Who here is interested in NRL22 in Southern NH?

Is it at all reasonable to use a stock 10/22 with tech sights and 49 year old eyes? What size targets are we talking?

"Official" NRL22 stages are inside 100yards, But.... Some of the targets shot are pretty small. This video has a guy shooting a Savage with tech sights I believe. It can be done, but will be hard! The main point is, if you have a .22 you can show up and shoot and learn and have fun. If this actually gets off the ground like I hope, I will likely have a second rifle with me as well to lend out if need be

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sy3En1Rmzkc&t=11s

So on to scopes. How well would something like a fixed 10x mildot (SWFA) do? I learned a lot about scopes up at ridgeline this past summer, and number 1 being that starting basic is likely best because I will likely learn what I want and it wont be the $1k scope I buy, much like happened with my SPR.

I do have a 10x SWFA not doing much that I could rob for this.

What does it parallax down to? There could be targets as near as 25 yards...

Also, I am lightyears away from being any sort of authority on any of this... I am likely the worst shot here (I just read a lot!) . In short, I really want to shoot more and get a lot better an "precision" type shooting and .22 seems to be the most practical way for me to do that on a regular basis. Im not interested in "beating" anyone in competition (not that it would happen anyway) but I hope to shoot at events that welcome every regardless of equipment or skill so that everyone gets better

Last edited:
I have read the 10x SWFA SS adjusts down to 10 yards. I was planning on ordering one for shooting steel out to 300y since the scope has a huge elevation range

The new ones are, according to the website. I'd have to see if I can find the manual for the one in my safe, it's from like 10 years ago.

Is it at all reasonable to use a stock 10/22 with tech sights and 49 year old eyes? What size targets are we talking?

You will definitely struggle with that setup.

The 10/22 has endless custom options and can be very accurate. It’s pretty common in these types of matches. A factory rifle will probably not be accurate enough, but it’ll get you started.
You’ll want a scope with tactical turrets and a reticle designed for this type of shooting. There are lots of options from $300-$3000.

The target can be as small as 1/4”. We had a shooter bring an M&P155 with a fixed 10x scope and he really struggled past 50 yards and on the smaller targets. We switched him out to another rifle for the targets past 100yds.

Don’t let that discourage you. At our first match, we had 10 shooters and only 4 purpose built rifles. We shared rifles and had tons of fun.

Last edited:
Sorry if I missed it, but are there different groups for semiauto and bolt action 22s?

I’m not sure if the rifle types are separated by division. Come shoot anyway.

Most of the matches around here aren’t doing any kind of NRL sanctioning or score reporting. There just isn’t demand for it yet. We are simply pirating their prop list and course of fire, for now. There is some additional cost to the shooter to join NRL as well.

What you want in a scope for Rimfire is:

Variable magnification to at least 18x. 25x is even better.

First Focal Plane. This means the reticle and subtensions will scale with magnification. Second focal plane will cost less, but the reticle subtensions will only be correct at ONE magnification setting. It’s not a deal breaker if you already have SFP.

Adjustable parallax down to 25yds minimum. Less is even better.

Tactical turrets. You MUST be able to dial elevation corrections for each stage. Stages will most often include targets at several ranges and you need to adjust on the clock.

Reticle and Turrets MUST match. There are some older and obscure scope that do not have matching turrets and reticles. They have MOA turrets and MIL reticles. No bueno.

Tactical reticle. You MUST be able to hold elevation corrections using the reticle sub-tensions. Some stages will feature targets at multiple ranges and restrictions on adjusting scope turrets.

MOA (Minutes Of Angle) or MILs are a personal preference. They both work. Whichever you choose, be sure you will not be trying to convert MOA to MILs or vice versus. It’s not worth it.

Except minimum parallax, all of these scope characteristics also correlate to centerfire PRS. If you wanted to buy one scope for both, there are some great options. In most cases, you will get the quality you pay for. Especially in regards to turret repeatability.

Last edited:
I’m not sure if the rifle types are separated by division. Come shoot anyway.

Most of the matches around here aren’t doing any kind of NRL sanctioning or score reporting. There just isn’t demand for it yet. We are simply pirating their prop list and course of fire, for now. There is some additional cost to the shooter to join NRL as well.

There is only a fee to join NRL if you want to have your scores submitted tot NRL for national rankings... No need to have an NRL membership just to show up and shoot

What does it parallax down to? There could be targets as near as 25 yards...

Also, I am lightyears away from being any sort of authority on any of this... I am likely the worst shot here (I just read a lot!) . In short, I really want to shoot more and get a lot better an "precision" type shooting and .22 seems to be the most practical way for me to do that on a regular basis. Im not interested in "beating" anyone in competition (not that it would happen anyway) but I hope to shoot at events that welcome every regardless of equipment or skill so that everyone gets better
Just think as yourself as your only competitor. Challenging yourself to do better each time.
Learn and accept your equipment limits and wring the most out of it.
Wish I had more time. Love to toss the scope back on the 513T and give the new 22 games a run. I have a 10/22 also but I like shooting the 78 year old rig

What club are you planning to do this at?

I’m set up to run matches at Reading in Mass, but I know many will not travel into the people’s republic and I don’t blame them
Reading has NRL22 matches?

I have never heard of those (and I'm a member there).

Why is almost every video I see using a lever action and not a 10/22 semi? ... is only lever action allowed?

Reading has NRL22 matches?

I have never heard of those (and I'm a member there).

Why is almost every video I see using a lever action and not a 10/22 semi? ... is only lever action allowed?
Semi is allowed in Reading
I used mine at the match in Reading in June
I use the safety when moving positions like I was taught but I am not sure it is required.
fun match
I am thinking of getting a Tikka 1x now since I don’t own a bolt 22

I just bought a NRL22 gun specifically for these matches. I got a CZ457 Varmint. Gonna put the scope on below and try the base class. I haven’t been this excited about a gun in a while.

Last edited:
Any accurate .22 repeater with a capable scope can be used. I built a Tikka T1 for this, and anyone is welcome to use it. Just pay for the ammo.

The last match was posted on the club Facebook page and MMPRL page. This next match, I’ll be getting an email blast to the membership also, and have it put on the club calendar.

I‘m happy to answer any other questions about the matches or Reading Rifle.

Back
Top Bottom