Who Shoots .17HMR?

How about optics? The BSA Sweet 17 seems to be a popular model. It comes in 3-9x40, 3-12x40, 6-18x40, etc. What do you guys use out to, say 200 yds? I'll most likely be using it to put holes in paper and explode inanimate objects.

I have a couple of the sweet 22's and they work well

I Have the Marlin 917v and its the most accurate gun i own . Its so accurate that its been banned from rimfire competitions at my club. All rimfire competitions are now .22 only because of my Marlin :). That being said it expensive to shoot but its one of my favorites.

The best part of owning a .17 (I have a Savage in 17hm2) is that people think your shooting a .22 until they hear the CRACK and then just give you funny looks like their .22 is broken or something.

Say, what's ammo cost like on the 17HM2??

Weird enough, about $7-$9 a box. Roughly 14 cents a round. It's a cool little round that makes a nice snap. Not practical for me but if you're in the market for that type id look into that. Beats the 17hmr price by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I have a Marlin xt-17 and enjoy it so far in my first few times out with it. First time I took it to the range with an allegedly bore sighted Bushnell Banner scope on it, and was shooting way left. The light was getting away from us but managed to put 20 rounds through it just to try it out.

Last time out brought a sighting target along and after 20 some clicks on the scope managed a 3" group off hand at 100 yards not too bad. I want to get a bipod or good shooting bag to see what this thing can really do.

Accurate enough to blow a spoon apart at 100 yards. My friend made a spinning plinking rig for his 22 with cheap silverware (fork, spoon and knife) his 10/22 managed to bend the utensils when hit. I shot at the spoon while resting on a box of bulk 22 ammo and put a hole through it and snapped the head of the spoon right off the handle. That little round packs a punch.

Consider the CZ 455. Interchangeable barrels are available, providing 3 different calibers. I bought mine in 22 mag, and have a 22LR barrel on order. There's also a .17 HMR barrel available.

One rifle, three calibers.

FYI the 22 mag is a laser beam.

Weird enough, about $7-$9 a box. Roughly 14 cents a round. It's a cool little round that makes a nice snap. Not practical for me but if you're in the market for that type id look into that. Beats the 17hmr price by a long shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

That's about right, thing is you really don't see it around much. The local shop has the same box on the shelf they've had since I bought my rifle (that was an employees and eventually was replaced by Savage after I bought it, I think my rifle has all of 50-100 rnds through it since Savage replaced my original rifle with an upgraded one) I think I'm the only one on Cape who shoots the stuff (I've toyed with selling the gun , as I don't get to shoot it much). It's the same batch of CCI stuff from a few years back that's prone to splitting cases. No biggie, just have to coax the occasional casing out of the chamber with your pocket knife. I tried the Hornady stuff (a newer batch from the same manufacturer of brass as CCI) and it was OK, I bought a bunch of it before Dick's stopped carrying it. The best (and cheapest) is either Eley or Remington (same brass manufacturer as each other) if you can find it. It's a fun round to shoot and the casings look soooo similar to .22lr from a distance, but the sound difference is damn cool.

Collectors Gallery in Stoneham has a bunch of this ammo and Win Mag. They have more ammo than Four Seasons too! Walmart always has the CCI and Hornady. If anyone has one near Woburn, I'd love to try one out again.

I have never had a problem getting the 17HMR. WallyWorld always has some of the CCI when I go in.

Just wondering and contemplating about buying a 17 HM2, does anyone have one? They seem like really cool rifles and the ammo is so much cheaper than 17hmr.

I bought the Barrel and bolt kit (requires a heavy bolt knob to slow the recoil down) from EA Brown years ago i dont recall the price or if they even still sell it. No you dont need a new stock if your 10/22 has a bull barrel but if it doesn't you can open up the barrel channel on a regular stock and use it. I checked an EA brown no longer sell the conversions.

Get a 17 HMR or 17 HM2? I can't believe how much cheaper the HM2 ammo is. Although it doesn't have that much more energy than the .22 LR, it just has a better trajectory and double the velocity.

Just wondering and contemplating about buying a 17 HM2, does anyone have one? They seem like really cool rifles and the ammo is so much cheaper than 17hmr.

I have a Savage MkII with the acutrigger, synthetic stock and bull barrel. It's a nice gun. If someone was local to me and cash were offered I might be tempted to part with it.

I was shooting my friend's Savage 93 17HMR earlier after seeing him put all his shots in the same holes at 50yds. Granted it wasn't that far, the scope he has wasn't that high powered. I was using CCI polymer tipped ammo which isn't too pricey.

Anyways, I had a 5 round loaded up and I fired the first round with ease. The Savage trigger is really crisp and light. Bullseye. The other 4 shots followed suit and I was shooting into the same holes. It isn't even fair to small rodents , they don't stand a chance up against the 17hmr. I wish I had a use for this because it is a ton of fun to shoot. No kick, high velocity, long range potential, there really isn't anything wrong with this cartridge except the price. $14 /50 isn't that bad but I can buy a 20rd box of 223 for $5 and I'll get a lot more power.

End of rant. If you are looking for a small game tack driver, get the 17hmr.

If you reload, get the .17 Hornet instead. More power (enough for fox and coyote), and you can probably reload it for the same price as .17 HMR at the store.

I read some of the older posts on .17HMR but they're just that, old. Anybody still (or started) shooting it these days? I'm considering it for my next purchase, something along the lines of a CZ 45x or Savage 93 series.
I have a savage 93 and use it for squirrel hunting (with 20gr bullets). The 17 gr make a mess, it is amazing what those little bullets will do to a red squirrel. But I dont use it much other than hunting, yah it is accurate but I think it is a little boring and expensive to shoot at the range.
The cz rifles are much better built rifles, I think you get what you pay for there but I have no regrets with my savage or the CZ453 in 22 that cost me 2x the savage.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom