Who else lost power

Sauer Grapes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
brockton. been down over 5 hours, not looking good in brockton, easton , stoughton area. lot of downed trees. wood stove and honda 2200 heating & powering the shed. no backup for the house, but luckily warm enough outside we'll be fine to sleep in the house w/sleeping bags over the bed.

if it was bitter cold outside we'ed be on cots in the shed ( is "we'ed" a real contraction?)
We'd :)

Reactions: TLB

Racenet

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No internet, cable or home phone here 25 miles north of Portland, ME
We didn't have power, internet, cable or phone yesterday afternoon. Power was back up after 1.5 hrs or so, but the other took until later last night. Spectrum reported a cut fiber line. Internet is still acting a bit flaky.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Damn! I got home around 6 last night and the whole neighborhood was out. We lit some candles and oil lamps but the house was getting chilled. I pulled the generator out to get the furnace up and running just about that time, the power came on.

Now my damn hot tub is not working. 🥺 Should I have posted this in the "first world problems" thread?

Garys

NES Member
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Lost power about 1600. Generator kicked in and all was well until whatever back Comcast uses died. Switched TVs to OTA signal, used my phone for Internet. Since I had a cold, I went to bed early.

Woke up at 0700 this morning and power was back on and Comcast was back on line.

FiremanBob

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Lost power about 5 pm, out until 1:30 am. Gas stove made it easy to heat up the chicken stew I had made on Wednesday. Wood stove kept the house at or above 70F all night. A rare evening of reading real books by lamplight. Had to drive out to Keene this morning. The roads were very slick with black ice all the way out to Rt 9 in Stoddard.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Just lost power from this recent storm. Had to do some fancy cabling but got the internet back up by hooking up a power inverter to my Honda Accord. lol.

My wife is on emergency assignment and would have had to go into the office without PPE. Now she can stay home and work from here.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just lost power from this recent storm. Had to do some fancy cabling but got the internet back up by hooking up a power inverter to my Honda Accord. lol.

My wife is on emergency assignment and would have had to go into the office without PPE. Now she can stay home and work from here.
The peace of mind our Kohler gives us was worth every penny it cost us.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear that. I told my wife we will have a serious conversation about a back up generator when she is done with work for the day.
It wasn't cheap, 14KW, whole house, transfer panel, electrician, and around 10K. It is a big number. But we are in our sixtes and we don't want to be run out of our home. We don't worry about power failures anymore.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
At the very least, pick up a small 2000 watt inverter generator. That way you can run an extension cord and swap out things to plug in.
That's a great idea too. I should pick up a small generator for the interim and that can be a back up to the back up when I get a whole house unit. And it is small enough to drag with me in the pick up so I can have power anywhere I go...

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
It wasn't cheap, 14KW, whole house, transfer panel, electrician, and around 10K. It is a big number. But we are in our sixtes and we don't want to be run out of our home. We don't worry about power failures anymore.
I went on a few sites before and I think that is the size they recceomen for my house. I did exaggerate a few things because I want to be able to put on every light and every TV and computer with all the appliances and the AC running in the summertime.

and not that 10k is a drop in the bucket but I do think it is a worth while expense.

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went on a few sites before and I think that is the size they recceomen for my house. I did exaggerate a few things because I want to be able to put on every light and every TV and computer with all the appliances and the AC running in the summertime.

and not that 10k is a drop in the bucket but I do think it is a worth while expense.
I did not start out at 10K, didn't want to go there. But a portable was out, didn't want to deal with filling the tank to run 4 circuits. Was going with a 7KW that would have run perhaps 1/2 the house. But the cost was about 6500 or so. Same transfer panel, same electrical cost so at that point I said screw it, give me the 14K unit.

I have natural gas so that was easy. If you have propane do this, put the generator out with the propane tank. Then trench the electrical into the house. Put a small fence, or bushes, around the generator and propane tank, you will never know its there.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I did not start out at 10K, didn't want to go there. But a portable was out, didn't want to deal with filling the tank to run 4 circuits. Was going with a 7KW that would have run perhaps 1/2 the house. But the cost was about 6500 or so. Same transfer panel, same electrical cost so at that point I said screw it, give me the 14K unit.

I have natural gas so that was easy. If you have propane do this, put the generator out with the propane tank. Then trench the electrical into the house. Put a small fence, or bushes, around the generator and propane tank, you will never know its there.
Yeah, sounds good. We have natural gas in the house too. I would prefer to have it hooked to the natural gas source. Never have to worry about filling the tank. If it comes to that then I think we have bigger problems....lol

HARRYM

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, sounds good. We have natural gas in the house too. I would prefer to have it hooked to the natural gas source. Never have to worry about filling the tank. If it comes to that then I think we have bigger problems....lol
Nice, heavy storm, power goes out, you sit back with a smile, less than 10 seconds the house powers back up while the neighborhood is in darkness. No better comfort. Good luck with it.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Nice, heavy storm, power goes out, you sit back with a smile, less than 10 seconds the house powers back up while the neighborhood is in darkness. No better comfort. Good luck with it.

yup. that sure sounds sweet right about now...lol. Only something I can dream about until the next time...lol

Top Bottom