Who’s canning ?

Twigg

NES Member
We just pulled 2 small loads out of the pressure cooker (Don’t need expensive pressure canner - yes, there’s a difference. There’s 9 pints of pork loin and 3 pints of lamb roasts. We usually stick to pork and poultry so the lamb was a trial run. Lamb meat can have a fair amount of connective tissue and I believe the canning process will pretty much take care of any tough things.

7A846CF7-2CB9-4C2B-BEF9-619B84B153D3.jpeg

We process the pork by layering meat then red onion pieces and roughly 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic bits. Might sound like not much garlic but there’s four layers in each pint. We added chopped rosemary to similar layers of lamb.
If we don’t open a can (jar) of lamb for dinner tonight, we’ll have it tomorrow and I’ll post results in this thread. While the rest of the world is scrambling for an extended bug in, we’re all set.

So how was it? What kind of pressure cooker do you use? They are all unubtainium right now and don't want to buy a piece of crap so I am interested in your experience.

We use a regular pressure cooker. The kind you can get at a walmart or target. No pressure guage, just a "jiggiler" on top. You can spend a lot more for a dedicated pressure canned if you want. It may or may not have more capacity depending on size. The pressure cooker does the same exact thing the more expensive canned does.

don't worry about buying an old canner the parts are usally still avalible, we refurbised a few with new guages and new safty buttons for cheap money. the wife has been doing some broths and we are ready for the garden to produce.

So, how did the lamb turn out?

Results were favorable. The meat came out nicely. It retained its texture without falling apart or being excessively chewy. We always start with raw pack and don't add any water. The liquids rendered out of the meats make for super tasty gravies, stews and soups.

It came with the original manual (1975) which has a price list for parts, about 20% of todays parts. It's all there and then some @ $80 I am pleased.

The Roma green beans are coming in...will be pressure canning about three batches of 7 quarts tonight.

We were out in the garden at 0645 this morning picking and will be for the next few days.

we did 21 qts of pickles this week. (not ours but from a local farm. ) 20lbs for $25.00 made momma happy to get some stuff put up. our garden is finally starting to produce. (Squash yellow and Zuke) and the rest is coming along since we got rain .

Last edited:
Never thought of canning potatoes but I find myself with about 20 lbs right now. So before they go bad I ned to do something with them.
If they sprout eyes just rub them off. Usually by the third time they don’t sprout back. Way easier than canning.
I store the taters I grow in baskets lined with paper to keep out the light. The baskets stay in the coolest room
In the house and last till spring for replanting.

Son in Alaska cans better than 500 jars of moose, deer, bear, halibut and salmon each year. To take them thru the winter. It's just a way of life up there. His wife has hundreds of ways to prepare the stuff. Also sends some of his great smoked salmon down to me. Jack.

Yup, food and fuel for heat are two of the highest priorities.

I canned some apricot jam the other night and forgot how satisfying it is to make your own delicious food and preserve it. Now I'm looking at pressure canners so I can expand my repertoire to foods you can't do in a water bath canner. I'm thinking stews, chili, more veggies, etc. I save a lot of stuff in the freezer, but canned would be way nicer.

I'm looking at a Presto 23 quart pressure canner (model # 01781). When I first looked, they were $95 on Amazon. I'm trying to avoid Amazon, so I have been looking elsewhere too. Two days later it's up to $135 so I'll probably bide my time until it comes back down. It's a game to me now. Worse comes to worst I saw them at my hardware store for $150. I'd rather pay $15 more there than give it to Bezos.

Follow-on: I have a pressure cooker but I have no idea what pressure it goes to. It's a newer style with the little yellow plunger that pops up when it gets to pressure. "They" say pressure cookers and pressure canners are not interchangeable, but @Twigg is saying otherwise. It seems to me if they get to the same pressure, they should be interchangeable. Care to comment?

We just pulled 2 small loads out of the pressure cooker (Don’t need expensive pressure canner - yes, there’s a difference. There’s 9 pints of pork loin and 3 pints of lamb roasts. We usually stick to pork and poultry so the lamb was a trial run. Lamb meat can have a fair amount of connective tissue and I believe the canning process will pretty much take care of any tough things.

