearms and people who think nothing of using their range bag as a carry on. .

Kyle Maguire, of Bridgewater.....Maguire did not have a license to carry in Massachusetts but can carry in Nevada, Utah and Florida.

So does he live here or not? Was he just staying in Bridgewater but lives in another state? If he is a Mass resident with no Mass license then how did he get the gun? If he is not a Mass resident and he came here from somewhere else with the gun what airport security missed the gun the first time?

He's got a Utah license and nothing else- He might be waiting on a MA license.

The TSA says it found 3,390 firearms at checkpoints nationwide last year.

They're getting better on screening, but its only a number of time before idiots start using statistics like "Recovered firearms on flights are up 400%" while pushing aside that stupid 90% failure rate.

Last edited:
ok, now reading this it sounds like he should have clammed up and got a better lawyer than one quoted above. ??

Just yesterday I got a call from my sales director, he just spent the last 4 hours detained in Philli airport when they found a Walther 9 mm in his carry on bag. The cops told him it happens all the time. Long and short of it is they gave him a court date the end of the month for a misdemeanor of disturbing the peace by causing a checkpoint line to close temporarily and to inconvenience those behind him. Could be a $1500 fine and up to 90 days in jail. I told him its a good thing he was in the city of brotherly love and not at Logan.

Nothing in MA or FL training requirements wrt to teaching where guns are prohibited.

In fact MA has an obscure CMR making ANY POSSESSION of firearms illegal on ALL of airport property unless unloaded in a locked case for checked luggage. I'm willing to bet 90+% of MA BFS instructors aren't even aware of said CMR.

And common sense isn't all that common.

Nothing in MA or FL training requirements wrt to teaching where guns are prohibited.

In fact MA has an obscure CMR making ANY POSSESSION of firearms illegal on ALL of airport property unless unloaded in a locked case for checked luggage. I'm willing to bet 90+% of MA BFS instructors aren't even aware of said CMR.

Contrast that with the airport in Savannah Georgia - you can carry there right up to the "secured area" which has LARGE signs clearly stating "no firearms past this point", (or equivalent wording).

That's why you have to check the airport policy, the airline policy and TSA policy before you get anywhere near the airport with a firearm. It's on you as a gun-owner to know what the laws are.

Spending time in CT and GA and traveling between the two states has really made me more aware of this.

Good point. Still, if he cared enough to get licensed, then I'd have thought he would have been knowledgeable enough about guns to realize a carry-on is a poor idea, in any airport.

Clearly no. People never cease to surprise me.

People forget stuff: I flew from Boston to Houston with a Spyderco Paramilitary 2 in my pocket. Yes, I went through a metal detector. I didn't even notice until that night. I was out eating barbecue, and my knife was right there in my pocket.

I UPS'ed it home... didn't feel like counting on "good luck" twice.

You would think, but no. Since I travel around the country a bit for both vacation and business, I spend a fair amount of time figuring out where I can and can not carry. Some people just assume that a LTC is like a DL in that once you have one in one state, it's good every where.

I'm also surprised at what I see at airports in terms of what people think can be carried on. It doesn't help that how the policies are enforced varies from airport to airport, but that's a different story.

Good point. Still, if he cared enough to get licensed, then I'd have thought he would have been knowledgeable enough about guns to realize a carry-on is a poor idea, in any airport.

Clearly no. People never cease to surprise me.

A couple of weeks ago I forgot to pack my cheap pocket knife into my checked bag. I found it before I reached the check point and just tossed it in the trash.

Same thing just happened to me with my BG380 in my pocket, I also tossed it in the trash![rofl]

Not in MA. carrying on or attempting to even a knife is a felony.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom