Who has the BEST MUFFINS north of (or nearby) Boston?

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Live Lynnfield/Peabody /Lynn/Saugus area, but also willing to travel somewhat if local.. With holidays here and winter breakfasts, nothing better than coffee and a great muffin..
And to nip the jokes in the bud, guys, I'm talking about BLUEBERRY (and others, but blueberry in particular) muffins here...NOT muffins from the Golden Banana or Squire Club or (etc etc,although I'm sure they're very good also [smile])..

I'm talking fresh baked, real, home-made muffins, right out of the oven like grandma or mom would bake, not baked in a factory like Dunkin Donuts or Au Bon Pain or whatever, I'm talking FRESH BAKED AWESOME MUFFINS (again blueberry is a fave but family loves others too).
North of the city if possible, cuz I have friends around the South Shore who tell me about great places but it's a hell of a drive from Lynnfield and if they get em and bring em to work etc by the time the family and I can sit and enjoy breakfast it would be 18 hours later or whatever.. and there goes the "fresh baked" feature, y'know?

Used to be a place in the North End of Boston that had Jordan Marsh recipe but I forget where, and they're probably gone now also like the way Jordan Marsh vanished.. [frown]

Any suggestions??

Jordan-Marsh-Blueberry-Muffin-Recipeigf.jpg

MisterHappy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
On the 16 yard line, shootin' for the Lewis!
There's this place

That's not too far from you area of interest.

Personally I was not hugely impressed, but it has a following.

My blueberry muffin reference is Stop and Shop. I find that they have the best balance of qualities, for splitting and frying.

If you want AM confections in that area, go to Kane's donuts.

omega42

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And to nip the jokes in the bud, guys, I'm talking about BLUEBERRY (and others, but blueberry in particular) muffins here...NOT muffins from the Golden Banana or Squire Club or (etc etc,although I'm sure they're very good also [smile])..
You know us so well ... first thing I thought of ... :cool:

I'm talking fresh baked, real, home-made muffins, right out of the oven like grandma or mom would bake, not baked in a factory like Dunkin Donuts or Au Bon Pain or whatever, I'm talking FRESH BAKED AWESOME MUFFINS (again blueberry is a fave but family loves others too).
I remember when Dunkin Donuts was baked fresh, in store, every four hours.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Clear Flour in Brookline has the best baked goods I've ever had, anywhere.

But muffins are super easy. Why not just make your own? The King Arthur Flour recipe is my go-to.

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Clear Flour in Brookline has the best baked goods I've ever had, anywhere.

But muffins are super easy. Why not just make your own? The King Arthur Flour recipe is my go-to.
Muffins are extremely easy, particularly blueberry. The simplest way is to buy the premix and just add real blueberries or go with the little canned ones that come with the mix. You can also take the time to make your own without a mix.

Everything I make myself, I enjoy more than 99% of what's available to buy. And OP's got three full days between now and Christmas.

Besides, do bakeries add in rum to their muffins?

Maddawg1952

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins..for the win.…………………… OK SO I'm 35 years too late SUE ME! Hey WAIT a minute isn't Jordans Furniture still making them in one of their stores?

atmay

NES Member
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
And to nip the jokes in the bud, guys, I'm talking about BLUEBERRY (and others, but blueberry in particular) muffins here...NOT muffins from the Golden Banana or Squire Club or (etc etc,although I'm sure they're very good
I literally only came here to make this exact joke.

bottle-cap

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Real blueberries or the fake ones made from purple wax flavored with artificial flavorings? (The ones many commercial bakeries commonly use. - seriously, ask to see the ingredient list.)

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Jordan Marsh Blueberry Muffins..for the win.…………………… OK SO I'm 35 years too late SUE ME! Hey WAIT a minute isn't Jordans Furniture still making them in one of their stores?
Friend in work tells me they make THE Jordan Marsh muffins (similar, same recipe I guess) at Jordan's Furniture in Avon... BUT.. we live Lynnfield and.. As mentioned I'd ask him to bring some but by the time we would get to sit down with them for family breakfast it would be almost 24 hours later, and everyone knows that muffins are BEST when they're right out of the oven, not re-heated etc. Yup.

enbloc

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
41   0   0
Muffins are extremely easy, particularly blueberry. The simplest way is to buy the premix and just add real blueberries or go with the little canned ones that come with the mix. You can also take the time to make your own without a mix.

Everything I make myself, I enjoy more than 99% of what's available to buy. And OP's got three full days between now and Christmas.

Besides, do bakeries add in rum to their muffins?
Want to kick a homemade blueberry muffin up a notch...? Add a couple chocolate chips...

C. Stockwell

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Real blueberries or the fake ones made from purple wax flavored with artificial flavorings? (The ones many commercial bakeries commonly use. - seriously, ask to see the ingredient list.)
So that's how those little bastards don't explode like the real ones [laugh]

Want to kick a homemade blueberry muffin up a notch...? Add a couple chocolate chips...
Somewhat related: I made blueberry + cranberry baked oatmeal squares earlier this week. Have to make more. They need more oats.

Varmint

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Gingerbread construction company on the lake in Wakefield. You can thank me later.
I think that's ok, bit on the heavy side. Kane's is also very heavy, not my thing. Spinelli's on Rt 1 is not bad and cheap.

My recommendation is Ziggy & Son's Donuts on Lowell St. in Peabody. They have the best donuts on North Shore and I believe they have muffins but can't remember. They make cakes too but haven't tried. The blueberry-filled donuts are have real blueberries in them (like blueberry pie filling), to give you a reference vs Dunkin Donuts.

The only donut place that I like better is Klemm's Bakery in Windham, NH - an NES recommendation from the donut thread. But Ziggy's is a close 2nd.

You might try Whole Food's bakery - we tried one of their cakes and it was really good, but haven't tried a muffin.

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Yup, but... Changes the whole "Blueberry Muffin" thing to something else (although I've had blueberry peach muffins from an old place in Boston (Will Yums, in South End, I forget where it was 30 years ago) and they were awesome (as was Will Yums. Used to stop there on way to visit my mom with my baby daughter and I'm pretty sure my Dad loved seeing the box of Will Yums muffins coming through the front door as he was to see his first granddaughter LOL)

GlockJock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
I think that's ok, bit on the heavy side. Kane's is also very heavy, not my thing.

My recommendation is Ziggy & Son's Donuts on Lowell St. in Peabody. They have the best donuts on North Shore and I believe they have muffins but can't remember. They make cakes too but haven't tried. The blueberry-filled donuts are have real blueberries in them (like blueberry pie filling), to give you a reference vs Dunkin Donuts.

The only donut place that I like better is Klemm's Bakery in Windham, NH - an NES recommendation from the donut thread. But Ziggy's is a close 2nd.
Thanks but don't wanna derail the muffin thread ;)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
My blueberry muffin reference is Stop and Shop. I find that they have the best balance of qualities, for splitting and frying.
I was getting ready to suggest this as well. You would be surprised how good S&S muffins are. I think a lot of people would assume the muffins are shipped frozen to the stores and don't realize the muffins are made on-site. I worked in a S&S bakery part-time in high school back in the 80's and it was my job to make the muffins. Blueberry and Cranberry muffins were the hardest to do because you have to mix the berry's into the batter by hand as a mixer would destroy the berry's.

Prepper

NES Member
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
Java Brewing in Billerica. Noting is better. The line is out the door every day to get them.

TJRaccoon

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have to throw my vote to Gingerbread construction company. I bought a Buick with Chocolate Raspberry muffins when my kid was 16.
Take the Route MA 129 Exit 40.

mwalsh9152

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm not sure how good his muffins are, but the Honey Dew almost next door to Gingerbread Construction Co has great donuts, his muffins might be worth a try?

Top Bottom