• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who has the PPK .380 in the south coast MA area??

Hey guys,

Anyone know of a dealer in the South Coast Area of MA, that has the Walther PPK .380 in stock new?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Anyone know of a dealer in the South Coast Area of MA, that has the Walther PPK .380 in stock new?

Thanks.
You mean PPK/S right ?? Fairground Traders in Brockton had a couple about a month ago. Good friend of mine bought one of them. Although it's a ride for you Four Seasons in Woburn has very good prices on these and would be worth a call.

You mean PPK/S right
<snip> Although it's a ride for you Four Seasons in Woburn has very good prices on these and would be worth a call.

They have both PPK and PPK/S models.
I personally don't care for the S&W made models with the extended tang on the back of the frame. I prefer the original small tang models.

The difference between the PPK and PPK/S is in the frame. The slide is the same on both. The PPK/S is made on a PP frame with full metal backstrap and holds 7 round mags. The PPK is shorter in height and uses a wrap-around grip on a smaller frame. The PPK mags hold only 6 rounds. PP and PPK/S mags can also be used, but are longer and don't fit flush with the bottom of the grip.

Try the Sig 232, you might think twice about that S&W PPK. I have an InterArms PPK like it a lot, but the Sig puts it to shame in .380.

Try the Sig 232, you might think twice about that S&W PPK. I have an InterArms PPK like it a lot, but the Sig puts it to shame in .380.

Yes, I like SIG and that is always my first place to look but its a lot wider than the PPK, and the PPK is supposed to be THE .380 reference gun.

What makes the SIG so much better in this case?

Last edited:
I was at ZHA this afternoon and he had one French made (IIRC, under license from Walther-Germany) PPK/s for sale (used of course) and one S&W/Walther SS PPK/s marked "recall done" in the case (unsure if new/used).

I like the P232 but it is an order of magnitude greater in size than a PPK.

-Mike

The Sig has the magazine release at the heel, instead of behind the trigger guard. Some don't like that.

I have an Interarms stainless PPK/s that I've been carrying for years. It seems that when it comes to the Walther PP series, you either love it or hate it. I've heard some people having many feeding/ ejecting problems with them. Mine has ran beautifully for the most part, (a few kinks had to be worked out) and I definitely trust it as the smallest carry gun I'll use.

The PPK's were bought out or made by different manufactures? I did not know that. Recall's & Different manufactures; this is getting complicated now.

The real Walthers were made in Germany. The two popular models were the PP and PPK. After GCA68, the PPK didn't meet minimum size criteria and was deemed too small for further importation into the US. To get around this law, they created the PPK/s, which is basically a PPK slide mounted on the slightly taller PP frame. A few years later, Walther licensed Interarms to build the PPK in the USA. These US made guns didn't have to conform to the minimum size rule because that only applied to imported guns. Interarms made these (and PPK/s models) in both blued and stainless, with the stainless being the more popular version. When Interarms closed, Walther licensd S&W to build them. S&W made a few changes to the original design, with the extended tang being the most obvious. Only the S&W made guns were subject to the current recall.
As 45 Collector states, many had feeding problems and you either loved them or hated them. It has been my own experience that the feeding problem occurs more often with the PPK/s that the PPK. I carried an Interarms stainless PPK for over a decade and never had a problem with it. My dad bought a PPK/s and had nothing BUT trouble with it. He later dumped it for a PPK like mine.
Walther also licensed Manhurin in France to build the PPK for the local market. You don't see them often, but they are out there. Some East Bloc countries built similar looking guns (like Makarov), but don't confuse these with the real thing.

The real Walthers were made in Germany. The two popular models were the PP and PPK. After GCA68, the PPK didn't meet minimum size criteria and was deemed too small for further importation into the US. To get around this law, they created the PPK/s, which is basically a PPK slide mounted on the slightly taller PP frame. A few years later, Walther licensed Interarms to build the PPK in the USA. These US made guns didn't have to conform to the minimum size rule because that only applied to imported guns. Interarms made these (and PPK/s models) in both blued and stainless, with the stainless being the more popular version. When Interarms closed, Walther licensd S&W to build them. S&W made a few changes to the original design, with the extended tang being the most obvious. Only the S&W made guns were subject to the current recall.
As 45 Collector states, many had feeding problems and you either loved them or hated them. It has been my own experience that the feeding problem occurs more often with the PPK/s that the PPK. I carried an Interarms stainless PPK for over a decade and never had a problem with it. My dad bought a PPK/s and had nothing BUT trouble with it. He later dumped it for a PPK like mine.
Walther also licensed Manhurin in France to build the PPK for the local market. You don't see them often, but they are out there. Some East Bloc countries built similar looking guns (like Makarov), but don't confuse these with the real thing.

+Spot on!

I have two of them. One is a Interarms and the other was made by Manurhin. The one which is suppose to be made by Interarms was actually made by Manurhin.

Interarms didn't actually start making PPK/S in the U.S.A untill some where around 1987 and the one's before that were actually imported from France with Interarms name on it.

In 1952, Walther licensed production of the PP series pistols to a French company, Manufacture de Machines du Haut-Rhin, also known as Manurhin. The French company continued to manufacture the PP series until 1986. In fact, all postwar European-made PP series pistols manufactured until 1986 were manufactured by Manurhin, even though the pistol slide may bear the markings of the Walther factory in Ulm.

The PPK/S made by Manurhin are in my experince some of the best ever made.

I have a PPK/s (.380) made in 1971 that I carried for lots of years. I've fired lots of different ammo, including hand-loads (RNL and JHP) in it and it always fed/went bang. Never a problem. It's marked as made in Germany.

I also own a Manurhin marked PPK (IIRC) C&R in .32. The one time I brought it to the range, it ran just fine.

Having heard all the complaints about the PPK/s, I can only conclude that "something got lost in translation" wrt US mfd versions of this gun.

They are nice but very pricy for what you get imo. Plus as stated its either finicky or not. I had one but I sold it many ys ago because it just sat in its display case as 'a Bond gun", big deal it wore off fast. Just sayin..........

Have you looked at a Bursa .380? It's very nice, much cheaper and has the same look and feel as a Walther PPK/s.
It's also much larger than the PPK.

I had a PPK; wanted a little more punch in a pocket pistol, and sold it and bought a Kahr. Got to missing it and just bought another PPK. It's a shame that .380 is so tough to find; it'd get more range time if I had more ammo for it.

As for reliability... the ONLY thing that that Interarms didn't like was the aluminum-cased Blazer FMJ. It'd feed EVERYTHING else reliably (Silvertips, FMJ, RNL reloads) but choke every time on those aluminum casings. I'd trust the PPK with my life, no problem.

It's also much larger than the PPK.

The Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry is one of the smallest "pocket pistols" I know of (other than a Seacamp). I highly doubt that it is "much larger" than a PPK. But it is your money and you are free to do with it as you see fit. I was only suggesting the firearm as an alternative to a higher priced Walther. I have no problems with a Walther PPK/s. I have one and love it! But if I had to replace it I would get a Bersa. So I suggested it to you for your consideration.

The Bersa Thunder .380 concealed carry is one of the smallest "pocket pistols" I know of (other than a Seacamp). I highly doubt that it is "much larger" than a PPK
Really? 6.1" long vs 6.6; 1" thick vs over 1.25".

the Bersa is nowhere NEAR the "smallest pocket pistol" out there. Here's a handy chart. http://mouseguns.com/CompactCompare.pdf

The Bersa .380 Concealed Carry is 6.0 inches long and 1.05 inches wide. One of the smallest out there for a 9mm Kurz. Those spec's are from your link. Clearly we weren't talking about the same pistol. No harm, No foul.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom