• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Who’s the go-to for rifle bedding?

Mudflap621

NES Member
I’m looking for recommendations for where to go for rifle bedding. I’ve got a tikka that’s going in a chassis and I’m leaning towards bedding it but I don’t know where to go. I’m in Sturbridge area but don’t mind traveling want it done right.

I’m looking for recommendations for where to go for rifle bedding. I’ve got a tikka that’s going in a chassis and I’m leaning towards bedding it but I don’t know where to go. I’m in Sturbridge area but don’t mind traveling want it done right.
Acra Glass from Brownells. Follow the instructions, it is not that hard to do.

Wait... you want to bed a chassis? They have V blocks or pillars. One of the reasons to pick a chassis over a stock is that you don’t have to worry about bedding. Maybe it’s just me...
The tikka has a slight radius where the circled mating surfaces are. The chassis is machined flat so initially I’m thinking it would benefit. I’ve been reading seems like half and half so it but haven’t found much about the tikkas in specifically this chassis. Most the nutty long range guys I listen to and read about are running 700 clones. I’m gonna send an email to the manufacturer see what they say. I’ll may set it in and see how it does without but just the idea of radius on flat has me thinking.

image-asset.jpeg

View attachment 445896There really isn’t a lot to do really but like I said I just don’t wanna mess it up.
Im thinking the slight flare on those holes is what the radius of your barrel sits in?
When you lay the action in the chasis does it stay “ up right “ or fall/roll to the sides.
what chassis is it?
Where is the recoil lug,

That looks like a plastic stock. Is there a metal frame in it ? If not, I dont think it's worth the time to bed it if there is no metal frame molded in.

if it's a .22 gun, forget it, you won't hit shit anyways.

Im thinking the slight flare on those holes is what the radius of your barrel sits in?
When you lay the action in the chasis does it stay “ up right “ or fall/roll to the sides.
what chassis is it?
Where is the recoil lug,
I’ll look more closely but I don’t think it sits down in the holes much if at all they aren’t much bigger than action screws. Recoil lug is machined into the chassis at the front so that is one flat surface yes.
Masterpiece arms it doesn’t wanna roll over. I guess the smart thing to do would be put it in and Shoot it. :rolleyes: 82ACC748-6491-4919-A0A3-67041D2A91EB.jpeg

That looks like a plastic stock. Is there a metal frame in it ? If not, I dont think it's worth the time to bed it if there is no metal frame molded in.

if it's a .22 gun, forget it, you won't hit shit anyways.
Sure doesn’t feel like plastic but I’ve been fooled before. For the price it better not be.

it is a 22...kinda

Last edited:
Mike Larocca at Larocca Gun Works in Worcester should be able to do a nice bedding job for you.

MPA - yeah, def not a plastic chassis. I'd just visit a hardware store and do it myself or leave it alone and shoot it first.

What caliber is it and is this for PRS ?

Sure doesn’t feel like plastic but I’ve been fooled before. For the price it better not be.

it is a 22...kinda
I cant tell for sure from the picture but it looks like the action should sit on the areas just to the sides of the action screw holes.
Im no expert in chassis systems but for $1000 or so I would hope I did not need to bed it.
In my head I see maybe bedding the recoil lug and any flat area that the action may be sitting on and let the V block system settle it down and you now you dont have uneven contact at the flats or recoil lug?
Mount it up , torque to manufactures specs , check your action screws every few shots to make sure they stay snug

MPA - yeah, def not a plastic chassis. I'd just visit a hardware store and do it myself or leave it alone and shoot it first.

What caliber is it and is this for PRS ?
It’s a 223 I don’t compete but I spend money like I do 😂. I literally had a krg bravo in my shopping cart ready to order and was surfing another forum and this just got posted and well I shoulda not had that many beers so bought it. It’s been bad, my neighbor thinks they put a UPS distribution center next door the last few weeks.

Don't rush ahead of yourself.

Put in the chassis, and see how it shoots.

Experiment with torque settings. Spend some time researching what other shooter's have to say about torque setting for that particular chassis.

If it isn't shooting up to your expectations--THEN consider bedding it.

If you don't plan on bedding any other rifles, you might be on the right track with paying someone else to do it.

You'll need release agent, the bedding epoxy, and gunsmithing action screws are nice to have.

Acra Glas is OK--though I find it a bit runny. Marine Tex is my go-to, generally. Some guys swear by Devcon.

Amazon product ASIN B001446LKOView: https://www.amazon.com/Marine-Might-Repair-Ounce-Gray/dp/B001446LKO/ref=pd_sbs_1?pd_rd_w=hSKEy&pf_rd_p=c52600a3-624a-4791-b4c4-3b112e19fbbc&pf_rd_r=PNVWJFT70J9Z44BY66AV&pd_rd_r=8fb38ba8-f9db-4b11-8084-ae88c90fa4d2&pd_rd_wg=O7ijS&pd_rd_i=B001446LKO&psc=1

DEVCON LINK: Devcon Plastic Steel Glass Bedding Compound Putty 1 lb

Watch some YOUTUBE videos to get a sense of technique. Maybe pop by Snipers Hide to see if anybody (who knows WTF they're doing) has posted a picture thread with tips and tricks for that particular chassis.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I cant tell for sure from the picture but it looks like the action should sit on the areas just to the sides of the action screw holes.
Im no expert in chassis systems but for $1000 or so I would hope I did not need to bed it.
In my head I see maybe bedding the recoil lug and any flat area that the action may be sitting on and let the V block system settle it down and you now you dont have uneven contact at the flats or recoil lug?
Mount it up , torque to manufactures specs , check your action screws every few shots to make sure they stay snug
I think your onto something here I just went down and looked at it a little closer and it looks like there are witness marks on the “v block” as u call it. So maybe there isn’t direct contact at the action screw? 7700A963-60DA-426E-95FE-EDD3331A28BF.jpeg

You should not need to bed the action into that chassis. You can do it, but it probably won’t help anything. Just make sure it’s the right chassis for the action.

Just sell it to me for cheap... or I'll trade you my OEM Tikka Stock and you can bed it. Actually, you can have your choice of my OEM black plastic stock or the OEM camo stock.

Just sell it to me for cheap... or I'll trade you my OEM Tikka Stock and you can bed it. Actually, you can have your choice of my OEM black plastic stock or the OEM camo stock.
Mmmkay put a barreled action in there and we’re getting close

Back
Top Bottom