who wants to adopt me?

what's wrong with writing manifestos? [/twich] [/twich]

Seriously though: MOVE OUT!

I'm one of those that got out of the house as soon as humanly possible. I don't understand the current trend of continuing to stay at home past you're expiration date. Just my opinion.

Becasue lots of us, rack up a bunch of loans going to school. or change majors a few times, and stay in school longer then 4 years, and Most low end jobs only pay 10-12 an hour. that is why people stay at home longer.

Becasue lots of us, rack up a bunch of loans going to school. or change majors a few times, and stay in school longer then 4 years, and Most low end jobs only pay 10-12 an hour. that is why people stay at home longer.

That's irrelevant. If you have loans and other things, you will just take longer. No big deal. The key is still to save as much as possible and buy as soon as possible. That's different for ever person whether it's 2 years of 5 years.

That's irrelevant. If you have loans and other things, you will just take longer. No big deal. The key is still to save as much as possible and buy as soon as possible. That's different for ever person whether it's 2 years of 5 years.

It is relevant, but shame on someone for swapping majors four or five times. Most of the graduates of high schools fail to complete college.

There is too much wish washy stuff and the posts about "love life =x1000" show that most of you never orientated yourselves properly. 18-21 is about studying. 21-25 is about getting your career going. There is no time for a girl. Too many guys focused on the girl in my college instead of finishing.

Living at home to save money for a down payment on a house, or to pay down loans, or whatever, great, as long as you have a goal. Living at home to be able to have more toys? Eh, not so much.

Dude for real man if you have cash like that to spend on guns like those, now is the time to buy a house. With all the foreclosures it sucks someone is losing their house but someones loss can be your gain. My wife and I are looking to bid on a few houses this week hopefully we get one. right now I live in a apartment so I know how it feels to have to sneak guns in and out. I have to sneak then in past my drug addict neighbors, and new guns I have to sneak past my wife. Always remember this if your wife isn't happy NO ONE IS HAPPY!

I will keep you in my basement with all your guns and ammo.I will provide you with essentials like crackers,apple juice,a bottle of lotion,a steel bucket,breath mints and 14 rolls of toilet paper.

You will be given a two way radio for direct communications,but,you must not speak unless spoken too.You may only come out of the basement for supervised walks and on certain religious holidays.

No fire or heat of any kind is allowed,you will be given a roll of yarn for warmth during the winter months.

Or you could get your own place.

I feel for you, I just went the other way - my parents swore they wouldn't let me keep a gun in the house for about the last year or so. I finally convinced them a few weeks ago and bought my first guns this weekend (thank you tax holiday [smile]). I plan on being out of the house by or before this time next year though, so hopefully I won't run into your situation.

I do think the best advice is to move out and buy some property, I hear this is the time to do it.

what's wrong with writing manifestos? [/twich] [/twich]

Seriously though: MOVE OUT!

I'm one of those that got out of the house as soon as humanly possible. I don't understand the current trend of continuing to stay at home past you're expiration date. Just my opinion.

Easier to save for a down payment when the rent is cheap (i.e. living with parents). After graduating college last year and finding a good job in the area, my choices were paying anywhere from $800~1300+ a month in rent + all utilities, food, cable, internet, etc, and saving virtually nothing for the future. My other choice was living with my parents for a couple more years, helping out where needed and saving up for my own house much faster than if I was renting. Can you guess which one I chose?

Don't get me wrong, I don't plan on living with my parents forever. Just looking at what an apartment in the area would be (800 for a tiny apt, 1300 for a rather large but still 1 bedroom apt, others in between those two), vs what a mortgage payment will be if I can put a moderate ammount down on it (900~1500 depending on final price of the house) it seemed like a no-brainer. I get along well with my parents and have my own room. What sense does it make to pay someone else a lot of money to get the exact same thing I have, almost for free? Either way I have a place to sleep, eat, shower, and relax. One way I save for my future, the other I give to soemone else's future.

