who wants to go skeet shooting with me?

I am going skeet shooting for the first time at Uxbridge Rod and Gun club tomorrow morning. I was going with a co-worker who has shot skeet before but got called into work and can't go. I am still planning on going but I have never shot clays before and was wondering if anybody was around to give me some pointers. They charge $3.50 a round (20 clays) I would be more than happy to cover the cost of your clays.

Let me know I'd hate to spend my morning shooting air lol

sorry, dont go out that way, but If you ever want to come over to Taunton for some trap shooting Im all in.

well let me refrase myself... If anybody is going skeet shooting tomorrow in southern mass and wouldn't mind my company I have no ties to Uxbridge its just that they don't require membership to shoot clays on sundays. So I have no problem meeting somebody someplace else. I need it to be in the am though was planning on being in Uxbridge at 10 so somewhere else around the same time would work too

I'd be happy to meet up with you although I'm not sure tomorrow will work. I was planning to go over to Independent in Foxboro assuming the weather is decent. I don't believe they start until 1PM though.

Feel free to PM me, if not tomorrow, then we can set it up for another time. I generally shoot skeet 2X a week and travel around between two clubs in Sharon, and Independent in Foxboro

I have found that most clubs are more than happy to help out a newbie. I would suggest going to where ever it is you want to and tell them you are a first timer and ask for some direction and pointers. I think more often than not they will go way out of their way to help you out.

Hopkinton (2 skeet fields, one Trap field), Maspenock, (Trap) and Southboro (Skeet/Trap) all have clay shooting tomorrow open to the public. Uxbridge only has a trap field as far as I knew. Hopkinton starts @ 9:30, Southboro runs 1-4.

Have fun and break some clay!

I have found that most clubs are more than happy to help out a newbie. I would suggest going to where ever it is you want to and tell them you are a first timer and ask for some direction and pointers. I think more often than not they will go way out of their way to help you out.

I agree with this, with one caveat. If you are shooting trap, let the first couple groups shoot then join in. Those that sign up for the first couple squads tend to take it more seriously and, at least my experience with trap, there is a certain tempo to the game and serious guys really want to maintain that tempo. Watch a couple rounds and then join in, the secondary groups are much more fun to shoot with anyways. Good luck and it is so much more fun than shooting at static paper target.

well let me refrase myself... If anybody is going skeet shooting tomorrow in southern mass and wouldn't mind my company I have no ties to Uxbridge its just that they don't require membership to shoot clays on sundays. So I have no problem meeting somebody someplace else. I need it to be in the am though was planning on being in Uxbridge at 10 so somewhere else around the same time would work too

Manville Rod and Gun also does trap on Sunday mornings. No membership is required and the people there will be more than happy to help you out. I am a member there, but I'm not a trap shooter although I have done it.

Sundays (EXCEPT 1st Sunday Each Month)
9:30 AM to 12 noon

Wednesdays 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- April through July - Upper Trap Field
- August through March - Lower Trap Field

Fees: Members: $3.00 per 25 shot round
Non members = $3.50 per 25 shot round
Juniors = $2.25 per 25 shot round

It's closer than Uxbridge.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/Trap.html

Manville Rod and Gun also does trap on Sunday mornings. No membership is required and the people there will be more than happy to help you out. I am a member there, but I'm not a trap shooter although I have done it.

Sundays (EXCEPT 1st Sunday Each Month)
9:30 AM to 12 noon

Wednesdays 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM
- April through July - Upper Trap Field
- August through March - Lower Trap Field

Fees: Members: $3.00 per 25 shot round
Non members = $3.50 per 25 shot round
Juniors = $2.25 per 25 shot round

It's closer than Uxbridge.

http://www.manvillesportsmensrodandgunclub.org/Trap.html

Manville is in RI unless somebody met me at the border to transport my firearms once I stopped somewhere in RI I would be in illegal posession of a firearm.

Auburn Sportsman's Club Has Sunday morning trap.

I haven't done it yet, and if it is this windy tomorrow, not sure how fun it would be, if they do it at all. They've shot through the bitter cold of Winter, though.

I say go to Uxbridge, introduce yourself, and people will be friendly and help you out.

