who drives a newer volvo?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm car shopping again. I normally buy cars off lease, 2 years old and CPO. Volvo currently is offering CPO for 5 years and unlimited miles. Which for me is 200-250,000 miles

while they're not "sexy", not "performance", they seem to ride nice and I hear the seats are comfortable (My wife owned an S80 about 17 years ago and liked it). I've owned my current BMW for 49 months, and have put 160,000 miles on it. While it was CPO's the first 100k, it was always in the shop and the last 60k I've spent way more than the car is worth.

who here owns a volvo, 2017-2018? How do you like it? any feedback?

I'm thinking a v60

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No volvo here, but thats a good looking car in that pic.
And good seats are always a plus.
No idea on repair or reliability. Cant be worse than audi or vw.

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have a 2018 XC60 T5 R-Design. It’s pretty sporty, as a 4cyl turbo. Ride is nice. Haven’t fooled much with the different ride settings, but a buddy of mine likes switching them up in his XC90.

I’ve had a couple software glitches, but nothing serious (wipers go crazy for a second then reset)

Edit: I looked at the V60 as well, but the 2018 still has the small screen infotainment system. That didn’t get upgraded until the 2019 model, so keep that in mind. They’re worlds apart!

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Edit: I looked at the V60 as well, but the 2018 still has the small screen infotainment system. That didn't get upgraded until the 2019 model, so keep that in mind. They’re worlds apart!

Interesting ... the V90 has the large infotainment in '17 and '18 but the V60, not till '19. is it that much better to spring additional money for the 90 or wait to find a '19 V60 CPO on the market?

The cross country is a little to crossover to me, and I'm not an big SUV fan. I like a wagon or big hatchback (my 550GT is a big hatch, but has a shitty engine in a great car)

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
because the USA (with a few exceptions) makes dog shit for cars

I'll never give BMW another dime
audi only imports the A4 wagon, it's too small as is the VW
I'm not spending $65k on the E class mercedes wagon
or $90k on the porsche

so the US option is the Buick Regal
or japan offers the subaru

JayMcB

NES Member
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
watch the CPO fine print. the dealership maintenance is a cost you need to factor in.

I bought a CPO Mercedes last Fall and the maintenance has been staggeringly expensive

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
They do have performance you just need one of the ones with the blue square on it. Honestly if you're not buying a polestar you're wasting an opportunity. I drove my friends finacee's 2015 xc60 polestar and it was sub 5 0-60..... The brand scares me long term reliability wise (because pretty much everything European sucks) but they are really nice cars. It's just difficult to get feedback on long term ownership because most of the owners are soccer mom " i bought this cuz safety " broads or people who don't log 50-100 miles a day...

-Mike

Reptile

NES Member
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
I am pretty sure the CPO will only leave you with 3 years. The first 2 years are gone out of the total 5.

Please get back to us on that.

If you put on 80,000 miles a year and it's covered on the remaining warranty - I'd jump on it.

Run it into the ground and dump it.

Granted, you'll spend a lot of time in the shop.

Or, you can buy a Subaru with an extended warranty and call it a day.

If you want a laugh on who makes junk, sign up for Consumer Reports.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Interesting ... the V90 has the large infotainment in '17 and '18 but the V60, not till '19. is it that much better to spring additional money for the 90 or wait to find a '19 V60 CPO on the market?

The cross country is a little to crossover to me, and I'm not an big SUV fan. I like a wagon or big hatchback (my 550GT is a big hatch, but has a shitty engine in a great car)
The XC60 feels more like a wagon than a typical crossover, it rides lower than the typically ghey CRV, escrap, and all those douche-uvs out there. It's a lot more car like than you would think.

At one point wowo f***ed up the infotainment stuff and made it clunky, older might be better. Savagegeese covers this on a couple wowo videos...

Salyeica

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They do have performance you just need one of the ones with the blue square on it. Honestly if you're not buying a polestar you're wasting an opportunity. I drove my friends finacee's 2015 xc60 polestar and it was sub 5 0-60..... The brand scares me long term reliability wise (because pretty much everything European sucks) but they are really nice cars. It's just difficult to get feedback on long term ownership because most of the owners are soccer mom " i bought this cuz safety " broads or people who don't log 50-100 miles a day...

-Mike
I’ve put almost 40k miles on mine in 16 months, and save for an oil change every 10k, I’ve had no problems. Customer service at my dealership (Jaffarian) has been great as well.

Polestar models are insanely expensive. It’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k more for one of those, and I’m not sure the added performance is worth the cost.

To the OP, when I was looking, the older infotainment system was an instant non-starter for me, which is a shame, cuz I really like the styling of the new generation V60, but the V90 was out of my price range.

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Why do you want to purchase a Chinese car?
It is owned by a Chinese concern, but built and engineered in Sweden.

A bigger concern than ownership is reliability. Unfortunately, Volvo has horrid reliability. Lots of electrical gremlins.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

A bigger concern than ownership is reliability. Unfortunately, Volvo has horrid reliability. Lots of electrical gremlins.
Part of the problem with these things is that the user base sucks (not a ton of enthusiasts that run them hard/long term) and it's hard to get a lot of real-world feedback on these vehicles. It's not like a bmw, lexus, or Mercedes where there's a ton of forums and data (because enthusiasts). Hell it's even easier to find Audi feedback despite the fact that 80% of Audi buyers are leasetards. (basically every non S or RS audi in MA is a lease, lmao... ) This is because there are Audi/VW nerds around- and some of them are actually brutally honest about their cars. Like other than guys with old 240DL's there's not exactly a lot of people cruising around with wowos with 250k+ under their belt, but I think it's the buyers/market/demographic to blame as much as any gremlins... "volvo reliability and long term tco" might as well queue up the Dr. Who theme... [laugh]

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

That would make it even scarier! Gremlins, Trolls what other creatures?

Last edited:

Dennis in MA

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Not typical, but my wife had 2 of them, back-to-back. Last one was gotten rid of 8 years or so ago.

The amount of $ I spent on repairs on those damned things. Like the SAME THINGS over and over again.

I swore my wife was pulling a Dukes of Hazzard in both vehicles b/c of the front-end work that would always need to be done. I mean, I accused her up and down. (She's not the BEST driver.)

She's had 2 cars since - no front-end work to be done on either of them.

I like the safety. I thought the interiors were very well thought out. I hated paying to have them fixed.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I’ve put almost 40k miles on mine in 16 months, and save for an oil change every 10k, I’ve had no problems. Customer service at my dealership (Jaffarian) has been great as well.

Polestar models are insanely expensive. It’s somewhere in the neighborhood of $10k more for one of those, and I’m not sure the added performance is worth the cost.
Not really, not on a CPO. And if you can afford one of these things whats another 5 grand or whatever? (let's face facts, set up properly these are like 50K luxury
cars. )

I just get pissed off if I buy a car and I don't have the largest motor available, well, at least on common vehicles. Plus I have PTSD from back when the stock wowo motor offering was always a slug.

The only reason I can see wanting to flint out on the thing is if you spend a lot of time stuck in traffic, then the stock mill might get arguably better fuel economy that will pay many dividends vs time. Or the buyer is boring. Like if a guy says "It's for my wife. She has never pressed a gas pedal all the way down in her life. " Then they might as well save the money. [laugh]

On those infotainment systems theres arguments both ways. The 2015ish one on some cars is easier to deal with than the new television set
crap. Part of the things that savagegeese bitched about was the fact that you have to wait for the stupid thing to finish booting up before messing with climate
controls. That's pretty obnoxious. Then again I generally turn into a curmudgeon about that stuff. I use as little of it as possible. Does my phone and mp3 player connect to the stereo? Can I adjust the radio and other basic preferences? if it does that good enough, that's the beginning and the end of me caring about infotainment. I don't care if the built in nav sucks, or if it has apple aircarplay or whatever, or any of that other mental masturbation that people who usually buy teslas are way too interested in. If I wanted an XBox I'd put it in my living room, not my car. [laugh]

-Mike

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Apple CarPlay is pretty important to me. MA is going to get to where merely touching your phone while driving is illegal. I use Waze every day and thus want Apple CarPlay so that it is on the screen rather than my phone.

My current Land Cruiser doesn’t have CarPlay, but I’d the 2020 (more likely 2021) Land Cruiser has CarPlay then I will be trading it in.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Apple CarPlay is pretty important to me. MA is going to get to where merely touching your phone while driving is illegal. I use Waze every day and thus want Apple CarPlay so that it is on the screen rather than my phone.

My current Land Cruiser doesn’t have CarPlay, but I’d the 2020 (more likely 2021) Land Cruiser has CarPlay then I will be trading it in.
I absolutely love CarPlay in my SI. At first I thought it was a gimmick but the way car manufacturers and Apple have meshed the utilization of the software makes it work seamlessly and a necessity today. All I do is hold down one button on my steering wheel (I don’t have “Hey Siri” turned on but that feature does work) and I can call, text, get sports scores, bring up navigation (Apple maps), and I’m sure many other things. I honestly will never purchase another vehicle without it.

KBCraig

NES Member
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My boss drives an S60. At least once a month I'll park, not see his car, but go in and he's there. "In the shop again?" "Yes. (seething scowl)"

He has a 70+ mile commute each way, so he does put on some miles, but when's the last time you heard of a car with less than 150k miles having to have the radiator replaced? He's also had the front end issues, the electronic gremlins, and pretty much everything else.

He will never buy another Volvo.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0

I don't get it. I don't see what the appeal is. So basically it lets you run your phone with infotainment controls or something? What does this crap do that causes people to go full retard over it?

Usually, the more I'm exposed to most of this crap the less of it I usually want in my life. [laugh] I have a 2nd car without bluetooth, and while occasionally annoying, not answering the phone at all while driving is
sometimes a relief.

