• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who carries a .380?

Who carries a .380

• Yes, all the time

Votes: 59 15.4%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 183 47.9%
  • I don't own one

Votes: 96 25.1%
  • I would never carry a .380

Votes: 44 11.5%

• Total voters
I just find it a pain to stock and shoot .380....so I stick with 9mm...but I have shot a glock 42 and thought it was sweet and accurate... whatever you feel most comfortable and accurate with and is reliable is good though.. I know people who carry 22 mag revolvers everyday

Question for folks who (front) pocket carry - I assume you also have keys, phone, and wallet; maybe I'm overthinking or have too much junk in my pockets, but don't you get overloaded? How do you sort everything so it's not all in the way?

While arguably better than a .22 rim, .25, or .32, I have not felt a need to own one yet. With the exception of carrying a Seecamp .32 for my first couple years of carrying, I have only carried 9mm or .38 since. Recently, I switched from my LCR in .38 to a Sig P365 for more firepower in a similar size gun and faster/easier reloading if it became necessary. I like it very much and shoot it very well. If you are so inclined, see my review My P365 Range Trip/Observations Update #3.

To each his own, but for me, these days, with all the tiny 9mm's available, I just don't see the point, especially since most of these tiny .380's probably recoil about the same as a non +P 9mm defensive round.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if they do produce a 9mm version. Women are the hot market for SD handguns right now and guns with soft recoil, easy slide operating, and lighter trigger pull seem to be what many want. As it happens, those same attributes work for many older shooters as well. These aren't firearms marketed to "gunnies." Which is fine because once we get people into the habit of carrying for self defense, we will have them voting on our side.

I do like the shield ez .380, it serves a niche long overlooked in the firearm industry. wondering if it could be made a 9mm also while keeping the easy cocking attribute. as I age, this premise isn't so "funny" anymore.

I have a Bersa Thunder 380CC. It might be the only one in MA. When I called Eagle Distributors looking a couple of parts, the nice lady that answered the phone said she'd never heard of anyone from MA owning a Bersa.

Kahr PM9 in my front pocket no problem all the time, full 9mm and as accurate as any 380 I’ve ever shot. Never a malfunction and getting pretty cheap compared to what I paid for it when they first appeared.

Question for folks who (front) pocket carry - I assume you also have keys, phone, and wallet; maybe I'm overthinking or have too much junk in my pockets, but don't you get overloaded? How do you sort everything so it's not all in the way?
Wallet back left
Phone back right
Keys and change front left
Gun front right (if I'm pocket carrying....if holstered it's 4oclock iwb)
Knife clipped to belt left side.

Always this way....have not changed that in over a decade. It's an army thing.......everything is right were it needs to be in case I need it quick. I've had full hands coming out of a store before and put my wallet in the opposite back pocket before and my phone in my jacket pocket.......freaked me out the whole way walking to the truck till I could put the bags down and set everything right lol

If you need to carry more than that I'd suggest shoulder bag......but for day to day I never need more than the above.

When I pocket carry (rarely):

Front left: phone, flashlight, sharpie
Front right: pistol
Back left: wallet
Back right: handkerchief/bandaids/papers
Clipped to belt loop via carbiner: keys

NOTHING else goes in my pocket when I pocket carry.

I used to carry a Colt Mustang Pocketlite (.380)or S&W 340 (.357 Magnum) due to the small size and light weight. The Mustang is pleasant to shoot, the 340 not so much...

I have some 5.11 cargo pants that have a zipped pocket behind the regular front pocket, I sometimes carry in there in a pocket holster if I'm really worried about wearing a holster.

I have a Colt government model .380 that I like for really hot weather. I have a glock 42 for hot weather, but mostly it sits in the safe. Like others have said, I got a 938 and really like it. It's been utterly reliable for me.

Been carrying my sig p238 for a few years now. Great year round carry, in the front pocket with pocket holster, in the warmer weather. Minimal recoil and very accurate.

i won't lie, :p, i looked long and hard at the ruger lcp and the smith m&p bodyguard with the laser. i generally carry a 9mm shield. trying to rack that shield slide sometimes is brutal. i over grip on the slide and push fwd on the frame with my other hand. no guy wants to admit it but my hand strength is diminishing. some days are worse than others while on the rare occasion, i seem to have the strength of hercules. i do think i'll go with a ruger gp 100 3" revolver before i carry a .380....we'll see.

I carry a bodyguard in a nemesis pocket holster on the regular. It’s just so damn comfortable and concealable. I have much more powerful options, but I’ve been digging th bodyguard for the past few years after initially hating on it for no real reason other than internet criticism.

I have a Colt government model .380 that I like for really hot weather. I have a glock 42 for hot weather, but mostly it sits in the safe. Like others have said, I got a 938 and really like it. It's been utterly reliable for me.
This conversation has come up before and we've pretty much agreed. The 938 is a wonderful option. That being said there are so many effective micro 9s out now that I don't see the point in going out of my way to carry a .380. My dad likes carrying the P238 because it it just smaller still. Doesn't make it not effective (though it has it's struggles), but gun is still better than no gun.

Clearly if there was a civil crisis with looting and such and I needed more firepower to defend the estate I still have several other options (including the Glock and long guns).....

One of those options should be Panzerfaust. Inexpensive, easy to carry and quick to manufacture.

View: https://youtu.be/kIm7nOe_Sag

Back
Top Bottom