I will keep you in my basement with all your guns and ammo.I will provide you with essentials like crackers,apple juice,a bottle of lotion,a steel bucket,breath mints and 14 rolls of toilet paper.

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.[laugh]

You will be given a two way radio for direct communications,but,you must not speak unless spoken too.You may only come out of the basement for supervised walks and on certain religious holidays.

No fire or heat of any kind is allowed,you will be given a roll of yarn for warmth during the winter months.

Or you could get your own place.

It puts it's lotion on it's skin....It puts it's lotion on it's skin.

Blood Hound,
A Condo is a good start. I live in one right now, but am looking to get a house as I am outgrowing the condo (wife, kid and a 60+lb weimeraner). I see you are on the Northshore, so moving to where I am wouldn't make sence, but it would be a mortgage somewhere in the 800's. No insane rules about gun/ammo limits... well, from the board anyways... my wife is another story. She thinks one gun is enough... women... they just don't understand.

I have to agree with those saying you should buy a place of your own. Guns and other hobbies are fine but no goddamn way could I live with my parents again and renting would be only a bit better.

This is a great time to be a first time real estate buyer.

There have been some great words of wisdom in this thread. It all boils down to priorities and maturity. If you are no longer in school, and are employed, then why are you still living at home, free? It's your parent's house and even though I might disagree with the views on firearms, they still have the right to set the rules. Unfortunately, you cannot have your cake and eat it too. If you want to live rent free, then there have been conditions imposed as nothing in life is really free, you end up paying one way or another.

Perhaps it is time to liquidate some of your firearms assets, amass some cash and take advantage of a buyer's market in real estate. You can rebuild your gun collection back, in a divorce once, I lost almost all of my collection, but over the years rebuilt it.

I suppose everyone has their own set of values on what it takes to be a man (or woman). I can only speak for myself, but if I were over the age of 21, not paying off horrendous school loan debt or going to school, was fully employed, I would ask myself what in the hell am I still living at home for? Of course you have the right to live whatever lifestyle you choose (and your parents allow in this case) but it would be difficult for me to justify myself as some kind of individualist who relies on self reliance and personal initiative (two traits that make us gun owners different from the "sheeple" around us, IMO).

Then again, I wouldn't want to be packin' iron at the range and having people whisper that I was a "mamma's boy" behind my back...but that's just me.

My two euros...anyway...time to fly out of the nest, my friend!

Mark L.

Time to move out...

Have I mentioned that I will offer NES member special pricing to buy my house??? Great neighborhood, great neighbors, close to major routes, public transportation, great yard, range 1.5 miles away! [smile]

Let me just defend myself a lil here...I'm 24...I have a financial advisor who invests the money I give him on a monthly basis for me...I did drive a $50k suv until a month ago when I downgraded due to my v8 sucking up so much gas so now its a brand spankin new $35k suv...I have enough money in the bank to put a down payment on a condo/house/whatever however...I've been trying unsuccessfully to be a cop for the last2 years...guess why I'm so unsuccessful at it...and since that hasn't panned out ill probably be goin back to med school so that when I get out in 4 years I can buy 20 acres in NH with cash! Better? ;)

Thank you for clarifying your position. I am puzzled however, why, if you have financial solvency (you must be gainfully employed in some field with a good salary otherwise you wouldn't, until recently,have been driving an 50K SUV) why you wouldn't want to leave home especially if your living conditions are not agreeable to you?

You say that you will probably "be going back to med school"...I take it that you previously were admitted and attended? Don't expect to get out with cash, though. Young physicians are frequently heavily in debt because of school expenses and it will take some time to pay off your debt.

As has been previously discussed (ad nauseum for some people, I'll wager) you might stand a better chance at getting a LEO job by applying out of state.

Frankly, you parents sound like very nice people for continuing to allow you to live at home.

All the best to you and good luck with future plans,

Mark L.

