1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Who wears hearing protection when riding a motorcycle?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by timbo, Jul 19, 2019.

1. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

Modular helmet with bluetooth speakers for music. Howard Leigh earplugs under that. On the occasion when I ride without a helmet, earplugs. It's not the engine or the pipes, it's the wind and the other vehicles' tires.

milktree likes this.

2. Mr.E

Mr.E

Ya but is that on a track?
    And who are the best riders in the world? V Rossi?

3. Greg

Greg

Yes,on the track but the science is still the same.

Pains me to say it,but as of the last 5 or so years Marquez is the best rider on the planet.

I'm tired of all the midget Spaniards dominating MotoGP.

Hopefully the French dude Quaterero will get a factory ride and challenge Marquez,he seems really damn good.

4. dontpanic

dontpanic

When shooting: Hear-os foam earplugs under earmuffs.

When riding: foam earplugs under a full-face helmet. The reduction in fatigue is amazing - I wish I'd started decades ago. Makes rides a lot more pleasant, too.

milktree likes this.
  5. Keeper

Keeper NES Member

Always. I wear musicians ear plugs most of the time. They good for about 11db and have a channel to allow more clarity. This version has a plug for the channel making them a flatter NRR at 15db which I use on the bike. 15db is also adequate for trap or .22. They are faster to put in than foam plugs, washable, and I can hear better without taking then out to get gas. There are similar plugs out there but these come with a spare plug. If you buy two sets, you'll have three pair.

https://www.amazon.com/Zildjian-HD-Ear-Plugs-Light/dp/B013HS22F2/

6. weekendracer

weekendracer

I met a Colin in a parking lot in Conroe, Tx. This guy was talking all kinds of 'high speed/low drag' motorcycle riding. How much he hated Ducatis. I thought, "Who is this clown?". The next time I was in town, I brought my motorcycle, Colin wasn't there, never got another chance to hang out with this person.

Um, yeah. Superbike Champion that year. To be honest, he was cool af in person. He was showing off his new sponsors on his leathers.
    Colin Edwards - Wikipedia

Who'd think you'd meet the world champion in a parking lot in Conroe?

Edit: Ok, just looked at his timeline, he was racing against US competition when I met him. But still, odd encounter.

Greg likes this.
  7. arsco

arsco NES Member

8. Greg

Greg

Colin Edward's was Rossi's team mate in Yamaha MotoGP..awesome dude,seems really cool.

9. rali

rali

I used to use Koss earbuds; I’d heat up a nail and melt a channel through a foam earplug and attach them to the ear buds. That was in the mid 90s.

My income went up and I burned myself too many times and after experiencing custom earplugs (Made at WSB round at Lagune Seca in ... 1999?) I started researching musician in-ear monitors.

These days, they’re custom molded Westone units from an excellent audiologist in Littleton. Cost a medium sized fortune and worth every bit of it.

My brain is worth the best helmet and my hearing is worth the best protection. Insert lecture on “all the gear all the time” here.

R, 35 year rider

10. weekendracer

weekendracer

Yeah, it was somewhere in the mid 90's. But seriously, it'd be like running into Miculek and hearing him talk about shooting, if you didn't know who he was. You'd be like "sure old man, tell me how they do it". He lives about 2-3 hours north of me. I'm hoping to meet him before he goes.

Greg likes this.
  11. Greg

Greg

Im a big fan of american (obviously) GP riders,unfortunately no more are around..I think Colin was the last to compete..Ben Spies was great,but it seems Yamaha sabotaged him,especially at the Laguna race where his forks just failed right before the corkscrew.

[​IMG]

wiryone1 likes this.
  12. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

For a while.....

13. wiryone1

wiryone1

I remember watching Nicky Hayden at Mid Ohio many years ago before he made it to Moto GP. He ended up crashing hard going into the first turn after the long straight while leading. He was up and walking around frustrated that he stuffed it. Amazing to watch those guys at work. The crashes they walk away from like nothing happened still astounds me.

14. powerman

powerman NES Member

Yes I use them when I remember, about 50 percent of the time.
    Helps me on long rides, I don't get as tired. I think your brain has to cancel the noise which wears on you

15. dwarven1

dwarven1 Appleseed Instructor Dealer NES Member

Not just "can" but "DOES". I could show you my audiologist's report on my mid-range hearing damage if you really want.

I do not pull out of my driveway unless my Howard Leight Max plugs are in my ears. I buy 'em 200 pairs at a time; super cheap and super effective. I'm terrified of losing what hearing I have left. Helmet also has a Cardo Scalarider headset; I can still hear my music and most important, my wife's voice easily.

Amazon.com: howard leight max earplugs

slap shot likes this.