1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

WHO set to raise pandemic alert

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Duxprep, Apr 29, 2009.

1. SA John

SA John Banned

ochmude: We're in the same foxhole on this one. Who'd a thunk it? Now I hope you're wearing some hi-level body armor because when the shooting starts and the grenades start to roll, I'm dragging you on top of me. It's good to have a Marine around!

2. ochmude

ochmude Marine Veteran

Okay, not a bad idea. I can get on board with that. However, a better idea would be for you to let me tag along when you head somewhere warm to watch pretty girls parade on the beach [wink].

3. SA John

SA John Banned

Done! (study your STD pamphlets closely)

4. Lynne

Lynne

Don't forget the mai tai's.

[smile]

5. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad NES Member

While some may argue that closing the border will do nothing to stop the spread of the flu, that is not the issue.

I worry more about a flood of Mexicans with sick family members who learn that while hundreds are dying in their country no one is dying in the US. Imagine the flood of them coming into the border states seeking medical attention. FEMA refugee camps, anyone?

Obama won't have the balls to send any back, we will wind up providing them with food, shelter, medical care at the expense of the US taxpayer since no other country will lift a finger to help. When it's over none of them will want to go back and our "leadership" will just wring their hands.

Foundation for a North American Union, anybody?

1 person likes this.
  6. richc

richc NES Member

+1... agree fully on that perspective.

Rich

7. ochmude

ochmude Marine Veteran

Likewise. That is a valid concern.

8. MassMark

MassMark

When I read the title, I thought The Who was getting back together to raise some money...Will suck with Entwistle gone....

9. doobie

doobie Banned

The cost of .223 seems cheap after reading that.

10. packingungal

packingungal

I take ALL my survival equipment and foodstuffs with me whenever I drive...I might get pushed over a ledge and lay there for weeks...so I'm prepared.

11. gjones77

gjones77

Has anyone else noticed that a perfect storm is brewing, between the discontent the people have with their government, a possible pandemic (mind you, I don't consider it such until I start seeing the body count in the hundreds in large concentrations), and the complete fire sale on guns and ammo.

More and more I start seeing northern New Hampshire as a pretty good place to be when the fecal matter hits the rotary oscillator, at least from a strategic stand point, no major cities, no large airports, very few ways in to the town, plenty of land, and a good distance from the sea shore.

Maybe I'm just being paranoid...

12. SA John

SA John Banned

packgungirl: You should take all your junk with you on the flight to Tahiti. That ocean crossing will be the most dangerous thing you'll ever do in your lifetime if you don't include driving the Overseas Highway late on a Saturday night back to Miami.

Sit near an exit. And remember, the good water landing pilot is still doing the talk show rounds. Be ready to swim. Aloha

John

13. packingungal

packingungal

Well, there I am, something more to worry about....[laugh]

14. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

It's more than just that. There has been underlying reasons why a good many people in this country have been pissed off for quite some time. It goes even as far back as when I was a kid - I used to hear my father and friends talk about stuff like getting taxed too much and so forth.

The problem is that we keep getting closer and closer to the point where the opportunity cost to say "screw it" and take the risk to implement major change - keeps going down.

I think of it this way (using illegal immigrants as an example). Most people get a little pissed off when they hear illegal immigrants are taking American jobs. But as long as they haven't stolen a job directly from you - most people in the end really don't care. The job's that were lost mostly effect lower income Americans that typically get ignored anyway. On "Law and Order" last night the story line involved killing an illegal immigrant - and the guy who plays the black detective (can't remember his name) talked about how people in South Central know that their jobs are getting taken by illegals. In the end though - the majority of the population can't get riled up enough to really go out and od something to make a change. Because the cost is too high.

Now take illegals on welfare and so forth. We have heard all the stories about them on welfare, getting food stamps, eating up free medical care, etc. But the reality is that we are already so heavily taxed in this country - and fiscal discipline has gone so far down the shitter - that most people just can't fathom how much all of this is really costing them. So - once again, the cost to protest and implement change is too high. People have too much to potentially lose.

BUT - now you come to something like a swine flu epidemic. Let's say that this whole thing really does turn into something - it becomes a full blown epidemic and 100's, thousands - or tens of thousands of people are dying or have died. And - like a previous respondent said: we get surge of refugees coming over the border, all of whom MAY be infected (people will want to assume that they are) . Take all of this - and throw in even just a few cases where an illegal alien was involved in infecting people - and there were deaths.

