1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Who else broke out the grill today?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by blindfire, Apr 23, 2017.

1. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

My grills are conveniently located right near the hot tub, so they are always clear for year round cooking.

2. FPrice

FPrice Retired Zoomie NES Life Member NES Member

3. fencer

fencer NES Member

I was actually saying to my wife that we eat too much steak. I know, I know... there is something wrong with me...
    Even in the dead of winter, at least once a week, rib eye, sirloin or porterhouse, sometimes twice a week. She does it because it is an incredibly easy meal to make. Throw a baked potato in the oven an hour or so in advance, three minutes each side on a preheated grill and viola, You have yourself a fine meal.
    I guess the only difference is that sometimes in the summer we have potato salad and baked beans and in the winter we almost always have a baked potato and veggie. Fresh steamed broccoli is my go to.
    But Dr. Smith says I eat too much red meat. He is jealous as hell.

4. zboys

zboys NES Member

BBQ.Uncle
    Thank you, I could not get the pictures of your dinner out of my head, so I sent my wife out for scallops today and replicated your dish to the best of my ability. Did I say Thank you 20190610_181931.jpg

ldi, SERE, NHCraigT and 1 other person like this.
  5. BBQ.Uncle

BBQ.Uncle NES Life Member NES Member

7C980F51-D927-4345-9824-BD1B356E1091.gif

zboys likes this.
  6. Engineer

Engineer

You need to branch out: salmon(skin on) fantastic on the grill (try brushing with a little olive oil with garlic salt in it), ham steak, pork chops, pork tenderloin.
    Lots of options

7. hminsky

hminsky NES Life Member NES Member

Lamb chops, grilled on the back porch! First time i've fired up the grill this year!

8. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I've recently discovered chuck steaks for grilling. They're dirt cheap at ~$3/lb at MB. Usually 1/2 inch thick, with dispersed fat and bone. People usually use it for grinding into hamburger, but it's the most cost-efficient way for me to eat steak regularly. I just rub olive oil on both sides, evenly season with montreal seasoning, and throw it onto super high heat for 3 mins each side before letting it rest. Works every time.

9. tuna

tuna NES Member

I quit last year. The only tho g I can make decently is burgers and dogs.
    Steak, chicken or pork end up the same: burnt outside and bloody inside. I’m done, giving away my big grill / smoker and just sticking with the oven.
    Pan sear in the cast iron, then bake slow for a half hour for pork and steak, hour for chicken. Comes out perfect.

Yah I know, you’re gonna say it’s over cooked; don’t eat it. I won’t eat yours, you leave mine alone. I did the rare steak thing for a while, but I like the flavor of it cooked all the way.

10. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

We don’t do pulse laden meat in this house either. Ned-well is the norm.

11. Coyote33

Coyote33

I got some new "flavorizor bars" yesterday. Darn things cost $45!!!!!!!!!!! I put them down, then started looking at new grills. Then I saw the prices, and bought the bars. I'll tell you what. Those bars probably cost $5, $6 tops to make. If I buy new grates, and a new starter thing, this grill will be in pretty good shape again. Then again, it will be close to $100 into it, so it better be! This is a Weber Spirit (210? 310? something like that), maybe 9 years old. I also have a 5+ year old black and red charcoal grill from Walmart. I like that for weekends, when I have more time. Something about the flavor of charcoal. By the way, 2 bags 20# each for no-name ("Thrill-Grill"?) charcoal at Home Depot for $10.60 after taxes.

12. SpencerT

SpencerT NES Member

I grill 2+ times a week in the winter and probably 5+ times in the spring/summer/fall, just too hot to cook indoors.

Yesterday was ham steaks for the kids, steak tips for the the wife and myself along with grilled corn on the cob summer squash and zucchini with a chopped salad and pasta salad. Grilled up some marinated chicken and sausages for lunches at the same time.

Only things I cook indoors is pasta and stir fries.

Wife got me a Bakerstone pizza oven for my birthday this year to make grilled pizza easier, do that 1-2 times a week, thing works great and cooks a nice even pie in about 4 minutes.

https://www.amazon.com/BakerStone-A...ven+for+grill&qid=1560304196&s=gateway&sr=8-6

13. Coyote33

Coyote33

From that pizza oven link:
    • Create pizzeria quality pizzas in 2-4 minutes*
    • Set the burners to HIGH and preheat for around 20 minutes
    So, that translates into 22-24 minutes to cook a pizza in this oven, not 2-4.

