• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who has done the Glock Armourer Course? Worth it?

scatter

NES Member
Thinking of signing up for said course when we head down to Richmond next month for the NRA Carry Guard Expo. I know Glocks very well already but there are very few gunsmiths around here and I thought I might be able to make a few bucks on the side if I have the cert.

Seems like it's $250 at the Expo and anywhere else you take it, so I wouldn't be getting a deal or getting robbed, but I will be there anyway and looking for things to do.

Thoughts from anyone with experience?

I took the course and enjoyed it. Well, to be honest I enjoy anything gun related.
I've carried a G23 since 1998 and wanted to know more than "Bullets go here, finger goes there" level of knowledge.

Just Do It!

~Matt

What kind of things do they discuss other than somebody who knows how to tear one apart rework it etc?

Full tear-down, part inspection and replacement, recalls and factory-approved improvements. Nothing to far out there.
Like I said, I like anything related to firearms and enjoyed the class.

Does taking the class give you super duper pricing on parts direct from Glock ? Not that any of the parts cost all that much but you could possibly recoup your course fee...eventually.

i saw a video somewhere on the course. the students bought a pistol as part of their tuition and that was the gun they worked on in class. regardless, i wouldn't mind taking it sometime.

Does taking the class give you super duper pricing on parts direct from Glock ? Not that any of the parts cost all that much but you could possibly recoup your course fee...eventually.

No. It gives you a free Glock takedown tool, a Glock booklet, a Glock Decal and if I remember correctly they gave ma a G19 Owners Manual for reference.
I went in 2005 and that is what I recall. Oh, the Glock Instructor has 2 big pelican type pistol cases with like a dozen G19's in them both for hands-on part of the curriculum.
I believe that has changed now.

If you’re big into Glocks, you can only benefit by going at least once. I took it in July for maximum familiarity with my carry gun since everything depends on my mastery of it. Learned some very subtle ways you can accidentally screw things up due to bad advice on YouTube or have aftermarket parts introduce problems. This year includes a lot of info on what’s changed in Gen5.

The instructor probably makes or breaks the experience. Ours was engaging and reinforced every learning point with a story: why this was developed, how someone neglected this maintenance and caused a ND and he was part of the corporate investigation, etc. I would take another class instructed by Marshall Schmitt in a heartbeat.

One civilian gunsmith sitting next to me said he had taken it 6 times as his cert expired and always learned something new. He also said Marshall was the best instructor he had learned from, that he learned more that day than from his first 3 rounds.

Back
Top Bottom