Which would you carry?

Just looking for some opinions here. I currently carry a Walther PPK as my main ccw. I was thinking about getting a Smith&Wesson 642 to replace this as my carry piece. I realize the 38spl has more stoping power, but what about pocket imprint, since I will be carrying in my front pocket. I realize the smith is also quite a bit lighter, but which would you carry? ( I know most people wouldnt carry either of these, but these are what I'm choosing between) Thanks for the imput!

Either one. I've carried both. .38 or .38+P has more power, but you get 7 rounds out of the Walther and faster reloads.

I wouldn't carry a revolver in my pocket. I wouldn't carry a Walther PP (or derivative), as I find them under-powered and painful to shoot.

I don't have any problems with pocket carry with my #642. It a great all around carry gun. Would I like more rounds and easier reload yes but other then those 2 concerns it fits the use perfectly.

I have anticipated replacing my snubbie with either a PPK (or now maybe PPS), or some other small carry gun but I have not done so mainly because I can't really justify it in my budget when my #642 is so reliable.

snubbies with no hammer in a pocket holster are not bad at all. I think you'll find threads about the 642 and pocket holsters posted in the last month or so, and how the 642 is balanced so that it has a barrel down tendency so it conceals and draws well.

I had a Taurus Millennium .380 that I sold to buy a model 60, and then 2 weeks later I bought a 642. I'm old enough to have CCW'd a model 36 because that was the best gun at the time for CCW in summer clothing, and I guess I'm just a fan of the J frame ever since.

PS I have 1 speedloader, but mostly used speedstrips to carry extra ammo. Cheap to buy, easily hidden, fast to use.

642, hands down... I hate .380 ACP.

The PPK is a nice gun but the DA trigger is probably the worst DA trigger on
any handgun out there. And it fires .380 ACP.

-Mike

Carry the 642. It's reliable and has better stopping power. I don't trust my life to a box of 50 380s. I'd feel much more comfortable with a cylinder or two of 38 +p in a gun that isn't going to jam.

Like all carry guns, you need to wring your out. My PPK was utterly reliable, as long as you didn't feed it aluminum-cased Blazers. Never had a malf with any other ammunition.

The bobbed hammer of the PPK will not snag anything, and it's got a decocker so you can carry it hammer down, and then fire the first shot in double action. Is it a target trigger? Hell, no. But it's not as bad as some of these folks are making it out to be.

I love my 342 J frame. But if you decide that you MUST have an auto, check out the Kahr PM9. Its lighter than your PPK and with it you can shoot full boat 9mm loads in relative comfort. (and its made in Mass)

Don

I had both, and I mainly carry a S&W 337 Airweight Ti. (even today). I do love autos, but in a cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster it's perfect and light!!!

The Walther was nice and was reliable (German manufacture), but I wanted a bit more power... Plus the Walther (since sold for a tidy profit) was like new... I carried it ~3 times...

642 hands down...Reloading under pressure comes easier with practice, but if you do any real research into real-world confrontations, most situations are resolved in fewer shots than are on deck anyway, (1-2). A Mika pocket holster will make this gun disappear in just about anything and IWB, jacket and all other modes of carry are as easy as pie...This gun is as easy to carry as my car keys... Personally, I'd take one 642 over 2 PPK's, but that's just me....

I carry a 442 in a pocket holster by Uncle Mike. People don't know you are carrying at all. They are shocked when you remove the holster and gun in one easy motion. I do carry, but I hope I never have to use it.

Get a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips from Midway or elsewhere, and some A-ZOOM Action Proving Dummy, Snap Cap 38 Special Aluminum to practice your reloads with safely!

I got 2 packs of the speed strips; 1 set is loaded with live rounds, 1 set with the snap caps for ready practice.

The speed strips completely conceal in the watch pocket of a pair of jeans on your strong side.

... Can you tell that my vote is for the 642? [grin]

Once you have your snub, look up my pal Michael DeBethencourt and sign up for one of his www.snubtraining.com defensive snub revolver classes.

He's the bomb!

Darius Arbabi

He's great! I really enjoyed his class at the NEShooters summit. He's very entertaining but also very informative. Now I just need to get a snub in time for his 2-day class July 11th & 12th. I'm torn between a 642/442 or an SP101.

I am too young to carry in MA but I have a second home in the lovely state of VT where i can carry. I carry a smith model 37 airweight. My advice go with the 642

I would carry the 642. I personally carry a 442 when concealment is an issue, and a Colt Commander otherwise. The J frame conceals very well with a pocket holster, and even better with an IWB (although the draw seems to be a little slower). That being said, you need to carry whatever you're going to carry. By that I mean you need to carry whatever you WILL carry, all the time, every time. If you have concerns about printing with the 642, and this causes you to hesitate to carry it, then you shouldn't carry it. If you're confident you can conceal the PPK, well, you already made your decision then.

Back
Top Bottom