Who do you prep for?

Knob Creek

NES Member
Who do you prep for? As a 67 year old husband, father and grandfather I feel the weight on me to prep for everyone in the family. Includes my wife, three children and their spouses and six grandchildren. My kids all do prepping to various degrees but I feel the need to insure everyone is taken care of. Anyone else feel the need to be the ‘Patriarch of Prepping’?

I currently prep for my wife, daughter, and our two mother's who are between the age of 50-60. One more than the other can't see the writing on the wall, so we are trying to set our home up to be able to provide food for all of us in the case of SHTF/WROL situations. Garden strong, chicken happy, and stacking as much as we can.

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts but Im at my wits end trying to shove even the most basic tenets of prepping down the throats of my mother and sister. (mom is out of state and sis is about an hour away) Every suggestion is met with "LOL WHY?!"

Not sure if this counts but Im at my wits end trying to shove even the most basic tenets of prepping down the throats of my mother and sister. (mom is out of state and sis is about an hour away) Every suggestion is met with "LOL WHY?!"
My mom is like MSM spoon fed and it took her like 5 minutes to understand why we have chicken. I try not to tell her too much, just plan on picking her up when SHTF and tell her to get in the truck. lol

Since we're kind of on our own here - without family in the state - I prep for my immediate family. I also know that some very close friends are ill prepared, so I'd be open to helping them out if it came down to it.

Who do you prep for? As a 67 year old husband, father and grandfather I feel the weight on me to prep for everyone in the family. Includes my wife, three children and their spouses and six grandchildren. My kids all do prepping to various degrees but I feel the need to insure everyone is taken care of. Anyone else feel the need to be the ‘Patriarch of Prepping’?

i am in your situation. I’m the crazy husband, son, father, granddad and uncle according to my family. I take it in stride. My son and one nephew are starting to get it, my mom is grateful. I keep saying “I’m hope I’m wrong but we need more of X”. I’ll take the verbal jabs but I’m full speed ahead.

Anyone else feel the need to be the ‘Patriarch of Prepping’?
You, We, follow a credo that pre-dates recorded History. We call it 'prepping'... our ancestors called it Survival.
Welcome to the "Original Old Boys Club"...
~Enbloc

"Live Long and Prosper"...

1595470437559.png

Just my wife and two college boys- no other family in the area. We do have some close friends I'd help as able and I have great neighbors to each side and in front- we would have each others' backs. Only miles of woods behind.

Family, that's pretty much it.

As for others IGAS about I talk to them about picking up extra when they do their shopping and try to open their eyes a bit and get them to pay attention to the world that extends beyond their noses. I've(sometimes begrudgingly) given them sources of where to find things, but at the end of the day it's all I can do.

I work with an Okie that just shakes her head at idiots we work with living paycheck to paycheck purchasing whatever new shiny thing is in fashion at the moment. We talk about putting up supplies/food, they talk about whatever celebrity drama is happening that day. I'd love to know 1/10th of what she knows regarding food preservation.

My mom is like MSM spoon fed and it took her like 5 minutes to understand why we have chicken. I try not to tell her too much, just plan on picking her up when SHTF and tell her to get in the truck. lol

i am in your situation. I’m the crazy husband, son, father, granddad and uncle according to my family. I take it in stride. My son and one nephew are starting to get it, my mom is grateful. I keep saying “I’m hope I’m wrong but we need more of X”. I’ll take the verbal jabs but I’m full speed ahead.

Incident last weekend made me shake my head. My sister comes by with my 5 year old niece. Kid loves to go for walks in the woods as do I so we head out. 3 blocks away from home low tire pressure light comes on in my sisters car so we go back. I investigate and she has a huge staple buried in one of her tires. (looked like something that would fasten an electrical service to the side of a house). So I go to my truck and pull out the tire repair kit, basic tool kit and a small compressor that I keep in ammo cans in a storage container in the bed. Halfway through she says "Why do you even have this stuff?". Im like lol wtf? Here we are most of the way done with fixing the problem and about to get back on the road and she cant fathom why it may come in handy even though its literally happening right before her eyes.

Incident last weekend made me shake my head. My sister comes by with my 5 year old niece. Kid loves to go for walks in the woods as do I so we head out. 3 blocks away from home low tire pressure light comes on in my sisters car so we go back. I investigate and she has a huge staple buried in one of her tires. (looked like something that would fasten an electrical service to the side of a house). So I go to my truck and pull out the tire repair kit, basic tool kit and a small compressor that I keep in ammo cans in a storage container in the bed. Halfway through she says "Why do you even have this stuff?". Im like lol wtf? Here we are most of the way done with fixing the problem and about to get back on the road and she cant fathom why it may come in handy even though its literally happening right before her eyes.
LOL I'm guessing she'd rather waste a day waiting for roadside assistance then scheduling and having a tire repair completed at some shop, plus inconveniencing someone else for the ride back and forth?

Your post is a good reminder for me to check my tire plugs and cement to see if fresh.

Also worth keeping in mind that spiking tires is a thing in the inner city environment and you want to be prepared for that as it could happen anywhere shitbirds live. In my younger days I was frequently working in areas where I was the racial minority and using the lib label was subject to 'hate crime'. Apparently the locals hated my tires, as they were frequently spiked. Reminds me of something...

Joking aside, the last time my tires were spiked in downtown St. Louis I needed more air after the repair but I found the nearest gas station to be taped off and half of it blockaded by cops. Bad guys let air out of tires on the car of a key witness in their drug case. Witness worked half a block away from this gas station, so they waited for him and gave him a drive by while he was filling the tires. Gas station attendant told me, "Honey, our air is back there and I don' think they gonna let you use it!". Dead witness was literally laying on the hose.

Back
Top Bottom