• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

who likes the BAR 30.06

I’m sure this has been hashed over before but I couldn’t find a thread on it so here it is.

I have a choice to make. I’m looking for a rifle to take out west hunting pronghorn and I’ve been looking at .308 bolt action rifles. I started with looking at .270 because I like how flat they shoot and they don’t put a giant hole in the animal but they were a little hard to find and ammo wasn’t cheap so I started looking to .308.

Right now I have a 1985 Browning BAR 30.06 that I can for low money. It’s a little more gun than I was looking for but it is pretty nice. My problem is I don’t have any real experience with a 30.06 and if I get this I use up my rifle buying power with the wife for the next few years. If it turns out not to be the right gun for me it’ll be a long time before I can replace it. Don’t get me wrong, my wife isn’t against my hobby in any way, just me spending a lot of money too often and I have to agree with her.

So the questions are who likes 30.06 over .308 and vice versa? Should I wait and stick with my original .270 plan?

Right now I have a 1985 Browning BAR 30.06 that I can for low money.

How can one get a BAR for low money?? Unless your low and my low are two different things. Also a BAR is full auto hence the name? Browning Automatic Rifle?

WOW!! Thank you. I never knew there were two different kinds. Learn something new everyday. I was hoping you had a source of low cost converted to semi Browning autos.

look for a used or buy new Savage field rifle with a synthtic stock and SS barrel. >308 is a great large game hunting caliber.

30.06 for antelope and deer out west is a good choice, accurate and a bit more range than .308.
My cousin has a BAR in one of the lighter calibers for white tail. It's a great gun. If you are getting a decent price you'll always recoup the investment if you find you don't like it.
Where are you heading? I did an elk hunt in Wyoming a few years back. Had a fantastic time.

I’m sure this has been hashed over before but I couldn’t find a thread on it so here it is.

I have a choice to make. I’m looking for a rifle to take out west hunting pronghorn and I’ve been looking at .308 bolt action rifles. I started with looking at .270 because I like how flat they shoot and they don’t put a giant hole in the animal but they were a little hard to find and ammo wasn’t cheap so I started looking to .308.

Right now I have a 1985 Browning BAR 30.06 that I can for low money. It’s a little more gun than I was looking for but it is pretty nice. My problem is I don’t have any real experience with a 30.06 and if I get this I use up my rifle buying power with the wife for the next few years. If it turns out not to be the right gun for me it’ll be a long time before I can replace it. Don’t get me wrong, my wife isn’t against my hobby in any way, just me spending a lot of money too often and I have to agree with her.

So the questions are who likes 30.06 over .308 and vice versa? Should I wait and stick with my original .270 plan?

BAR's are great rifles, very versitile and very accurate. With pronghorn your shots can be a bit on the long side. The 30-06 is an excellent all around hunting round. For smaller critters, like antelope, you can go with 130 grain bullets for flatter tragectory. Deer sized game 150-165 grain bullets are perfect and for elk, bear and moose 180-220 grain fit the bill perfectly.

Personally I would prefer the .300 win mag in that gun but you have found a good deal on a great gun and I would jump on it!

PS. Brownings do not lose value.

30.06 for antelope and deer out west is a good choice, accurate and a bit more range than .308.
My cousin has a BAR in one of the lighter calibers for white tail. It's a great gun. If you are getting a decent price you'll always recoup the investment if you find you don't like it.
Where are you heading? I did an elk hunt in Wyoming a few years back. Had a fantastic time.

I’ve been to WY once a couple years ago and I’ve been trying to get back since but I never get drawn. I had a great time though. The shots were mostly 250 yards and under. I was tempted to take one that was closer to 400 but I wasn’t sure about how the .270 would do at that range.

BAR's are great rifles, very versitile and very accurate. With pronghorn your shots can be a bit on the long side. The 30-06 is an excellent all around hunting round. For smaller critters, like antelope, you can go with 130 grain bullets for flatter tragectory. Deer sized game 150-165 grain bullets are perfect and for elk, bear and moose 180-220 grain fit the bill perfectly.

Personally I would prefer the .300 win mag in that gun but you have found a good deal on a great gun and I would jump on it!

You make a good point about resale. I think I’ll get the Browning and see how it works out.

I was tempted to take one that was closer to 400 but I wasn’t sure about how the .270 would do at that range. .
.270 Winchester will kill a well hit pronghorn or deer at 400 yards. The question is not how the bullet will do at that distance. The question is how the shooter will do at that distance.

I like the original BAR but I know which BAR you're talking about.I friend has 1 in .30/06 and 1 in .338 magnum. I like and shoot rifles in .308 and .30/06. I don't see much difference between them except that the heaviest .30/06 factory load is about 20 grains heavier than the heaviest .308 load. If you want to reload, i'd go with the .30/06 because it's alittle more versatile. If you won't be reloading, you can still get cheaper military surplus ammo for practice in the .308.

