who shoots sharps rifles

bought in 1980's original big timber montana shiloh sharps 45/70 semi octagonal barrel with lyman tang rear and globe front sights , high grade wood. purchased from hunters rendezvous in pepperell ma.: person ordered it and never paid so i got it for $800 plus $100 for sights. pictured with 500 gr cast bullets and french nickel ruger new vaquero. on a good day have gotten 1.25" inch 4 shot 115 yard benched groups with smokeless handloads. you need a shoulder recoil pad; steel buttplate can hurt.
Sharps.jpg

Last edited:
I'll give you $1000 for it!

I have a Pedersoli Long Range Express in 45/70
I can't say I've gotten groups that good but still have a ton of fun shooting it.

I have a Sharps Long Range Express 34" heavy barrel 45/70 but rather than iron sights I have a Malcolm style telescope mounted on it,it's blast to shoot even wit 500+ gr bullets. My only complaint is that with the heavy barrel it weighs in at 14 lbs but that's my fault for ordering that type of barrel on the plus side recoil is very manageable .

I've got a C. Sharps 1874 in 2 7/8" Sharps (45-110) with a 34" tapered octagonal barrel, globe front sight and tang rear sight. I added a buck horn rear for CQC and room clearing...
bhqJCt3.jpg

Last edited:
I have a Shiloh Sharps that I bought from Hunter's Rendezvous many years ago. Sheldon was much younger but still pretty grumpy and he didn't like kids in his shop. He once showed me a picture of his unit and told me he was the youngest captain in the Green Berets. Quite a change from high tech soldier to 1850s mountain man.

never shot one but if i can relate a story....in mid 90's i belonged to the pueblo west sportsmans association in colorado. we had a rifle range iirc that went to 450 or maybe 500 yards. there was a member who'd show up with a sharps in 45/70, him and his buddy would set a trash can size piece of steel out at the range limit, so ~ 450 yds, maybe 2 1/2 to 3 feet off the ground and pound away with their rifles. i don't know what the other guy was using but i still remember the man with the sharps. he wasn't missing much, the steel always seemed to be clanging. this guy sat cross legged on the ground with his elbows resting on his knees. that's the memory i have of him after all these years. he was putting on a cool little show with his shooting. not as cool as quigly hitting that little bucket but impressive still. never saw what size his groups were, my sorry little scope couldn't see that far out. anyone that was around, they formed a little crowd behind him to watch. if anyone is interested here's a link to the club...
Home - Pueblo West Sportsman's Association

I have a Shiloh Sharps that I bought from Hunter's Rendezvous many years ago. Sheldon was much younger but still pretty grumpy and he didn't like kids in his shop. He once showed me a picture of his unit and told me he was the youngest captain in the Green Berets. Quite a change from high tech soldier to 1850s mountain man.

Hey, that's where I got my rifle too.

I shoot Sharps.

Dump that smokeless powder down the toilet and get real black powder.

It is the most fun gun I own. But it does have a huge downside ... all the older guys at the range will approach you and try to talk for hours.

It's like a Harley, gets you all the guys. [laugh]

I'm boycotting that gun store. When I bought my Sharps I called them to see if they would do a transfer when I ordered online.

The POS said YES, but said he had to charge me sales tax, because it was like buying a used car.

I laughed, hung up and never recommend them to anyone.

It is too bad, because despite all their overpriced guns, the shop has a cool atmosphere. Oh well.

I'll give you $1000 for it!

I have a Pedersoli Long Range Express in 45/70
I can't say I've gotten groups that good but still have a ton of fun shooting it.
The Pedersoli is a great Sharps. Probably has the best barrels.

I get sub MOA at 100 yards with a Pedersoli. I did spend weeks trying loads and even something as small as .2 grains makes a difference.

I shoot it with GOEX.

Mine loves 62.3 grains. 63 goes everywhere. 62 not quite as good. 70 shoots like 63.

I dont crimp the brass and I dont resize them. I cut then all to length on day one and let them be fire formed. I always use the same brass. I have over 20 shots on each so far.

I might get a die and try crimping, see what happens. The one problem I have is that the bullets can fall off the case, so I need to be very careful that I dont drop anything.

I’ve yet to jump in to loading black. I hear it’s the most accurate.
I did buy a whole bunch of starline brass to play with.
I need to get some accurate 5744 next which I hear is the cat’s meow for smokeless 45/70

I use 5744. I can only shoot to 300 yards and haven't found black powder to be worth the extra effort in loading and cleaning. It would be fun to organize a single shot rifle match but I don't know of a club that would allow a member to bring that many guests.

I have a Sharps in 45-70 that I bought new in the box back in 1991 for around $3,000.00. Its the one with the pewter shnobble. Probably should fire it someday.
I did that I guess. Purchased a Shiloh Long Range Express in .45/110 with most upgrades I paid 4200 in 2007 for it... when it arrived it was so well crafted and such an art piece that I couldn't bring myself to shoot it. I sold it a couple years later unfired. Hopefully the guy who purchased it was less effected by the fabulous craftsmanship then I was.

Back
Top Bottom