I see stuff like airplay and the android car thing and the first thing I immediately think of is, as a visceral gut reaction is something along the lines of: "oh great, this is a f***ing dragonbox for a car. how much am I going to get paid to support this crap? Or is it going to make me money? Oh wait, probably 0 on both. Pass. "

-Mike

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
I don't get it. I don't see what the appeal is. So basically it lets you run your phone with infotainment controls or something? What does this crap do that causes people to go full retard over it?

Usually, the more I'm exposed to most of this crap the less of it I usually want in my life. [laugh] I have a 2nd car without bluetooth, and while occasionally annoying, not answering the phone at all while driving is
sometimes a relief.
Yes, it lets me run my phone using the touchscreen. No, I rarely make calls while driving. I do use Waze every day. My commute into Kendall Square is absolute crap. Waze will reroute me around the worst of the traffic. Also, if you’ve ever used Toyota’s Entune system, then you know it is complete and utter crap.

I have my phone stuck to my dash in a magnetic mount. I do my best to set up my destination on my phone before I start moving and then not touch my phone while driving. But there are times when I do want to see a bigger picture of the traffic, which requires me to touch my phone. Under the proposed law in MA, that will be a traffic violation if I do it on my phone, but not if I do it on the car’s screen.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm going to generalize here which may not sit well with some but here it is:

All European brands: dumpster fire as far as reliability and repair costs. Insert the brand - it makes no difference. Volvo, BMW, Audi, VW, Land Rover, ASStin Martin, etc... etc... etc...
All USA Brands = hit or miss. Some vehicles are good. Some are complete shit storms. Like USA made compact trucks.
Jap Brands (Honda, Toyota): Nobody is perfect but these are the best you'll get in any segment. But they have their faults as well. So do some research.
Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai, etc.): Generally not too bad for what they are. Pretty reliable generally and carry low cost of repair.

fan boys begin flaming in 3....2.....1.....

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I'm going to generalize here which may not sit well with some but here it is:

All European brands: dumpster fire as far as reliability and repair costs. Insert the brand - it makes no difference. Volvo, BMW, Audi, VW, Land Rover, ASStin Martin, etc... etc... etc...
All USA Brands = hit or miss. Some vehicles are good. Some are complete shit storms. Like USA made compact trucks.
Jap Brands (Honda, Toyota): Nobody is perfect but these are the best you'll get in any segment. But they have their faults as well. So do some research.
Korean brands (Kia, Hyundai, etc.): Generally not too bad for what they are. Pretty reliable generally and carry low cost of repair.

fan boys begin flaming in 3....2.....1.....
Part of the problem in the case of the OP is he wants a high brow wagon or something wagon like- that automatically narrows his choices down to like 2 brands, Wowo and MB. (although I've seen a few, even MB might have stopped making wagons in the US. ) I don't think anyone else is making a luxury wagon at this point or anything that at least looks/acts like one. They've all whored themselves out to the SUV/crossover retard/dotard/numbskull market because that's what boring american car buyers are buying in exponential droves. They all want to buy crap that "Sits high off the road" while giving them delusions of grandeur about safety (although ironically, a lot of cars in this segment are safety dumpster fires, look at the overlap test failures on shitty jeep SUV outside of the wrangler) or driving through snow (so their fake AWD drivetrain can engage the snow surface for a total of about 10 seconds a year on the mostly plowed/treated roads in 99% of the country). Or delusions about storage in an SUV (and outside of vertical space, most of the "crapovers" don't store that much crap vs a large sedan, and certainly not a wagon like a V60. ) Storage which, they'll never use. Like how often does some a**h*** get potted plants from Blowes or Home despot? ) So basically the rest of us that want something that isn't a dotard-domesticus-mobile have to suffer because we're now the bottom fifth of the market. Thankfully the regular truck market is
expanding so there's that, but that's damning with faint praise.

-Mike

M1911

NES Member
Rating - 100%
26   0   0
Mercedes still sells the E-class wagon in the US. Not inexpensive. Mrs. M1911 drives a Mercedes C-class sedan. We buy new, get the longest available factory extended warranty, keep it about 10 years and then get another. By that time, trade-in value is basically nil.

Mercedes is expensive and doesn’t have the reliability of Toyota or Lexus. In terms of reliability, Volvo makes Mercedes look reliable.

I can’t stand the current styling of Lexus and the Lexus infotainment system (driven by a touchpad) is among the worst in the industry right now — it is basically unusable.

silversquirrel

NES Member
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Do what i do. Keep buying older, used audis, or vdubs, attempt to maintain them yourself, like you did when you were younger.
If you like to suffer, that is.

Btw, vdub alltrack wagon is pretty good. Haldex awd version of the sportwagen.

Avoid vw or audi diesel. Run dont walk.

JDL

NES Member
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it wasn't for the infusion of Chinese money Volvo would have gone the way of the other Troll built brand. There were not enough of the clog waring buyers in the US to support that brand and obviously not enough world wide because they are no more. Volvo wants everyone to believe the myth that they are the safe vehicle and they are in the same class as MB and BMW. They are not. Enough said!

Last edited:
Top Bottom