View attachment 345287

We process the pork by layering meat then red onion pieces and roughly 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic bits. Might sound like not much garlic but there’s four layers in each pint. We added chopped rosemary to similar layers of lamb.
If we don’t open a can (jar) of lamb for dinner tonight, we’ll have it tomorrow and I’ll post results in this thread. While the rest of the world is scrambling for an extended bug in, we’re all set.
I stock half my pantry about 160 jars a year. Not to mention the dehydrated food and frozen. Takes time but saves money.

added. My canner is an all American 30qt.

the only way I would use a pressure cooker for canning is if I put a calibrated gauge on it. I would hold off for a real canner. canning supplies of all types are still hard to come by, so I would buy them when you find them.

I canned some apricot jam the other night and forgot how satisfying it is to make your own delicious food and preserve it. Now I'm looking at pressure canners so I can expand my repertoire to foods you can't do in a water bath canner. I'm thinking stews, chili, more veggies, etc. I save a lot of stuff in the freezer, but canned would be way nicer.

I'm looking at a Presto 23 quart pressure canner (model # 01781). When I first looked, they were $95 on Amazon. I'm trying to avoid Amazon, so I have been looking elsewhere too. Two days later it's up to $135 so I'll probably bide my time until it comes back down. It's a game to me now. Worse comes to worst I saw them at my hardware store for $150. I'd rather pay $15 more there than give it to Bezos.

Follow-on: I have a pressure cooker but I have no idea what pressure it goes to. It's a newer style with the little yellow plunger that pops up when it gets to pressure. "They" say pressure cookers and pressure canners are not interchangeable, but @Twigg is saying otherwise. It seems to me if they get to the same pressure, they should be interchangeable. Care to comment?
We use the "jiggler"' that came with our pressure cooker. Its calibrarted for 15 lbs pressure with the two weights that it came with.
No issues with anything we've processed. That plunger you mentioned, when it pops up, its time to put the jiggler on. Once it starts jiggeling is when you start a timer for processing.

We use the "jiggler"' that came with our pressure cooker. Its calibrarted for 15 lbs pressure with the two weights that it came with.
No issues with anything we've processed. That plunger you mentioned, when it pops up, its time to put the jiggler on. Once it starts jiggeling is when you start a timer for processing.
Mine has no jiggler. It's a new-ish one.

I'm gonna wait and get a real one. I'm just going to play the game and jump as soon as I see it hit the right price (and not from Bezos).

So, how did the lamb turn out?
I knew forgot something...
Actually it turned out very well. My wife made a lamb stew. 1 pint of lamb, a medium potato diced into 1/2 " cubes, cup and a half of frozen peas & carrots. Add more onion if you want but there's enough onion & garlic in with the meat. Like I said, lamb cans beautifuly. Nice & tender.

If y'all are still having trouble finding canning parts order it online with walmart and have it delivered to the store. I was at walmart a couple of months ago and bought 16 cases of jars thinking it was all they had. Walmart lady said if you order online it will get there in about a week and they won't sell it to anyone else.

Well I got a 16qt Presto pressure canner this past weekend. It's the kind that uses the weight vs the dial gauge. I'm glad I went that route because listening to the steam was much easier than watching a dial for two hours. And I believe it's somewhat self-correcting, within reason. I didn't have to fuss with the heat much at all.

Last night I made a batch of split pea soup that became 4 pints, and did a cold pack beef stew that I botched up and it leaked about 88 minutes into the 90 minute processing time. I can't say for sure but I think all 5 of those jars leaked. I think they all sealed in the end, but I'll put them in the fridge and eat them up sooner than later just in case. My guess is that I packed them too tight, and maybe a whisker too full. The house smelled good though.

It was disappointing for sure but I think I just overpacked them. Next time I'll make quarts instead and not try to do two different things at the same time. I just didn't have enough meat to do much more. The soup probably came out alright and next time I'd double the recipe to fill the canner. Basically I should have kept it simple, but I'm learning.

P.S. I'm still on the fence with the 16qt canner vs the 23qt. I'd like to be able to fit more in the taller one, but in my kitchen even the 16qt is a pretty big pot. And maybe the smaller one will help keep me from being overly ambitious every time.

P.P.S. I think my house was built before people cooked, used a bathroom, or drove cars bigger than a Miata.

ETA I just busted into one of the beef stews and it is frigging amazing. I'd probably halve the salt next time, but otherwise it's delicious. It's basically equal parts: beef, potatoes, carrots, onions with 1/2 tsp salt or so in a pint jar. All ingredients are raw going into the jar, hot water filled to 1" headspace, processed for 90 minutes at 15 lbs.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom