• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who carries black powder in central MA?

Like the title says, I'm looking for a gun shop that carries black powder. Specifically, I'm looking for FFF powder, and perhaps cannon fuse too if anyone knows anything about that. I'm in North Central MA (Gardner area) but I'm willing to travel a little ways. I was going to call around, but as I've never even LOOKED for black powder before, I honestly haven't the faintest idea who to start with.

Also, while I'm asking, what does a small container (1lb?) of black powder go for?

I have bought real black powder at Bass Pro shop in Foxboro. They keep it behind the counter.

Pullman Arms carries Blackhorn loose black powder, not sure about the fuses. Blackhorn is good stuff though. Not sure what the price is.

Thanks for the help folks.

Pullman Arms carries Blackhorn loose black powder, not sure about the fuses. Blackhorn is good stuff though. Not sure what the price is.

That's something else I find myself wondering. Are BP alternatives generally a 1:1 substitute?

Pyrodex substitutes for blackpowder by Volume (i.e., same measurer scoop) not by weight

I've gotten Swiss and Schuetzen from Nick's off RT 90 in Palmer for my black powder cartridge rifles. I've never had really good luck with substitutes.

You might want to see if Callaghan Firearms in Marlborough is still around. Black powder was a focus of his as I recall. Tricky shop to find too.

I have read that you can NOT compress Pyrodex and Triple 7 like you can real BlackPowder....an issue when loading Black Powder metallic cartridges like the 45-70.

Back
Top Bottom