Who Shoots .17HMR?

ToddDubya

NES Member
I read some of the older posts on .17HMR but they're just that, old. Anybody still (or started) shooting it these days? I'm considering it for my next purchase, something along the lines of a CZ 45x or Savage 93 series.

It's a cool round but expensive to shoot. Enough power to kill squirrels and other small game. I think they were not capable of taking down coyote but I bet with the right placement you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I read some of the older posts on .17HMR but they're just that, old. Anybody still (or started) shooting it these days? I'm considering it for my next purchase, something along the lines of a CZ 45x or Savage 93 series.
My brother just bought a Savage 93 and it is real accurate and so far he has had no issues. Ammo is about the same price as 9mm.

They are very accurate. Those 20gr bullets are sent screaming at 2000fps. Cool rifle but I have no use for it. Buy one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

I've been shooting the 17HMR on and off for a while now, in a lefty Savage 93. Pricey compared to 22LR, $11-$15 for 50. Can be very accurate, no recoil to speak of, longest I've stretched it was picking pieces of clay pigeon off a 200 yard berm. Not the most useful caliber I shoot, but lots of fun.

If you don't already have a CZ45X or Savage (or their equivalent) in 22LR, I'd recommend getting the 22LR first. Even match 22LR is cheap compared to 17HMR. If you've already got a good 22LR, than by all means pick up the 17 - you'll enjoy it.

Berkshires, eh? Ever shoot at Lee? I get over there about every other week after work, and can bring a left hand Savage 93R17..... [smile]

I am currently in the market for the savage.. I have decided I want to do some target shooting and after alot of research the. 17hmr is the round I want to go with! But I am having a lot of trouble finding the gun bass pro has a digital camo model as of 3 days ago with a Bushnell scope on it for 350.00 I was also in western ma on vacation went to I belive A&J? Its in houstanic they had two one with the thumb hole stock and one totally covered in woodland snow camo barrel and all for 415 ...But I dont want to buy it with a scope (have one for it) or in camo (its not a hunting gun and i am not tacticool) the straight gun is like 269.00 at bass pro when they have it.

I've been shooting the 17HMR on and off for a while now, in a lefty Savage 93. Pricey compared to 22LR, $11-$15 for 50. Can be very accurate, no recoil to speak of, longest I've stretched it was picking pieces of clay pigeon off a 200 yard berm. Not the most useful caliber I shoot, but lots of fun.

If you don't already have a CZ45X or Savage (or their equivalent) in 22LR, I'd recommend getting the 22LR first. Even match 22LR is cheap compared to 17HMR. If you've already got a good 22LR, than by all means pick up the 17 - you'll enjoy it.

Berkshires, eh? Ever shoot at Lee? I get over there about every other week after work, and can bring a left hand Savage 93R17..... [smile]

I've never been to Lee. Well, the club at least. I see it more as a fun toy than anything practical. In fact, I don't even have anywhere to shoot it right now; my club only allows 22lr. I just figured I'd get one and figure out where to shoot next. I suppose I could slap a scope on one of my .22s and use that til I outgrow it and then move up.

I am currently in the market for the savage.. I have decided I want to do some target shooting and after alot of research the. 17hmr is the round I want to go with! But I am having a lot of trouble finding the gun bass pro has a digital camo model as of 3 days ago with a Bushnell scope on it for 350.00 I was also in western ma on vacation went to I belive A&J? Its in houstanic they had two one with the thumb hole stock and one totally covered in woodland snow camo barrel and all for 415 ...But I dont want to buy it with a scope (have one for it) or in camo (its not a hunting gun and i am not tacticool) the straight gun is like 269.00 at bass pro when they have it.

Maybe A&Js could order a couple plain versions if there were buyers. The price tag is what keeps my interest. I like the idea of accurate "long" distance for short money.

Wow, I'm all over the place on this. A minute ago I said I'd stick with the .22...

They have like a zillion guns there and they are so friendly! I bet they could order one for you super nice folks I live in south eastern mass so that will be my only time there likely but a great shop! I am in maine this week hopeing bass pro may have one on my way home

+1 for the avatar

The Pittsfield MA Dicks Sporting Goods can successfully order Savages - they're the ones who ordered my MkII and 93R17 for me. Arrived fairly quickly, too. They also have the only DSG employee I would trust with a firearms order - MassMark here on NES. He should be back in town next week, unless he decides he'd rather stay where he's at.

Anyone who goes around on a rifle 360 degrees in one thread is someone who should just buy one. [smile] It's the only way you'll know for sure!

We have the Savage 93 and it is a fun gun to shoot. We also have a really nice 22 so the 17HMR get little range time. We been thinking about getting rid of the Savage because of that.

The Pittsfield MA Dicks Sporting Goods can successfully order Savages - they're the ones who ordered my MkII and 93R17 for me. Arrived fairly quickly, too. They also have the only DSG employee I would trust with a firearms order - MassMark here on NES. He should be back in town next week, unless he decides he'd rather stay where he's at.

Anyone who goes around on a rifle 360 degrees in one thread is someone who should just buy one. [smile] It's the only way you'll know for sure!

Yep. My friend went to Dick's a couple months ago for a .17HMR and what's good about that store is the clearance. The gun was originally $289 but was marked down to $179 because it was last years model. He called me up and told me not to go into Dick's because he was heading there and wanted to look at it and buy it. He knew I'd snatch it up in a heartbeat.[laugh]

Maybe I'll roll by Dick's tonight. I prefer to give my business to a little guy, but if they have a superb price I can justify giving my money to The Man.

I recently purchased an NAA mini masters pug(black widow) It shoots the .17. it def is a fast run round. The gun is pretty tiny tho so maybe thats why its a little more fun to shoot

My brother bought his at Dicks in Worcester about 3 months ago, he had to order it and it took forever but it was a lefty. I think he said they had a couple righty's in stock.
You might want to check out gallery of guns.

I'm among the Savage 93R17 crowd. It reliably pops paintballs at 100+ yards.

I've also shot my BIL's Ruger 77 in 17HMR. Very nice rifle, but I prefer the Savage.

I scored a new in box Winchester 9417 a month ago never knew they made one and the shop selling it had no idea what it was worth and I was stunned at the price so bought it on the spot and I'm torn as to shoot it, sell it or hang on to it unfired Cool round though especially in a lever gun.

How about optics? The BSA Sweet 17 seems to be a popular model. It comes in 3-9x40, 3-12x40, 6-18x40, etc. What do you guys use out to, say 200 yds? I'll most likely be using it to put holes in paper and explode inanimate objects.

Mine came with the BSA Sweet 17 mounted. I'll have to check magnification when I get home.

Something I haven't seen discussed much is the .17HMR's performance when a good breeze is blowing. I've found it to be blown around pretty easily. That said, it's a great round.

How about optics? The BSA Sweet 17 seems to be a popular model. It comes in 3-9x40, 3-12x40, 6-18x40, etc. What do you guys use out to, say 200 yds? I'll most likely be using it to put holes in paper and explode inanimate objects.

I've been using a Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 with a mildot reticle. They discontinued that model, but list a 6-18x44 that would be the closest equivalent, I think. Not the scope I'd pick if I were hunting with it - the higher magnifications have brightness issues that make dawn and dusk shooting difficult, but not a bad scope for the money. My 22LR Savage has a Mueller APV (4.5-14x40) on it, that would also be a good choice for paper punching with a 17HMR.

Something I haven't seen discussed much is the .17HMR's performance when a good breeze is blowing. I've found it to be blown around pretty easily.

Yeah, it does do that, doesn't it? I try to think of that as a feature of the cartridge, 'aiding' you in learning to read the wind.

[wink]

My 22LR Savage has a Mueller APV (4.5-14x40) on it, that would also be a good choice for paper punching with a 17HMR.

[wink]

If you get this scope make sure you use mid height scope rings as low rings will put the scope on the barrel of the 93

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom