1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. NES Life memberships are now available, click here for details.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

White House says it will lift threat to states that have legalized marijuana

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Reptile, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Reptile

Reptile NES Member

President Donald Trump told a Republican senator this week that he will support efforts to shield states that have legalized marijuana from legal threats -- a policy that appears to be at odds with his administration's January push to ramp up federal enforcement.

The White House confirmed this week that while the Department of Justice rescinded an Obama-era policy, which largely kept federal prosecutors from pursuing marijuana-related charges in states that had legalized the drug, the change will not impact states' legal marijuana industries.

White House says it will lift threat to states that have legalized marijuana

Will they allow gun owners to use marijuana now?

2. 42!

42! NES Member

Why doesn't Congress just change the law? With all the bills being introduced why not this one? This is just gov BS.

Rkelly5803 likes this.
  3. Emacs

Emacs

BS, but still progress. It's way better than Trump trying to go all Duterte on our asses.

Jason Flare and Mountain like this.
  4. Mesatchornug

Mesatchornug NES Member

Why doesn't Trump tel the SEA to reschedule it already? Why didn't Obama?

Because they like the power.

CK30, SouthShore57 and Jason Flare like this.
  5. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Kill 2 birds with one stone. LEgalize pot - and tax the shit out of it.

Save loot on enforcement.
    Save on overcrowded jails filled with people who committed the victimless crime of possession
    Offset the cost (pay for) the Trump Tax cuts

PilotRPI, Sentenza and jpk like this.
  6. Emacs

Emacs

Even better... legalize it and don't tax it at all.

CK30, SKumar, jhagberg88 and 5 others like this.
  7. WanMan99

WanMan99 NES Life Member NES Member

Ahh, but you are forgetting that there is always a stick that comes with the carrot. Gov never just "gives" the people anything.

8. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

No, they won't change the 4473, not a chance in the world for that to happen.

At most it will just be like the AG AWB BS, maybe they won't prosecute "for now" subject to change, but you are still a criminal.

gamma19 likes this.
  9. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

I would rather tax a consumption of a vice then my income. I'm all for shifting that burden... But lets be real - government needs tax revenue and it has to come from somewhere. I think this is a better option. Won't happen though as allowing the fed to impose a sales tax would require a constitutional amendment. Then once they have the power they'll tax everything and I'm all set with that noise. Well - absent the amendment also removing the Feds ability to impose an income tax... But that would never happen. The government never takes power away from itself.

10. weekendracer

weekendracer

Where do people go to jail for simple MJ possession?

11. mecheenop

mecheenop

.GOV has tax revenue, and lots of it. Perhaps it should be spent more wisely.

As far as taxing vises, I think that is BS and the “vises” are arbitrary.

xjma99 and Coyote33 like this.
  12. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Several states have 3 strike laws on the books. Cali - for example had jails full of 3-peat offenders. Prior to legalization there of course.

Other states will send you to the clink if you possess over a certain amount - say an ounce. That arbitrary amount crosses you from "possession" into "intent to distribute".

13. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

I disagree. I think taxing something that has a health consequence to the public - like alcohol, tobacco, and mary-jane is wise fiscal policy. Those substances do harm the public health and we all pay for that in higher premiums on our insurance and taxes. I think shifting that financial burden just to those who consume the substances via a tax is better policy. It discourages their use and fairly assigns the financial burden to those who impose such.

14. Coyote33

Coyote33

This is wrong also. Instead of adding the tax as you propose, how about not imposing the burden of someone else's poor choice on everyone?

Sentenza and Fixxah like this.
  15. ThePreBanMan

ThePreBanMan NES Member

Someone has to pay.... Health care isn't free. Society isn't going to turn people away at the hospital door if they can't pay for their care. That's what it would take in your world and that's not going to happen. So realistically the tax makes the most sense.

I would even go a step further and advocate insurance rates being set based on substance use. Say every so often someone can VOLUNTARILY submit to drug, tobacco and alcohol testing. Premiums go down based on lack of use. Something like that....

Think of it like the Progressive insurance VOLUNTARILY safe driver snap shot discount. They plug a monitor into the OBD2 port of your car. They use this monitor to make sure you don't speed. You get a discount. Your insurance rate is then set based on your driving habits.