I have one in .30-06 and it is my favorite fudd gun. Recoil even with heavy loads is not too bad. My A-Bolt Medallion in the same cal. feels like somebody is hitting me with a sledgehammer. Then again, I am a pussy.[laugh]

If I could only own one rifle, it would be chambered for the 30.06. It is incredibly versatile, the round used in two of our most famous military rifles, available in a wide assortment of bullet weights/styles and is the basis of other incredible cartridges such as the .270. The .270 is nothing more than a necked down 30.06.

I have one in .30-06 and it is my favorite fudd gun. Recoil even with heavy loads is not too bad. My A-Bolt Medallion in the same cal. feels like somebody is hitting me with a sledgehammer. Then again, I am a pussy.[laugh]

I should let you shoot Bertha. My A-bolt II Medallion in .300 win mag. [smile]

Great Rifle. I've had one in 30-06, since the mid 80's. Shot many Whitetail, coyote and even a 1200 LB moose (with one shot!)

I've been debating on putting it up for sale. Don't get out to "Rifle Country" much, anymore[frown]

Watch for my ad in the Members Forum soon.

I had it glassbeaded and matte finished, factory finish was like a mirror. Fitted it with a Bell & Carlson Carbon Fiber stock. Includes an extra mag, Leupold rings and base, and a nice sling.

Here's a quick peek:

Last edited:

What he said! An '06 is perhaps the most versatile round, and can be used for virtually all North American big game.

Great Rifle. I've had one in 30-06, since the mid 80's. Shot many Whitetail, coyote and even a 1200 LB moose (with one shot!)

I've been debating on putting it up for sale. Don't get out to "Rifle Country" much, anymore[frown]

Watch for my ad in the Members Forum soon.

I had it glassbeaded and matte finished, factory finish was like a mirror. Fitted it with a Bell & Carlson Carbon Fiber stock. Includes an extra mag, Leupold rings and base, and a nice sling.

Here's a quick peek:

That's pretty much it, except for a wood stock, sights and a scope.

I’m curious to see what you’re asking for it. The woman I’m buying this from has no clue about guns at all and would take whatever I offer her for it, but she’s a friend and I don’t want to cheat her out of anything. I see them going at KTP for between $500 and $650, but other places have them listed for as much as $800. If I don’t buy it she’ll be selling it on commission and losing at least 20%, so I don’t feel too guilty getting it for a good price.

That's pretty much it, except for a wood stock, sights and a scope.

I’m curious to see what you’re asking for it. The woman I’m buying this from has no clue about guns at all and would take whatever I offer her for it, but she’s a friend and I don’t want to cheat her out of anything. I see them going at KTP for between $500 and $650, but other places have them listed for as much as $800. If I don’t buy it she’ll be selling it on commission and losing at least 20%, so I don’t feel too guilty getting it for a good price.

What grade, condition and is it a belgian?

I start every reloading class by asking:

" If you're going on a $15,000 hunting trip of a lifetime.... somewhere up in Canada... float plane in.... you spent 5 years getting ready for it...... are you going to buy that ammo at Walmart? Or, are you going to make it yourself, knowing that it shoots exactly the way you want?"

The answer of course is to make it yourself!

And, it's very inexpensive to make it yourself. Whether it's .270 or .308, or 30-06 you should always be thinking in terms of reloading the ammo. Not only will it be more accurate than the store bought stuff, and less expensive.... you'll have as much of it on hand to practice with, and shoot in the field as you want! I'm not intending on stealing your thread, but the opening premise of your scenario needed to be addressed. Make the necked rifle ammo yourself!

I started with looking at .270 because I like how flat they shoot and they don’t put a giant hole in the animal but they were a little hard to find and ammo wasn’t cheap so I started looking to .308.

I start every reloading class by asking:

" If you're going on a $15,000 hunting trip of a lifetime.... somewhere up in Canada... float plane in.... you spent 5 years getting ready for it...... are you going to buy that ammo at Walmart? Or, are you going to make it yourself, knowing that it shoots exactly the way you want?"

The answer of course is to make it yourself!

And, it's very inexpensive to make it yourself. Whether it's .270 or .308, or 30-06 you should always be thinking in terms of reloading the ammo. Not only will it be more accurate than the store bought stuff, and less expensive.... you'll have as much of it on hand to practice with, and shoot in the field as you want! I'm not intending on stealing your thread, but the opening premise of your scenario needed to be addressed. Make the necked rifle ammo yourself!

A good point and I agree with you. I'm just not in a position to make the investment in reloading gear yet. It's on my Christmas list though.

Back
Top Bottom