Who has the BEST MUFFINS north of (or nearby) Boston?

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Java Brewing in Billerica. Noting is better. The line is out the door every day to get them.
I agree, but I think they went Out of Business. The place is closed and the windows are papered up. I don't think it is a renovation because they would have put up a Notice. Right?

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I agree, but I think they went Out of Business. The place is closed and the windows are papered up. I don't think it is a renovation because they would have put up a Notice. Right?
Oh?? I had no idea... We were there in the past year or so. That is too bad.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Oh?? I had no idea... We were there in the past year or so. That is too bad.
It was my morning place for about 8 years for coffee and muffin. Stopped in on my way to work at Harley in Billerica.
Usually Blueberry, sometimes coffee cake, sometimes cinnamon-apple. Great coffee. Cranberry walnut was good too...

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It was my morning place for about 8 years for coffee and muffin. Stopped in on my way to work at Harley in Billerica.
Usually Blueberry, sometimes coffee cake, sometimes cinnamon-apple. Great coffee. Cranberry walnut was good too...
This article says they reopened at another location as Feel Good Cafe. I hope they still have the muffins and the coffee (also best coffee anywhere).

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I think they combined venues in a food-based article. At least that's the way I read it.

The Feel Good Cafe' is opening at 99 Chelmsford Road and Java's is Re-opening at its Boston Road location.

Article date was August 9th 2019 and when I peaked in through the paper it was dormant and unfinished 2 days ago...

Java’s Brewin’ returns
After closing for a year, Java’s Brewin’ is set to return to its Boston Road location.
Elias Patoucheas, the property manager, confirmed that the coffee shop will be re-opening in the space this fall.
The longtime coffee shop closed about a year ago to remodel the store, Patoucheas said. Java’s Brewin’ has operated out of the 95 Boston Road spot for about 15 years.
The owner of Java’s Brewin’ could not be reached for comment.

Located at 99 Chelmsford Road, Feel Good Cafe is serving up healthy options in the way of smoothies, sandwiches, flatbreads and salads. The idea behind Feel Good Cafe is captured in its name. Owner Jabed Nguyen wanted to give residents a healthy take-out option as an alternate to standard go-to’s like Chinese food, pizza and chicken wings.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I think they combined venues in a food-based article. At least that's the way I read it.

The Feel Good Cafe' is opening at 99 Chelmsford Road and Java's is Re-opening at its Boston Road location.

Article date was August 9th 2019 and when I peaked in through the paper it was dormant and unfinished 2 days ago...

Java’s Brewin’ returns
After closing for a year, Java’s Brewin’ is set to return to its Boston Road location.
Elias Patoucheas, the property manager, confirmed that the coffee shop will be re-opening in the space this fall.
The longtime coffee shop closed about a year ago to remodel the store, Patoucheas said. Java’s Brewin’ has operated out of the 95 Boston Road spot for about 15 years.
The owner of Java’s Brewin’ could not be reached for comment.

Located at 99 Chelmsford Road, Feel Good Cafe is serving up healthy options in the way of smoothies, sandwiches, flatbreads and salads. The idea behind Feel Good Cafe is captured in its name. Owner Jabed Nguyen wanted to give residents a healthy take-out option as an alternate to standard go-to’s like Chinese food, pizza and chicken wings.

Oh! That was weird.

appraiser

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Another vote for Gingerbread at the head of Lake Quannapowitt, ( bow head look across street, pay homage to the late Lanai Island )

My Ex went to Jordan's in Avon.... on my next trip north in January there is one of their muffins in her freezer waiting for me....

Donuts? Different story... Klemm's Bakery in Windham NH....

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It's been so long since I had a good blueberry muffin I can't remember what they taste like.

I sort of stopped eating them when people said fat was bad for you. I should get back on the horse.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
It's been so long since I had a good blueberry muffin I can't remember what they taste like.
I sort of stopped eating them when people said fat was bad for you. I should get back on the horse.
Meh. I had a semi-whacko relative (my cousin's wife Deb) who preached and preached about the evils of fat... she ate friggin sprout salads with fresh ginger, watercress, organic lettuce, pure organic olive oil dressing etc blah blah blah.. Everything Deb ate she preached about, told us all we were crazy for simply indulging in fatty foods or a beer even once in a while.

A few years ago she went jogging in the morning, returned home, showered then told her husband she "wasn't feeling well" and went upstairs to lie down in bed for a nap. She "never came down for breakfast".. (nor lunch or dinner).
Before she died, several of us, especially my wife's Sicilian family who love to eat eat EAT (like most of us sane humans like to) noticed that "Deb looks terrible for someone who's supposed to be so healthy"....I thought the same thing. She croaked at 51 years old and pretty much looked like a crack-smoking Karen Carpenter towards the end. But you simply couldn't tell her anything cuz she had a Masters Degree from Tufts and "knew everything about everything".

At the breakfast/brunch after the burial at the cemetery, the entire family including the old men and ladies (aunts uncles etc) sat around reminiscing, sharing thoughts of "what a shame" and "oh my goodness what a tragedy"... as they chowed down on pancakes, eggs, bagels, danish, MUFFINS, etc etc...
Rest in peace and NO disrespect intended, but... I (honestly) always think to myself that part of the reason Deb croaked so young was cuz she stressed out so damned much over "Trans-fats, cholesterol, sodium levels in soups, etc etc etc". I always found her to be so friggin strung out worrying so damned much about how people should use skim milk or "healthy lightener powder" (ugh! yuck!) from Whole Foods or Trader Joe etc in their coffee instead of 100% real cream (yum!).

Me? I'm 57 and strong and healthy as an ox and I eat like a mule. If eating too much is what kills me, so be it. At least I'll go out happy (and after you bury me you can all belly up to the bar and order beers and burgers for all. Order some muffins for dessert too!!)

And tell the bartender to put it on my tab, of course 😊

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
1. Make your own. Totally. Sorry for those who don't want to hear it. You can't beat home-made muffins.

2. Not north shore, but Montilios in Brockton has the official Jordan Marsh blueberry muffin recipe. Like from the JM baker. So you don't have to make them.

3. For blueberry, I use a modified Alton Brown recipe over JM. But I do recall going in for muffins with my grandmother as a kid. I think I use Sour Cream instead of yogurt in the mix.

5. That Yankee Mag article - what pitiful muffins they made. Here is John and his muffins at JM: A farewell to the muffin man - The Boston Globe

6. There was no #4.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This was ages ago we had a coffee stand run by one of the guys and he got his muffins from Costco,I not a big muffin fan but the corn muffins were quite good and the biggest I've ever seen.

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Remember when Dunks started making muffins? Remember they were good? Damn. I miss the old Dunkin days. :( OTOH, a muffin in 2019 just isn't worth the caloric load anymore. Except the occasional batch of blueberry during blueberry season.

kope

NES Member
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Drove by a place this morning that has a sign out front , " best home made muffins" in lovely Brockton. Doe-e-duck or something.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Drove by a place this morning that has a sign out front , " best home made muffins" in lovely Brockton. Doe-e-duck or something.
But.. It's Brockton.
A sign in a Brockton window that says "Best home made muffins!" is probably "street code" or "Hoodspeak" for "Freshly Baked Cranberry-Fentanyl-Walnut Muffins!"

Just sayin'

Last edited:

Paul455

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Muffin House on Rt.109 in Medway has really good muffins.

I think there is one in Mendon as well.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Flour has a number of locations around Boston/Cambridge and their blueberry muffins are one of the best. Working in the city I have made the rounds and haven’t found one better.
OP here.. I've tried a few of the places suggested, and since this place ("Flour" on Farnsworth Street in Fort Point /South Station area) is just two blocks from my work I stopped in this morning and had one (then another!) of their Blueberry muffins, fresh just out of the oven and... I'm not 100% sure but I think I ejaculated as I was finishing up the second one.

Just sayin' 😊
(and thanks for the recommendation)

Spanz

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I really do not know who has the best muffins.
But i DO know some ladies with awesome buns....

SpencerT

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I make muffins 2-3 times a week at home. As others have said it’s to easy not to make them at home, nothing better then literally pulling a muffin from the oven and eating it with fresh black coffee..

It also allows me to control ALL the ingredients... we aren’t super strict but we don’t do any processed or preservative based foods, mostly fruit and veggies with dairy and meat accounting for maybe 10% of our diets. Both of my kids had digestive problems and changing our diet and severely limiting sugar cleared it up for both of them..

Top Bottom