Let me just defend myself a lil here...I'm 24...I have a financial advisor who invests the money I give him on a monthly basis for me...I did drive a $50k suv until a month ago when I downgraded due to my v8 sucking up so much gas so now its a brand spankin new $35k suv...I have enough money in the bank to put a down payment on a condo/house/whatever however...I've been trying unsuccessfully to be a cop for the last2 years...guess why I'm so unsuccessful at it...and since that hasn't panned out ill probably be goin back to med school so that when I get out in 4 years I can buy 20 acres in NH with cash! Better? ;)

First of all we're not bashing you. At least I'm not.
It sounds like you make great money. And it's nice to plan on having good money later on like after med school etc. However, you and I both know that residents make shit for money...and if you're doing anything that will earn you good money you'll be a resident for quite some time making bad money. If you're 24 now, you'll be a resident by 28 and then making crap money for at least the next 4 years. Then you'll be a 32 year old doctor finally making decent money.

That's 8 years later.

Let me tell you one thing being just a few years older than you. EVERYONE with few exceptions lives paycheck by paycheck. Even with a huge pay increase, I still live paycheck by paycheck because I have a lot of bills. The more money you have, the more expenses you will have. I have my doubts that after becoming a doctor you will be able to buy a property in cash. (that isn't always wise thing to do anyway)

Ultimately it's up to you. I have no issues with people being 24 and living at home saving money. All but one of my friends did that. Most of my friends are buying property now at age 27. Some as early as 25.

Your financial planner: Consider that like a savings account you'll never touch. That's for later, much much later. Contribute as much as possible but realize that your retirement account does not make you rich just because you contribute.

You're getting a lot of crap for this post: Try and read through it. We're all trying to help.

Hell, talk to your parents about buying a small place. I'd be curious to see what their response is. My guess is they'd be more than willing to help you through the process.

Last edited:
4 years of med school are already paid for...no thanks to any kind of financial aid... all I have to do is get back in!

Well, I can understand why your living at home as I did that while I was in College to help save some money. Still had to work full time while at school and two full time jobs during the summer to make ends meet. Sounds like you've found some job(s) that pay fairly well. As you decide what to do, remember that current economic conditions make it so that this is a great buyers market. Value is falling and the interest rates are still low. A win win situation for buyers. These are siclical, but it may be 10 or more years before this situation comes around again once the current conditions change.

Someone suggested that you should think of getting a LEO job out of state. I know the job is hard, but NYC is WAY behind in their hiring quota. You could do that for a year and have a great reference for your resume to get a LEO job back in Mass. Yeah I know. NYC, but a job that gives experience is not a bad thing sometimes.

4 years of med school are already paid for...no thanks to any kind of financial aid... all I have to do is get back in!

Let me give you a situation and see if it makes sense to you.

Put say 30k down on a 300k duplex house.
Rent one side of it out for about 1500 and get a roommate/gf for 500.

You have $2000 in rental income.
Your mortgage will be roughly $2000.
You break even on payments.

Outcome: You have a place to live rent free. You are making roughly (in equity) $24,000 a year doing nothing but existing.

Imagine if you owned 2 or 3 houses. You'd make 60-75k a year and do absolutely nothing.

But of course you have to have the ability envision this for yourself.

Like the others said, it is a buyers' market. I also recommend a 3 decker type of situation. You can then have people paying you rent and this can pay your mortgage.

Like the others said, it is a buyers' market. I also recommend a 3 decker type of situation. You can then have people paying you rent and this can pay your mortgage.

Renting out to tennents isn't as easy or straitforward as it sounds. My father owned two rental properties, that he since has sold due to laws reguarding renting/screwing landloards. One tennent, after a few months refused to pay rent. My father sent repeated notices and phone calls of needing to pay the rent, which were ignored. Finally, after 3 months, my father went through all the proper procedures to evict the man. The man appealed the eviction in court, and won. Not only did my father now have to allow this man to live in the apartment, rent free, but he also had to pay all the man's court and lawyer fees for the appeal. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but it happened with two more tennents and my father (now thousands in the red with rentalsO decided to sell both properties. The new owners have had similar problems, one with the tennent described above.