I think we could do something like this in health insurance too. Someone who is obese and eats at BK daily, drinks, smokes, etc should pay more than someone who hits the gym 5 days a week, eats clean/healthy and doesn't drink to excess or smoke. Someone who gets a physical annually pays less than someone who never goes to the doctor until they get very ill and in need of costly care. That sort of stuff. Premiums become more habit/lifestyle based as opposed to one large pool. They'll always be people who just choose to live unhealthy lifestyles but the costs for that become more of a burden directly to them than the others. They pay higher premiums and pay the taxes on the vices. I think that as just and right.

Like anything, it's a slippery slope with room for debate. For example, where does the sin tax end? Do we tax large sugary soft drinks? How about meals/dinners at restaurants that are over say 1000 calories? How about taxing unhealthy foods like Twinkies, Funny Bones or ice cream? Those are the decisions we would need to make.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  16. Coyote33

Coyote33

17. Peicemaker

Peicemaker

A little off base here. If you have dirt, seeds, water and sunlight you can grow weed. Thats why its called weed. In is not a difficult crop to grow and in a situation of outright legalization people will just grow it and give it away/ trade it for other varieties. Or they'll sell it under the table. Not exactly a taxable commodity or at least its not taxable in the way you envision it to be. Tourists from outside the country and lazy rich people will buy it in stores and pay the tax. Nobody else will.

xjma99 likes this.
  18. glide

glide

Ummm...everywhere if they’re not white.

Sentenza likes this.
  19. mecheenop

mecheenop

My premiums are high because fat people and cigarette smokers are insured at the same rate as a healthy responsible person.

The way I see it the gov users vise taxes as a way to hide their fiscal irresponsibility they talk a good game in the name of public good but would never every dream of making a product like tabacco illegal. In reality they are being paid trough tax (legal extortion) to keep tabacco on the shelf

Alcohol tax, cigarette tax, junk food tax ( i think nyc does this) ammo tax (Seattle), gun tax see where this winds up going ? Poll tax? Right to assembly tax?

20. jpk

jpk

On the issue of MJ, Trump needs to do what he did on DACA.......throw the ball into Congresses laps.....until then enforce the law......

He wins over a lot of people by doing so imho.....

MJ shouldnt be illegal.....I have zero interest in it but the so called war on drugs is a miserable failure just like prohibition was and gun control......

Legalize it and it kicks the legs out from a pile of criminals/criminal orgs, improves the safety of it and puts a dent into federal deficit.

At the same time it cuts costs associated with PoPO not to mention MASSIVE cost of incarcerating people pointlessly

21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Because jingoservatives have a pole up their ass about legalizing it, for some bizarre reason.

-Mike

22. Woodsy

Woodsy NES Member

They need to remove all laws against marijuana, period. It’s a waste of time , money and no reason to jail people on it. Personally I don’t care if people choose to partake in this habit. Hate to see my tax dollars being thrown away on a BS law

23. weekendracer

weekendracer

Nah, have not seen it in practice unless something else is going on in addition to the MJ. Stacking charges on a scumbag, I've seen, but simple possession? Don't believe it. Especially in the Northeast.

24. glide

glide

Yeah. Like not being white.

I can’t tell if you’re joking or not.

Mesatchornug likes this.
  25. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias

Of course they will tax it. Didn't we have a revolution because we wanted a big government that would tax everything?

(Sarcasm)

26. chidiver

chidiver NES Member

"Tax the crap out of it?"...no. That is how you get black markets run by criminals. Tax it reasonably.

27. Super99Z

Super99Z NES Member

Taxes don't discourage use of anything, it just creates a black market for said product.

28. Boris

Boris Son of Kalashnikov NES Member

they do that now, just in a more subtle ways.

Let me translate: "tax" - extortion of money with a threat of violence. We need more .gov and more taxes on dandelions and other weed like we need a f***ing enema.

new guy and knoxy like this.
  29. SKumar

SKumar NES Member

Most sin taxes can be avoided by skipping retail:
    -tobacco = grow your own
    -alcohol = brew your own
    -gas = walk, bike, public transport, EV

Marijuana will certainly be grown at home to avoid taxes, unless the market prefers the specifically engineered stuff.

30. CK30

CK30 NES Member

^^^
    This