Gasoline soaked tinder - meet Mr. Match.

This makes it different - because now you are talking about DEATH. We are no longer talking money, or jobs, or other bullshit - we are talking about what will be in most people's minds the very realy potential to actually DIE.

This is entirely different than having to pay too much taxes - or having your job taken.

For many people this would be a "pickup the rifle" moment - because there is truly no longer much to lose when you do so. Especially if the government totally mishandles the situation and refuses to act when they could have.

War, disease, economic disaster - all historically proven to lead to major political changes.

The only real question is: what are we going to get?

15. doobie

doobie Banned

16. SA John

SA John Banned

Cal, the first guy "to pick up the rifle" will be shot dead in 6 seconds by his local SWAT team. He'll make the early news and we'll all shake our heads down at the local club at how this dimbulb managed to shed another bad light on our gun sport. The day of armed rebellion passed about 150 years ago with the last shots of the Civil War. You gotta find a new hobby. This bully pulpit effort of yours to enflame the masses is getting old and it makes you look bad and drifting toward the margin.

John

17. mikem317

mikem317

Perhaps. But revolution doesn't need to be violent and bloody.

18. calsdad

calsdad NES Member

To some people - like you apparently - this is a "gun sport". Sorry, but to many other people this has absolutely nothing to do with "sport". If you think that the days of armed rebellion are somehow long past you apparently haven't picked up a newspaper in the last 50 years or so. The "days of armed rebellion" have always been there and are with us still.

The masses were inflamed long before I ever got here.

19. sig shooter

sig shooter

It only takes a few men to get the ball rolling, if one man takes up arms against the oppressive government many will follow until we have a full blown Continental army again. Rebels have fought back successfully against much larger military forces that outnumbered them and came out on top. You have missed the true meaning about the RTKBA, It is about having the means to fight back against out government not "gun sport"

this old country story tells which force will win-

"One day a hound dog went hunting by himself in the woods. He spotted a rabbit in the underbrush and chased him out into the open. The rabbit darted this way and that. The dog followed. The rabbit ran, with the dog at his heels, around trees and through an open field.

When the dog began to tire of the chase, the rabbit, with one last burst of energy, dashed into the thicket and escaped to safety.

As the dog turned back for home, a goat herder who had seen the chase jeered at him, saying, "Some hunter you are! You let that rabbit get the best of you!"

"You forget," replied the tired dog, "about the rabbit's strife! I was only running for my supper. He was running for his life!"

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  20. Hiltonizer

Hiltonizer Banned

I'm not sure how people *cough*SA John*cough* think it's so asinine to have basic preparations in order.

I don't by any means have enough for TEOTWAWKI, but for $400-500, I have enough to keep my wife and I fed and watered for ~3 mos. Included in that, I got plenty of vitamins and first aid gear.

A crippling blizzard, or ice storm as many have experienced here, is more than enough to make most peoples life suck. I went to Sam's Club one day and dropped $300 on a good variety of food stuffs that will get us by for 3 months.

In addition to food, a reasonable cache of paper goods, a small propane fed griddle, and a case or 2 of those tiny Coleman tanks from walmart will make life a heck of a lot better if, for some reason basic supply disruptions make life hell.

Even a roll of celophane and aluminum cans are enough to supply dew water from the ground... it's asinine to not take the most basic preparations.

I live in a town house of about 1k sqft, and have a basement about 500sqft... 3 shelves in the basement and closet in my spare room give me peace of mind in the most likely of scenarios.

You never have to let food or bottled water expire, paper goods never go unused, and there us always use for basic tools.

All you have to do, is not be the jackass who is absolutely fubar after a few weeks of supply/utility disruption.

21. SA John

SA John Banned

Evan you can't be for real. I refuse to believe what you say. I refuse to believe YOU believe it. But as an experiment: Go start an armed rebellion tomorrow and get back to us with a progress report from the front. Your SMLE against whatever the cops have. Think of it as research. Enlist Cal. I'll follow the TV coverage and whatever radio reports you can get back to me before you're vaporized.

Keep your head down, you'll last about 20 seconds longer that way.

John

1 person likes this.
  22. sig shooter

sig shooter

Last edited: May 1, 2009
  23. cekim

cekim NES Member

The amazement will be ours when any critical mass of people open a history book[laugh]

24. cekim

cekim NES Member

You are right in more ways than you might like to think... [wink]