• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

who wants to go skeet shooting with me?

its always a blast to blast things out of the air. Just wish i could get away more often (and/or taunton did it more often then a few hrs sun mornings)

nice glad you hit em'

Thanks. I went into it just hoping to hit one. So I surpassed my goals for sure and may have gotten bit by the trap bug.

I was killing myself buying 00 and slugs to use for target 7.5 and 8's are less than half the cost. And for $3.50 for 25 clays is a steal. I am deff going back.

- - - Updated - - -

its always a blast to blast things out of the air. Just wish i could get away more often (and/or taunton did it more often then a few hrs sun mornings)

They told me once it warms up they do it on Wednesdays too which is great because that's my day off.

Glad you had fun! I shoot at Massapoag almost every weekend. Let me know if you ever want to check it out. We have 3 skeet fields and one trap.

Last edited:
Biz:

See the GOAL Cup Trap thread in the Shotgun Competition sub-forum.

You've tasted the Orange Kool-Aid....now chug it like a real man!!!!!

Glad you had a good time. I visited Uxbridge once, and got there late, as you did....and they did the same for me an my son.

pardon me for being a rookie but what is the difference?

Trap is where guys rest their muzzle on their toe, don't talk to each other, and obsess over their one miss out of 100 rounds of targets that always fly straight out away from you.

Skeet is where you walk around with your gun, chit chatting and ball busting while taking turns shooting at close fast targets, often moving left-right/right-left.

Trap is where guys rest their muzzle on their toe, don't talk to each other, and obsess over their one miss out of 100 rounds of targets that always fly straight out away from you.

Skeet is where you walk around with your gun, chit chatting and ball busting while taking turns shooting at close fast targets, often moving left-right/right-left.

thank you. at Uxbridge they went left right and straight, but we had planned on going to this place in RI called addyville that sounds more like the skeet my buddy told me there was like 20 stations you walk around to to shoot from. They were having a competition Sunday so we couldn't go. Hence why we ended up at Uxbridge

You clearly were not on my trap team. Ball busting was number one on the agenda but we backed it up with killer meals, laughs and beers. Didn't give a crap if we won but it helped. Truthfully outside of my team mates, it's the only thing I miss about that club and I was a hard core pistol guy prior to that.

The politics of getting too involved will never let me do another thing as an E board, committee or chairmen ever again.

Skeet has a low "house", and a high "house". At the extreme left and right stations, you have clays going straight away, and coming straight at you. It's fun, but at my age, I prefer trap.

Skeet has a low "house", and a high "house". At the extreme left and right stations, you have clays going straight away, and coming straight at you. It's fun, but at my age, I prefer trap.

that sounds pretty fun I deff need to hone my skills before i take that step. i need to find a choke for my shotgun too I think that will help

The house on a trap field will throw the targets out within a 90 degree area

http://constructionwork.com/resource/automatic-trap-field-layout-with-softfall-danger-zone/

but the targets are allays moving away.

skeet has two houses, the targets are thrown the same each time, but the shooter moves to each position, where the targets will be crossing at various angles, requiring various leads
http://redlandsshootingpark.com/skeet/shooting-101/

Addiville farms in RI is a sporting clays course. There, you will see a wide variety of target presentations simulating bird hunting, its tons of fun.

so going off of that page it looks like we shot trap but the trap house(guessing at name) shot the clays to the left right and straight

was enough fun for me I think i will try to hone my skills at that before trying skeet, where it looks like they come at you from all different angles.

Yes, the trap thrower is constantly oscillating left-right-left. When you call for a bird, and the operator pushes the button, You never know exactly which direction it's headed. That's the fun of it!

Yes, the trap thrower is constantly oscillating left-right-left. When you call for a bird, and the operator pushes the button, You never know exactly which direction it's headed. That's the fun of it!
My first time shooting trap, my very first bird was a malfunction and came out broken and low. I took a shot at it... [rolleyes]

That was confidence building.

My first time shooting trap, my very first bird was a malfunction and came out broken and low. I took a shot at it... [rolleyes]

That was confidence building.

my buddy did that a couple times, I never got one. But when they came out the guy yelled "no bird" and my buddy took the shot each time anyway and hit em. I told em to stop showing off with my gun lol

my buddy did that a couple times, I never got one. But when they came out the guy yelled "no bird" and my buddy took the shot each time anyway and hit em. I told em to stop showing off with my gun lol

It actually shook my confidence as I felt it was an extremely poor display of discipline. I shot at something orange and moving, not an identified good target.

I'm glad it wasn't some stupid kid riding his bike in the field with an orange cap on.

Don't worry about getting good at one before going to the other. Shooting is pretty much angles, lead and reaction. I think you were referring to Sporting Clays when you mentioned stations at Addievile Farm. Just go shoot and have fun. It sounds like you just realized that what people refer to as skeet is one particular game and does not refer to clays shooting in general. I am a skeet shooter. To me it is more social and challenging. When I take new people shooting I teach them skeet but will shoot some trap with them too. With trap they get used to the shotgun firing and they hit some clays to gain confidence. Then its more skeet lessons because there is no question for me which one is better. Skeet all the way. That's just my opinion but I will shoot all different sports to switch it up and have fun. I will give you some advice on here quickly. Try to keep it simple in the beginning. I guarantee almost every person you shoot with will tell you different stuff once they find out you are new. Everyone is a teacher out there. Just pick a few good shooters and listen to them. Good luck and even if you suck in the beginning don't get discouraged. Have fun.

I shot trap for the 1st time this past Sunday. Man, I'm hooked!!! It's nothing like shooting a static paper targets. People up in Reading were very nice and welcoming. Definitely going to shoot more trap.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OK now I have a question. My pump shot gun does not have a choke. I searched a little bit for universal chokes because the gun is generic and couldn't find anything. In order to put a choke on it do I need to take it to a smith and have him thread the outside of the barrel? And could somebody school me on chokes as to what kind I should be looking at? Not looking for top of the line just something to help control the spread a bit I guess

Easiest is to buy a new barrel with inside threads so you can change out chokes to whatever you're using it for. You can't choke a non threaded barrel without a lot of engineering. Many barrels have chokes that are built in when it's manufactured.

A 28'' barrel with a modified choke is probably the best all around barrel for all clay sports and hunting. It is however not ideal for trap or skeet. Skeet shooters usually use a more open choke, as well as shorter barrels. 26" is common. Trap shooters prefer tighter, improved modified, full, and extra-full, along with 30''or even 32" barrels, because of the longer ranges in the game. Don't forget your shots need to be more precise with a smaller pattern.

Except for borrowed guns, to try them out, all I've ever used is my old 870 with 28" modified barrel. Unless you get seriously bitten by the bug, don't worry about what the best set up for you is, just have fun. I hope this info is useful to you, and I haven't scared you off![laugh]

EDIT: Check you barrel. The choke should be marked on it somewhere. CYL= cylinder (or wide open) IC= improved cylinder MOD=modified IM=improved modified, and so on.

Last edited:
I hope this info is useful to you, and I haven't scared you off![laugh]

EDIT: Check you barrel. The choke should be marked on it somewhere. CYL= cylinder (or wide open) IC= improved cylinder MOD=modified IM=improved modified, and so on.

Very helpfull thanks and no you have not scared me off. Pretty sure there is no choke on the gun its straight and smooth on both sides I paid $70 for it so I think I will leave it as is and practice with it and then once I have decided where I want to focus my efforts buy a shotgun more specifically suited for that diciplin

Back
Top Bottom