Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Why wouldn't I have power?

Votes: 17 10.8%
  • Generators are teh luv

Votes: 14 8.9%

• Total voters
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Power came back on at my house at about noon today! No one else I know who lost power has it back on yet. Newspaper said that 22,000 in Fitchburg had lost power, that's about half. Verizon DSL is working too, so I'm off the air-card.

Only really bad ordeal was attempting to get gas for the sump-pump generator last night. Took me 2.5hrs to get $15 (limit) worth of gas...
First thing I did when I got up Friday was to bail the basement a little. Then I went out to get gas and check inlaws' house, which got hit by a tree. I was surprised they had power at the gas station. I think I heard their tanks later ran out.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Berkshire and Hilltowns took a hit. We lost power between 1:30 and 3:30 am on Friday. Power restored this afternoon. Friday night "family campout" by the woodstove was fun. The local bar had a truck mounted generator on site, but we stayed in.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Still no juice at my place... glad I've got the gererator.

Had to syphon gas from the truck to the car to have enough fuel to get to somewhere with power to get fuel for the gen though (1hour drive)... brought back 25 gallons.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still no power here, it'll be days from the looks of it.

Gas lines were 1 hr+ yesterday, made it home with the light on and computer saying 5 miles till empty. Good thing both other cars are full.

National guard was in town clearing trees but they left last night. Not sure why, any roads north of the center are still barely passable.

Both fridges/freezers staying plenty cold due to many ice blocks from putting water outside. Still have 10 or so gallons of fresh water + what's left in the pressure tank.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No power, phone, Internet, or tv here since midnight thurs. Our generator kicked in automatically so we are warm and comfortable with power and food for the duration. Cannot say the same for our neighbors: maybe 10% have a portable generator.

Cellphone connection was bad at first but is now working ok so I can practice typing with this crappy iPhone keyboard.

Trees were down every 25 to 50 ft on the only road out of the development I live in. The trees are now cleared but there are branches and wires everywhere on the roads, it's a real obstacle course to get anywhere.

Latest news I heard on the power is a minimum of another 3 or 4 days.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Power came back on at 11:00 PM Saturday, I had internet/tv this morning. I had a generator going since Friday night and jury rigged things without a transfer switch (on the short list now) to run the sump, furnace/hot water, fridge, and an electric light. Biggest problem was finding gas. I ended up driving down to Marlboro Friday night to find some. I now have 20 gallons of gas in cans......

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Still no power at the homestead. I have to work, but the wife and kids are keeping warm with a buddy heater, and we're spending the nights all in one room. Last night a fellow NES member let me borrow his portable generator and spare buddy heater. The buddy heater made it to my grandparents in Fitchburg who are still without power but won't leave their house, and the generator will be keeping my stocked fridge, and deep freeze going, and if power isn't back tomorrow and I can figure out how ( not quite sure) my furnace.

KMS

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Once Im home...generator died yesterday circut board fried..Ill post some photos of the total carnage in my area..my house was spared with minor siding damage..Looks like a war zone here.

My area was one that was hit the hardest.(Milford NH area)

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Here are a couple of pics of my street in Weare NH:

These were taken on Saturday morning. Not much has been cleared since then so I don't expect power back until mid-week or so.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some friends in Sandisfield had their power come back on late this morning. The surge blew out their refrigerator and their freezer. Killed 'em dead. Then the power went out again. Their son, a friend of my son, is coming over to stay with us tonight so he can be ready for school. But there's a rumor that there'll be no school tomorrow ...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wish our roads looked that good.

National guard just finished our road. They finished what I couldn't. Offered to make them some coffee and gave them a big thank you.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Man, I can't find an update for my town at all. If nothing else, I'd like to find out some sort of progress report or ETA if possible.

Living in a small town sucks sometimes.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man, I can't find an update for my town at all. If nothing else, I'd like to find out some sort of progress report or ETA if possible.

Living in a small town sucks sometimes.
Western Mass Elecric (WMECO) has a web site that shows an outage map and restoration status for their service area. Are you sure your utility doesn't have online info?

MaverickNH

NES Member
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fortunately I'm 1/4 mile from the SoNH PSNH station in Bedford, NH. They got the power on to the Dunkin Donuts near them and we're on the same grid. [smile]

They're brining in gas tankers to keep the gas station supplied so the PSNH trucks can stay fueled, so it's a popular spot.

I guess I'm in the right place at the right time.

calsdad

NES Member
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Power is still out in my section of Chelmsford - I left the house 1/2 hour or so ago to go into work and try to get some stuff up and running. The trucks were at the end of the street (hopefully) working on getting the power back up. The cable TV and internet was out when I left too.

The power at my house has been out since about 10:30PM Thursday night.

We spent a few hours Friday night trying to see if by some stroke of luck we could find a generator in our area - but, as I expected - there was nothing.

So Saturday morning about 4AM we woke up because it was so cold in the house and took showers (we still had hot water) - then went into her work and started making a list of all the Honda dealers in MA, NH and CT. At 8AM we started calling - and probably 3/4 would not even pick up the phone. We figured that was because they also had no power, or were sick of answering the "do you have any generators" phone calls. We actually found one up in Brunswick Maine - and she said "what do you want to do" - my answer was: Road Trip.

We got back about 1pm Sat afternoon and I had the thing hooked up in a couple of hours (after hitting a few HD's trying to find extension cords and plugs - which were also all sold out)

So we have been on generator power since Sat afternoon. I had wanted to get one before and the GF always came up with an excuse as to why we didn't need one. When she woke up bitching about how it was cold in the house Sat morning - I figured I had my excuse to go get one.

The thing is small - but it will run the circulating pump on the boiler, the refrigerator - and a few lights and the TV.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/...tion=P2GG&modelname=EU2000i&modelid=EU2000IAN

At least now the next time the power goes out I won't have to worry about running around trying to find a generator.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
1850 runs all that? I am thinking one of those at a time, right?
Most of the time they weren't running together, but there were times when the fridge, pump and boiler would be going all at once. No problem for the generator. The only issues were the sump pump runs a little slower than on the mains but the pump rate isn't much different, and if you let the fridge stand unpowered before trying to start it for several hours, it struggles a little until it initializes, but is fine afterwards. I'd like a bigger generator, but 5 gallons in 24 hours for this one is bad enough.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Still no power in Lunenburg.

Picked up a 5700-watt generator yesterday, had to drive out to West Springfield to get it. Fortunately we didn't lose our land line, so we still have phone and DSL.

Wood stove for heat, swimming pool for water to refill the toilet tank, propane camp stove for cooking.

Generators are teh love. Currently running TV, DVR, stove blower, floor lamp, and 3 computers. Probably going to be a few more days with no power, but so long as I can get gasoline, we're all set for as long as it takes.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Still no power in Westford. I sent the wife, kid, and dogs to NY yesterday. The cat and I are hanging tought. I came to work this morning and checked my e-mail for the first time since Thursday night. It was 40 in the house this morning!

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Just spoke with PSNH. There are about 1200 homes on my circuit that still don't have power and it will probably be another few days before it's restored.

I am so sick of this shit.

doobie

Banned
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Just spoke with PSNH. There are about 1200 homes on my circuit that still don't have power and it will probably be another few days before it's restored.

I am so sick of this shit.
I'm still without power (as of this monring). I saw a number of trucks heading up 114 toward goffstown. Goffstown had power, so hopefully they were heading up to Weare/Dunbarton and we'll have power soon. I haven't felt like calling to inquire, because it really won't help power come back on sooner. Good luck. If you need something, PM me and I can see what I can do to help out.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I'm still without power (as of this monring). I saw a number of trucks heading up 114 toward goffstown. Goffstown had power, so hopefully they were heading up to Weare/Dunbarton and we'll have power soon. I haven't felt like calling to inquire, because it really won't help power come back on sooner. Good luck. If you need something, PM me and I can see what I can do to help out.
Thanks, Doob.

I'm staying with my brother in Litchfield. He got power back today.

This whole mess made me realize just how woefully unprepared I am for stuff like this. But with the recent house purchase I really haven't had the time and money to do some of the stuff I wanted to get done. In particular, I got a quote on a 17kW whole-house Generac but didn't have the $5400 to get it installed this month. I'm doing it right after the holidays as I never want to go through this again.

Top Bottom