14. zboys

zboys NES Member

NO

15. Coyote33

Coyote33

Uh, yeah.

16. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Simple Green grill cleaner works great. Wire wheel on a drill to clean the grate and good to go.

17. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Broke out my kamado and did baked potatoes (started in the microwave - no sense cooking them that long and taking up grill real-estate) and then 2 fat tri-tips with Santa Maria seasoning.

Gosh they were good. Took almost 30 min because they are more of a roast than a steak. Slice em in 1/2" slices against the grain and serve. Good stuff.

18. Coyote33

Coyote33

What exactly are "tri-tips"? I saw this at a store the other day, but am unsure what to do with them. Is this for marinated steak tips?

19. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

Started up the medium BGE and have another turkey breast section (whole) smokin... Was able to score a case of the breast sections the other week (8 at the start, down to 6 in the freezer). These are the 'fresh' ones since the 'frozen' have far too much sodium (can taste the difference). Since I cook one each weekend (for sammiches) I'm good for another 6 weeks. When I'm down to about 3, I'll get another case. Once I'm through the second one, the stores should be getting them in regularly.

Tomorrow I'll be firing the BGE up again to cook dinner. :)

BTW, I'm getting rid of the gasser if anyone is interested. Bought December 2015. ;)

20. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Well, I tried!

I installed the iGrill 3 on my new Weber, turned it on and it never reached 110F. It is hard-piped to a 120 gal propane tank with a gauge that is unreadable. Eastern Propane told me a few months ago that they would put in a ticket to have it fixed. My guess is that the level is so low that it can't sustain any pressure. It worked a few weeks ago.

So I broiled the chicken and sausages in our convection oven. Came out well, but I much would have preferred to BBQ.

21. zboys

zboys NES Member

Im guessing you have blockage from spiders/ants in the burner tubes area, propane tanks will keep full pressure till the gas is out

Sauer Grapes likes this.
  22. DitchDigger

DitchDigger NES Member

C500E7B3-BDA8-476B-96EE-866A503DD48A.jpeg Pit Barrel today

23. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

24. Greg

Greg

Sadly I don't own a grill.

Reason being I know I want to learn to smoke and I want a BGE or a Primo and for the last 10 years I can't bring myself to plunk down over $1k for a ceramic smoker/grill.

I can spend $400 for a Weber,but I know I'm still going to want to end up with a smoker,mostly for chicken.

Buy once cry once,but I can't bring myself to do it.

25. Blueman1914

Blueman1914 NES Member

The pit barrel is a rib cooking machine!

26. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

I will PAY you to make better Jamaican jerk chicken than this
    177672DF-FDC2-4BF5-B971-721CB3E9FF9B.jpeg

27. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

Tri-tip is a triangular cut of steak from somewhere on a cow. Very lean. Has the texture of a sirloin, but different flavor. VERY big down south. The traditional thing to do is to coat it in a rub and cook it.

While TT seems fairly thin when raw, it plumps up big time. The one I made 2 weeks ago took 30 min to cook. THIRTY MINUTES! (Some of that is getting it "done enough" for my wife. LOL).

Grills up very juicy and tasty with the rub. I did it on the charcoal smoker so it had some smokiness to it as well.

Better than the ribs I did yesterday. I really didn't pay attention so I didn't notice how thin they were. Left em for 3 hours. Came back to petrified ribs. :(. What a tragedy.

28. Coyote33

Coyote33

Just get one of these for $28, and enjoy the grilled goods for the summer:

Coleman Party Ball Portable Charcoal Grill in Gray-2000023832 - The Home Depot

[​IMG]

29. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Well it turns out to be operator error. Tank was full, but there is a snap-on type connector from the valve to the grill and it wasn't in all the way, so pressure was reduced. I snapped it in there, fired it up and it ran to 560F in short order. Oh well, lesson learned. Eastern Propane also removed the cover that prevented me from reading the tank level, so we are GTG now.

30. Blueman1914

Blueman1914 NES Member

Tri tip is the traditional cut for Santa Maria style bbq in California. Traditionally it's grilled over Red Oak wood.