Who still has a "Green" MA license plate?

bigred460

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I have a green plate on my 2001 Mustang Cobra.. 12K miles. I cried when I saw that the dealer drilled the front bumper and put the cheap plastic plate holder on it.. According to them.. It's the law that they have to drill the front bumper.. BS..
That is BS, bought a new vehicle for the wife told the dealer NOT to put the plate holder on the front, they said no problem.

S&WMan

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
If I was to exchange my faded green plate for the new plates would there be an additional charge from the RMV. I just renewed my reg and my plate is worn, but not as bad as the ones shown on the refurbisher's website.

F2blica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I recently got my wife's car inspected and was surprised that they gave me a "reject" inspection sticker. I asked "for what reason?" And was informed that I needed two plates. The inspection station recently went to some class or seminar put on by the registry (I am assuming) and was told that inspectors were to issue rejection stickers to anyone with a green plate. If they don't, the inspectors will be fined. The registry wants the plates back and that's the way they have figured out to get people to turn them in. On a good note, (if there is one), there is no fee for swapping them. One thing that is odd is before you go to the RMV, you have to have you insurance company stamp a RMV3 form for proof of insurance. I guess it's to easy to just use yor current registation as proof of insurance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

cmcgraw2

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a parking ticket not long ago on my greenie car, on the front is a fake NV plate. The meter maid ticketed the NV plate, not the MA one...priceless. So there's that benefit.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I recently got my wife's car inspected and was surprised that they gave me a "reject" inspection sticker. I asked "for what reason?" And was informed that I needed two plates. The inspection station recently went to some class or seminar put on by the registry (I am assuming) and was told that inspectors were to issue rejection stickers to anyone with a green plate. If they don't, the inspectors will be fined. The registry wants the plates back and that's the way they have figured out to get people to turn them in. On a good note, (if there is one), there is no fee for swapping them. One thing that is odd is before you go to the RMV, you have to have you insurance company stamp a RMV3 form for proof of insurance. I guess it's to easy to just use yor current registation as proof of insurance.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk
This is a crock of shit!

Read here:
http://www.massrmv.com/rmv/regs/replace_plates.htm

The RMV is NOT recalling green license plates. By state law, Massachusetts license plates must be readable from 60 feet away. Any green or red passenger plate, which has lost its reflective coating or paint, must be replaced. You can be cited by law enforcement for this violation. Also, your vehicle will be ineligible to pass the yearly required state safety inspection.

The RMV encourages vehicle owners to swap illegible plates for a set of red plates at no fee. Faded and illegible plates can be swapped at any of the RMV's full service branch locations.

ProGun

NES Member
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I had a parking ticket not long ago on my greenie car, on the front is a fake NV plate. The meter maid ticketed the NV plate, not the MA one...priceless. So there's that benefit.
In the late 80s I had a green plate on my Chevette (I was in high school!) and put my grandmother's old FL plate on the front. Drove around with it like that for about a year. Never did get stopped or ticketed for having a FL plate on the front.[laugh]

Chris

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
When I got my first car, I had a green 135 LRC.

Then, when my grandfather passed, I transferred his reserved plate. The number has been in the family since it was first issued. Yea, I have to post 2 plates, but this number is now 3 generations...

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
rumor from a friend at the registry is they are yanking all the green plates next year by requiring front plates. Source is usually right on.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
rumor from a friend at the registry is they are yanking all the green plates next year by requiring front plates. Source is usually right on.
See my post above, direct from RMV website. I've also seen a memo from the Registrar posted elsewhere saying the same thing.

This rumor starts up every year like clockwork.

Rob Boudrie

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Then, when my grandfather passed, I transferred his reserved plate. The number has been in the family since it was first issued. Yea, I have to post 2 plates, but this number is now 3 generations...
Did he first get it when it was a "who you knew" rather than "lottery" system? If so, is there an interesting story, or is this just one of the 5 digit reserved plates you used to be able to get for an extra fe?

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
Citation?
I can't find it either, but I do recall reading something that claimed any touch-up/refurb was illegal and I thought it was from the RMV. Wouldn't surprise me if it was in an obscure CMR, as nobody knows what is in them and there is no useful oversight of what they put in CMRs.

Billsail

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I lost my perfectly serviceable green plate in 2013, when the station I left my car at for inspection while I ran some errands, actually took it upon themselves to send someone to the registry to swap it for red ones. I was pissed! But it was too late, the deed was done. Spouted BS about laws, blah, blah, blah. A'HOLES !!! [angry2]

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Fun fact: Massachusetts' red plates are actually very difficult to read by the automatic license plate reading cameras because the red on white lettering. Doesn't do much for red light cameras (since those just use a flash and take a picture), but the OCR and IR illumination from a plate reader fails hardcore.

That's why if you ever look closely, a lot of MA/NH LPR cameras use a dark amber LED to get some contrast.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I can't find it either, but I do recall reading something that claimed any touch-up/refurb was illegal and I thought it was from the RMV. Wouldn't surprise me if it was in an obscure CMR, as nobody knows what is in them and there is no useful oversight of what they put in CMRs.
I am not going to bother searching for it. The last time I saw reference to it was in my inspector training materials which I have no idea where it is. The green plate rumor has been around every year like you said but i was told they are taking a different approach to getting them off the road. No details yet

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Be wary at inspection time, the guys who are 100% by the book are supposed to somehow test the reflectivity of the plate.

I've seen a few out there that are pretty much illegible.

My wife still has hers, I plan to keep it as long as humanly possible.
My father still has a green plate - he found some place that refinishes them apparently to meet the reflectivity requirements. Now the thing looks like new. They're going to have pass some more laws to outright ban them if everybody gets them refinished.

Len-2A Training

Instructor
Instructor
NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 98.3%
59   1   0
I am not going to bother searching for it. The last time I saw reference to it was in my inspector training materials which I have no idea where it is. The green plate rumor has been around every year like you said but i was told they are taking a different approach to getting them off the road. No details yet
I always get my inspection done at a local dealership, no shenanigans. I'll have to ask them before my next inspection in August. Mine are readable and I have no desire to change them out until I move out of this state.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
My father still has a green plate - he found some place that refinishes them apparently to meet the reflectivity requirements. Now the thing looks like new. They're going to have pass some more laws to outright ban them if everybody gets them refinished.
2 plate requirement is what I was told. It is actually a rule now but green plates were exempt. Inspection stations will be enforcing it is what i was told. Again this is not official, just a rumor from a good source.
Just currious, if you send your 1 green plate out to be refinished do you just not drive until it comes back.

Top Bottom