Massachusetts laws do not protect your property rights...
-If you publicly advertise an a dwelling for rent, you cannot deny anyone for any reason. That means pedophiles, drug dealers, rapists etc.
-Failure to pay rent is NOT grounds for eviction and all court costs are the burden of the landlord.
-Tennents can refuse to pay rent for damages to the property, even if they caused them. One renter broke (shattered) the toilet. The time it took to get a replacement and get it installed was ~24hrs from the time my father was notified. The renter refused to pay rent for the month, citing unsatisfactory living conditions and won. How does one shatter a toilet?
-You can be held responsible for crimes/acts of violence committed on your property, even if it's by a renter you had objections about allowing to live there.
-And God forbid a renter or their guest slips on the floor, falls down the stairs or burns themself on the stove. They will own the house after that.

I have personally witnessed each of the above with rental properties my father owned, and after one of them was sold. It seems like a good idea on paper, but once you announce a "room for rent" you forfeit almost all of your rights to that property.

I've tried out of state police...NH and ME...no go...my skin is the wrong color and I'm not a vet...NYC pays their officers too little and the price of living is too high...also I hate the NY accent and NY mindset...finally...when I'm done with school I become part owner of a very lucrative private practice ;)

Move up my way, for crying out loud.

http://northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=534404

Renting out to tennents isn't as easy or straitforward as it sounds. My father owned two rental properties, that he since has sold due to laws reguarding renting/screwing landloards. One tennent, after a few months refused to pay rent. My father sent repeated notices and phone calls of needing to pay the rent, which were ignored. Finally, after 3 months, my father went through all the proper procedures to evict the man. The man appealed the eviction in court, and won. Not only did my father now have to allow this man to live in the apartment, rent free, but he also had to pay all the man's court and lawyer fees for the appeal. I wish I could say this was an isolated incident, but it happened with two more tennents and my father (now thousands in the red with rentalsO decided to sell both properties. The new owners have had similar problems, one with the tennent described above.

Massachusetts laws do not protect your property rights...
-If you publicly advertise an a dwelling for rent, you cannot deny anyone for any reason. That means pedophiles, drug dealers, rapists etc.
-Failure to pay rent is NOT grounds for eviction and all court costs are the burden of the landlord.
-Tennents can refuse to pay rent for damages to the property, even if they caused them. One renter broke (shattered) the toilet. The time it took to get a replacement and get it installed was ~24hrs from the time my father was notified. The renter refused to pay rent for the month, citing unsatisfactory living conditions and won. How does one shatter a toilet?
-You can be held responsible for crimes/acts of violence committed on your property, even if it's by a renter you had objections about allowing to live there.
-And God forbid a renter or their guest slips on the floor, falls down the stairs or burns themself on the stove. They will own the house after that.

I have personally witnessed each of the above with rental properties my father owned, and after one of them was sold. It seems like a good idea on paper, but once you announce a "room for rent" you forfeit almost all of your rights to that property.

I'm a landlord. You're somewhat right about that. The state does protect tenants more than landlords however it doesn't mean that landlords get screwed. I haven't had issues since buying in 2004.
Background check.

when I'm done with school I become part owner of a very lucrative private practice ;)
That's nice.
What about your own wealth though? What about if the practice fails or if malpractice insurance goes even higher?

And also...tenants...no go...I don't want to have to chase scumbags for momey every month
It's not always like that.
If you do that, it's your own fault for letting scumbag tenants into your house.

It's just like any other job where you invoice people to pay for services. You don't think people skip out on doctor's bills?

I do contract work in the collections industry. Much of the country's debt is medical. If you think you have an issue collecting rent, try collecting on healthcare.

Blood hound, you seem very resistant to the idea. I guess it's just not the right time for you to think about it so I'll drop it.

How about renting a cheap apartment and moving your guns there?

Back
Top Bottom