Who speaks Eastern European? ;)

Resorting some ammo and I forgot I had this at the bottom but I forget what it is. [shocked]

IMG_0445.jpg

Is this 7.62x54R or 7.62x25? (In the tin)

Pretty sure that's 54r. I'm just going from memory and what I could find with Google.

Last edited:
Its 7.62x54mmR

You can tell because it has "440" on it, which is how much a can with that cal can fit inside.

Its 7.62x54mmR

You can tell because it has "440" on it, which is how much a can with that cal can fit inside.

+1. 7.62 and 440 rounds are the only things that are in human language (Russian in this case). Everything else is manufacturing/military product codes that can't be deciphered without proper reference materials.

ЛПС - type of bullet: Light Bullet Steel core (7.62x54R)

гж - bimetallic cartridge

ПО7-177-188 - manufacturing lot, factory, date of manufacture

ВТ 107/77 С - gunpowder, gunpowder lot/gunpowder manufacture date, factory that manufactured gunpowder

... we covered that in Russian 101, right before learning how to say "F U" in Kalashnikov [smile]

so it's 7.62x54R, steel cored ammo made in January of 88 with pretty old gunpowder (77).

Last edited:

ВТ 107/77 С - gunpowder, gunpowder lot/gunpowder manufacture date, factory that manufactured gunpowder

... we covered that in Russian 101, right before learning how to say "F U" in Kalashnikov [smile]

so it's 7.62x54R, steel cored ammo made in January of 88 with pretty old gunpowder (77).

why is 1988 written as 188?

Do you have a key that tells you all the differenct abbreviations? or you just nativly know that ЛПС is a Light bullet steel core?

thanks for that info, ive been wondering for a long time what the info means.

why is 1988 written as 188?

Do you have a key that tells you all the differenct abbreviations? or you just nativly know that ЛПС is a Light bullet steel core?

thanks for that info, ive been wondering for a long time what the info means.

I just run a search on Yandex (popular russian search engine) and a bunch of comrades were asking similar questions on their Russian military forum. I speak Russian natively. Some guy gave example what it all means. Also, there were some interesting info on evolution of 7.62x54R. Besides the LPS, there were many more kinds throughout the time, from adoption of Mosins and modern times. History of ammo is almost as interesting as the guns that shoot them.

Awesome, thanks!

I would guess that 7.62x54mmR made in 1988 would be intended for PKM's?

yes, LPS are "machine gun grade, mass produced ammo", so PKM would be the logical choice, although LPS ammo originated in 1954, long before PKM which was actually prototyped in early 50s.

Interesting that the army manual specifies that SVD should be able to hit human head with LPS in 300 meters, or 400 meters using the sniper grade cartridge, so if you got a decent gun, LPS should be pretty accurate.

Official storage is 25 years, however there are reports that some ammo, made as late as 60's is still used in service.

Back
Top Bottom