• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who can permanently attach an AR15 muzzle brake on the north shore?

I'm looking to do my first AR15 build and I'm looking at a 14.7" upper. Because It is a 14.7" upper that I'm looking at (PSA) it has a pinned Flash Hider. Obviously since this is MA I know it cannot be a FH but must be a muzzle break and at least 1.5" to make it 16" overall length. I have an email in to PSA to ask if they can just attach a MB instead of a FH. They do sell MB's so I don't think it would be an issue but I couldn't get through to them on the phone. I'm not 100% sure you can unpin the FH without screwing up the threads to thread on the MB and then re-pin and weld it. If it can't be done I may just go with a 16" barrel.

Worst case scenario is there anyone on the northshore that could unpin the FH and permanently attach a MB for me? Either way no matter what I decide I may need someone to attach the brake for me I think.

I'll probably be posting a little more as I go but right now I'm trying to build a list and get the basics out of the way.

Last edited:
Bump. I'm interested in who can permanently attach a muzzle brake or compensator as well.

On the North Shore....Call Lou at Business End Customs. http://www.businessendcustoms.com

Heard back from Loui. He seems very helpful. $45 to install a MB and then pin it and weld it. He said its $90 to do what I wanted to do above which is to remove an already pinned FH and then install a MA legal muzzle brake in its place. He did recommend just going with an upper I put my own device on though. I did not ask how much it would be to thread an un-threaded barrel if someone wanted to add a muzzle brake to a barrel that was not threaded. I thought the prices were reasonable.

I've had him do a pin/weld on two uppers for me and was very pleased with the work. His recommendation is spot on. If you are deadset on a 14.5 or 14.7" barrel you can either order a NFA (un-pinned) version and bring it to him ASAP...or if you are willing to go up to a 16" barrel you should be able to find one of those from PSA as well. I'm guessing he could do the barrel threading or have someone he works with do it for him. I can't imagine that would be cheap. It'd probably be cheaper to buy all the components and build it up the exact way you want it.

I've had him do a pin/weld on two uppers for me and was very pleased with the work. His recommendation is spot on. If you are deadset on a 14.5 or 14.7" barrel you can either order a NFA (un-pinned) version and bring it to him ASAP...or if you are willing to go up to a 16" barrel you should be able to find one of those from PSA as well. I'm guessing he could do the barrel threading or have someone he works with do it for him. I can't imagine that would be cheap. It'd probably be cheaper to buy all the components and build it up the exact way you want it.

Going to a 16" barrel may be the way to go to alleviate a little bit of a headache. The extra 1.5-2" of barrel won't make a difference either way. I had already considered that.I just know at least for this build I don't want any longer than that. Being my first AR I may be getting over my head piecing together an upper which is why I am looking to go with a fully complete upper and build the lower on this one.

What would you charge for say these services?

Threading Barrel - We will not have this machinery installed until later in the spring.
Install, Pin, and Weld a MB - $40
Remove currently pinned FH, and replace it with a MB (ensuring overall length of 16" or more) - Between $70-$80 depending on original setup

See above.

LT1MCSS,

We do anywhere from 5 to 60 pin, weld and paints a week a large percentage need to be unpinned. My staff can do this while you wait here. Walpole is a little farther than some of the other guys, but this is a very common task for us. Thanks - Don

Cut throat bidness!!!!
I will do it for $39.95 and let you pet my dog. lol

Thanks Lou. You answers all my questions pretty fast. I'm taking into consideration what you said with the uppers (different manufacturers, etc.) in the last email and looking over all the options. Right now my build looks to be coming in around $1100. I don't mind spending a little more but I would like to be all done, out the door for no more than $1500, less if I can help it. My biggest problem is when do you say enough is enough or this part is good enough for a target and sport rifle mostly. As most of the people know you can spend less than $1000 or literally thousands building a rifle. I haven't bought any parts yet but when I do I plan on coming to see you.

I think I may start a build thread soon to get a few more ideas or get suggestions on my build.

Last edited:
LT1MCSS,

We do anywhere from 5 to 60 pin, weld and paints a week a large percentage need to be unpinned. My staff can do this while you wait here. Walpole is a little farther than some of the other guys, but this is a very common task for us. Thanks - Don

Thats funny, I just called 1776 today and they told me they no longer do the "sit and wait." I was told I would have to drop it off and that they only do them on Friday so I would have to drop off Thursday or Friday morning and pick up Saturday. I am in need of someone to pin and weld my ar as well.

Looking to get this done to my AR as well. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with these guys http://www.laroccagunworks.com/ . I wanted to go to Pullman Arms in Worcester but the kid that does it is going to be gone all next week. I thought of 1776 but after calling them I found that they only do it Fridays and they no longer do the "sit and wait." I dont want to have to make that drive, turn around and come back and then do it all over again the next day.

From what I recall, you just need to secure the muzzle device to the barrel with something that will need temperatures above 1000 (or 1100) F before 'failing'... Not sure if pinning is required, or just 'normal' practice to ensure the fuds are satisfied. How about getting some of this: AAC threadlocking compound?? It won't let loose until heated to above 2000F, which more than exceeds the requirements. Also means you won't need to heat the barrel up until you want to remove the item. If you're going to be doing more barrels, you could go with this too (more money, but also a lot more volume)...

Just trying to help those stuck behind the iron curtain of stupidity.

Slickrick,
Thank you for calling and inquiring about service, you spoke to one of my gate keepers who will always give you a delayed work time due to the amount of work we see. We did multiple pin welds and paints today for walk ins. If you walk in with a pw&p we will do it on spot.
Thanks -Don owner of 1776:

Slickrick,
Thank you for calling and inquiring about service, you spoke to one of my gate keepers who will always give you a delayed work time due to the amount of work we see. We did multiple pin welds and paints today for walk ins. If you walk in with a pw&p we will do it on spot.
Thanks -Don owner of 1776:

Thank you sir for your response to my post. In that case, my next question would be.................can I come tomorrow?

We are open 12-5 but please try to make it in before 4. Thanks -Don

Not to hijack the thread but I'm looking at getting my mosin 91/30 barrel cut down and recrowned as well as getting the receiver drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Is that something that could be done while I wait at the shop? I ask since I live an hour and a half away and would like to avoid making 2 trips. But if there's no way around that then I'll have to drop it off and pick it up another day.

Back
Top Bottom