Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
Question for folks who (front) pocket carry - I assume you also have keys, phone, and wallet; maybe I'm overthinking or have too much junk in my pockets, but don't you get overloaded? How do you sort everything so it's not all in the way?

If you haven’t yet go to the Duluth Trading store in Cranston and try on various cargos.. pockets are deep enough to pocket carry a full size.. G43, P365 no issue.. my BG is obsolete now and I couldn’t be happier

I never caught the micro gun bug. I guess I don't really place a premium on concealing so I just carry either a Glock 19 or my Combat Commander in a Fobus paddle holster.

This conversation has come up before and we've pretty much agreed. The 938 is a wonderful option. That being said there are so many effective micro 9s out now that I don't see the point in going out of my way to carry a .380. My dad likes carrying the P238 because it it just smaller still. Doesn't make it not effective (though it has it's struggles), but gun is still better than no gun.

I've shot some small 9mm guns and even though recoil doesn't bother me physically it certainly causes more muzzle lift and accuracy suffers because of it. It's like the difference between a glock 26 and 27. I opted for the 26 because recoil barely a thought where with the 27 focus is required. That's why I went with the Bodyguard over say the LC9 and it was smaller still. The recoil of the Bodyguard is like getting slapped on the hand with a ruler but it doesn't have the horsepower to lift the muzzle. The LC9 most certainly requires more concentration on keeping the muzzle down.

Pocket .380's are really cheap nowadays, you can get a Beretta Pico for $219 or a Taurus Spectrum for $169
I love the look of the spectrum until you slide a mag in lol... they were sooo close to a sleek looking little pocket rocket

This conversation has come up before and we've pretty much agreed. The 938 is a wonderful option. That being said there are so many effective micro 9s out now that I don't see the point in going out of my way to carry a .380. My dad likes carrying the P238 because it it just smaller still. Doesn't make it not effective (though it has it's struggles), but gun is still better than no gun.
My first carry gun was an OMC (later renamed AMT) Backup .380. Tiny, brutal trigger and ineffective ammo (tested many in water filled milk jugs) back in the mid-1970s (all 9mm back then were full-sized steel guns). Moved to PPK/s .380 and carried that (or Colt Det Spl .38) for ~20 yrs. Moved on to 9mm and will never look back. Better (more effective) ammo, small enough so that .380 isn't worth considering.

Maybe with the new defensive loads it is a classic case of 'that was then, this is now'?
Still not entirely applicable. A lot of .380 rounds continue to struggle if you go look at the data people have released in the last few years. Whether it be penetration deficiency (I won't say failure), expansion issues, and what not. No reason it should, but probably has to do with the lack of proliferation of .380. Obviously in common usage, but not nearly enough so that companies have been going through design after design to improve it like they did with 9mm to get it up to snuff.
Even though whole .45 argument has pretty much come down to recoil and capacity because some of the technologies that have benefited 9mm are starting to/are being applied to .45. Really neat to see some of the newer rounds expanding to over an inch which is insane.

My first carry gun was an OMC (later renamed AMT) Backup .380. Tiny, brutal trigger and ineffective ammo (tested many in water filled milk jugs) back in the mid-1970s (all 9mm back then were full-sized steel guns). Moved to PPK/s .380 and carried that (or Colt Det Spl .38) for ~20 yrs. Moved on to 9mm and will never look back. Better (more effective) ammo, small enough so that .380 isn't worth considering.
Went through a different path of guns, but basically my sentiment. Still good to hear people at least have something, but .380 is just not for me. Might have been if there weren't so many options in a more accepted caliber that are same/similar size with similar handling (obviously subjective), a better performing round, and cheaper to shoot to boot.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they do produce a 9mm version. Women are the hot market for SD handguns right now and guns with soft recoil, easy slide operating, and lighter trigger pull seem to be what many want. As it happens, those same attributes work for many older shooters as well. These aren't firearms marketed to "gunnies." Which is fine because once we get people into the habit of carrying for self defense, we will have them voting on our side.

I have a Bersa Thunder 380CC. It might be the only one in MA. When I called Eagle Distributors looking a couple of parts, the nice lady that answered the phone said she'd never heard of anyone from MA owning a Bersa.

Make that two people! I have a Bersa Thunder in 22. Great plinking gun.

Whiskeywon, for many that must have a semi the .380 is the only one which can be manipulated due to physical limitations.

If I am reading the charts correctly (BBI) the hot .380 defensive ammo is out of the typical .380 at about 1100 ft/sec and is hitting at about 300 ft/lbs making the attacker in ANY civilian self defense scenario involving the use of a handgun as dead as dead can be.

Even I am tempted to start -looking- for a straight blowback (rotary barrel) .380 that is rated for the hot ammo, which to me is the sole potential issue for this caliber semi.

I EDC a P238 and love it. Small, manageable recoil, and I have learned to shoot it. Of course, I may consider getting a P938 or Sig's Ultra Compact 1911 if I feel I need more stopping power, but I'm good right now.

Whiskeywon, for many that must have a semi the .380 is the only one which can be manipulated due to physical limitations.

If I am reading the charts correctly (BBI) the hot .380 defensive ammo is out of the typical .380 at about 1100 ft/sec and is hitting at about 300 ft/lbs making the attacker in ANY civilian self defense scenario involving the use of a handgun as dead as dead can be.

Even I am tempted to start -looking- for a straight blowback (rotary barrel) .380 that is rated for the hot ammo, which to me is the sole potential issue for this caliber semi.
I pretty well stated that the round still works and there's no reason to not use it if that's what you got or can use. I also stated that gun is better than no gun especially with those who have trouble manipulating. But unless you are carrying FMJ ammunition the vast majority of .380 JHP on the market fails to expand properly and has lacking penetration characteristics (doesn't always mean bad). That being said yes, bullets are still bullets and bullets hurt/kill. But a lot of .380 guns are just as snappy if not more than 9mm due to the straight blowback. Adding hot ammo to that further negates the recoil argument for .380 vs 9mm. I think you are finding an argument I'm not trying to make, just pointing out objective traits and pointing out where things are subjective (which I have made a few subjective points as well).
Issues with manipulation is definitely something that is real for a lot of people though and I think firearms like the .380 EZ from Smith and Wesson are great ideas.

Ever since I got Sig P938, I got rid of .380

Same here. I will carry the LCP in an ankle holster to weddings or funerals if I have to wear a tucked-in shirt (and if it's too hot to wear a jacket). Those are the only two times I ever tuck a shirt in so, LCP collects dust for the most part nowadays. I have never pocket carried anything. Just can't get used to it.

Another Keltec P3-AT in an Uncle Mike's #3 in my jean pocket. Depending on the situation I do carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II in colder months, but 95% of the time it's my trusty pocket 380.

Another PPK guy. In the summer, it just disappears even with shorts and t shirt. Nickel finish with walnut grips, if I could figure out how’s to post a pic from my photo library and not a URL, I would...

I have a G42 and it is a pleasure to shoot.

I carry a 9mm, but if I wanted a softer shooter, nothing can beat a Glock 42.

No recoil and fast follow up shots.

99% of the time I'll have my Keltec P380 in my front left pocket year round. Sometimes I also carry my Springfield XD40.

The Keltec was the breakthrough composite pocket rocket when it came out. I first carried the .320 model but, gosh, that's a small round. I own the Thunder in two versions but both in .380. It's just big and heavy which makes if better for shots out to, say, 50' but uncomfortable for me to carry, anyway.

I grew up always wanting the PPK but discovered that it was hard to shoot without having the slide cut the meat in my hand. If I took my time I was fine but in a "hurry-up" situation I just couldn't rely on my grab to protect my skin. I also had a Sig which was in stainless. Beautiful gun and precision made but much too heavy to be comfortable.

Nobody is going to argue with anyone else about these micro semi-autos being very uncomfortable to shoot. They are. Even with smaller hands they're difficult to control. I do practice with it regularly and do an exercise with the target no more than 15' away, usually a bit closer. I practice a deliberate draw and shoot; no speed involved, just clean and precise draw and shoot all in a single motion. The idea is completely surprise to the perp. And "aiming" is instinctive. No time to align sights even as poor as they are. My exercise is to put one round precisely where my hand points the pistol. The second, "followup" round is difficult but manageable. I rely on that first shot to do the job of shocking/disabling a bad guy if only they are close enough. IF they are 50' away, good luck. I also do, however, have the laser on mine. Why? As a mental deterrent. The laser is easy to point and might, just might, give a bad guy a second thought with it on his chest or forehead. He doesn't know that the chances of a round following it would be difficult. I do practice that too, however.

I'd rather have a .380 than nothing at all for sure. And, knock down power, followup shots, distance shots, etc. are fine but chances are you'll be almost able to throw the pistol at the perp as well as shoot him so close up. I'm thinking of the 9mm Keltec but haven't taken the time to research it up to now. It's hardly much more powerful than the .380 but might be better to control.

I got a PM9 and was carrying that IWB but still desired something smaller. I got a BG380 with the green CT laserguard and carry it in a Mika holster right front pocket. I also carry it in anything, sweatpants (with zippered pocket or SmartCarry) thinner LLBean hiking style pants, etc and it's just so easy and unobtrusive to get up and go.

Attachments

• 20190404_020136.jpg
    20190404_020136.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 20190404_020219.jpg
    20190404_020219.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 37
I got a PM9 and was carrying that IWB but still desired something smaller. I got a BG380 with the green CT laserguard and carry it in a Mika holster right front pocket. I also carry it in anything, sweatpants (with zippered pocket or SmartCarry) thinner LLBean hiking style pants, etc and it's just so easy and unobtrusive to get up and go.
What's the grip sleeve? DIY leather? I have large hands and put a Hogue Handall on my BG. It made more of a difference than I expected.

Back
Top Bottom