OP:

As stated above, new shooters are generally welcomed (if you were treated poorly, out the club!). Just let the guys running the field know that you're new, and you'll be fine.

Go get 'em!

I have no problems going alone. I'm a big boy[smile] If I can get help great, no biggy if I don't I have no problems shooting air my goal is to hit 1 clay lol.
(if you were treated poorly, out the club!).
no need to out anybody i haven't been there yet, but i will update this thread with a range report and my experience there and if I hit anything.

Last edited:
Manville is in RI unless somebody met me at the border to transport my firearms once I stopped somewhere in RI I would be in illegal posession of a firearm.

You aren't in Mass and you don't need anything special to transport into RI. Nor do you need anything special to stop here. You can drive to and from any shoot . You also cannot stop at say a store and leave your vehicle. You do if you are carrying a concealed firearm.

i would have gone with you if i didn't have so much to do today. maybe next time. good luck though, and have a blast![smile]

Angle Tree in Attleboro is rightdown the street from you and the guys there are excellent towards beginners.

That is the first positive comment I have heard about that club. I have no experience of my own with them.

I can recommend Hopkinton. I have been shooting skeet and trap there most Sundays lately(not today), although pistol season will be starting up soon and the shotgun will come out less often. I have also shot at Sharon fish and game and Independant in foxboro and can say both are very welcoming to a new shooter.

Just remember that that the end with the hole points away from you. That's where the bullet comes out. [laugh]

Just a heads up, its only trap at Uxbridge, and its hit or miss this time of year. Sometimes we shoot, but, if there are not five people......we won't shoot. If its cold, not too many show. I jjust hate for you to come all that way for nothing. Enjoy

Just remember that that the end with the hole points away from you. That's where the bullet comes out. [laugh]

Bullet? [rofl]

Like the others said I've never seen a club act badly towards a beginner but please let them know.
That's not saying there isn't one or more clubs out there.

Last edited:
wish I could help this weekend. busy weekend though i did get a nice massage yesterday. if your still looking next weekend I am going to try to get to taunton to try out my new over/under

star_wars_its_a_trap.jpg

That is the first positive comment I have heard about that club. I have no experience of my own with them.

Same here. I know people who are members there and even they tell me not to bother

- - - Updated - - -

Just a heads up, its only trap at Uxbridge, and its hit or miss this time of year. Sometimes we shoot, but, if there are not five people......we won't shoot. If its cold, not too many show. I jjust hate for you to come all that way for nothing. Enjoy

We called ahead they were great it was 10-12 we ended up getting there just before 12 and the guys there had no problem setting back up and letting us shoot

Same here. I know people who are members there and even they tell me not to bother

- - - Updated - - -

We called ahead they were great it was 10-12 we ended up getting there just before 12 and the guys there had no problem setting back up and letting us shoot

that was nice

So, how was it?

It was AWESOME! I have to say it extremely satisfying to smash a clay out of the sky. I started off with my saiga 12 most of the guys there thought I was nuts because of the short barrel but what can I say I love that gun. I only hit 6 out 25 with the saiga still for my first time was better than I hoped. My only other snotty is and old pump I scored for $70 12 out of 25 with that one. Nothing to write home about to most but I was pumped. My buddy ended up finishing with work quick so he was able to go too so that was good he shot 18/25 both rounds

2014-03-23_12-25-48_322_zpsdcd30682.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

that was nice

Can't say enough about how nice the guys there were. Welcomed us back again, we're there to help with technique, very nice guys.

Attachments

• 2014-03-23_12-25-48_322_zpsdcd30682.jpg
    2014-03-23_12-25-48_322_zpsdcd30682.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
It was AWESOME! I have to say it extremely satisfying to smash a clay out of the sky. I started off with my saiga 12 most of the guys there thought I was nuts because of the short barrel but what can I say I love that gun. I only hit 6 out 25 with the saiga still for my first time was better than I hoped. My only other snotty is and old pump I scored for $70 12 out of 25 with that one. Nothing to write home about to most but I was pumped. My buddy ended up finishing with work quick so he was able to go too so that was good he shot 18/25 both rounds

View attachment 98312

- - - Updated - - -

Can't say enough about how nice the guys there were. Welcomed us back again, we're there to help with technique, very nice guys.

nice glad you hit em'

Back
Top Bottom