• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which stereotype gun owner annoys you the most?

I took a friend shooting and he was giving me crap about my .22. “Dude, you should get one of these”. After a few hundred rounds he was ready to pack up and leave. I pulled out another brick. “Dude, I gotta get one of those”.

My favorite is the guys that come to the club plate shoots with $5k in a gun and geer and totally suck ass. Had one show up last year......sti 9mm......$500 optic.........magnetic holster (even though we don't do holster draw at our shoots).....gun belt with 6 mags (we only shoot 3 mags per turn).......go pro on forehead linked to his iPhone set on the bench so he can be sure his camera is lined up to catch all the "action".

Shooter load and make ready.....shooter ready......standby......beep......miss miss hit miss miss miss.......8 seconds on the clock. [rolleyes]

Even better when the next guy up is shooting a 40 year old 38 special revolver and posts 3.5 seconds clean. [rofl]

the answer is "D"...

iu

Last edited:
I hate the over weight by 100lbs guys that can't make up their mind on which firearm is their favorite so they just keep buying and buying and buying to find the holy grail of a gun that even if they do find it, they won't know it if it hit them in the face. They are too fat to be any kind of tactical, so any type of real world training is useless. In a real world SHTF situation, they have to lift their gut up out of the way so they draw their sidepiece that their paper targets have kept them so well trained for. They bench rest shoot because they cant handle standing up in a still position for more than 30 seconds because of their knees. Thats all they are good for, punching holes in paper. My god, I just described myself. I hate myself. Im going to bed.
i'm throwing some hate at you right now, nick. [laugh]

seriously, no one bothers me any more but i think if i were forced to make a comment i would ask people to buy a spotting scope. that burns my ass when guys call a cease fire after every 5 rounds so they can walk halfway down range to peer in at their target. i know you've all encountered them if you spend any time at the range...hunting season is the worst, those sight ins don't you know.

That's great.

And how many times were you ever taken up on your cash offer firing a fullauto? I'll bet few or none.

I've let people burn through thousands of rounds of ammo on the range over the years and never asked for or expected any remuneration. Ive refused it every time. I've never accepted a dime from anyone firing my machine guns and never saw anyone else do it other than people (07 SOTs with post samples) who were renting guns on the range at a shoot.

I consider it a donation to the cause.

I think it depends on the person. Donation to the cause is subjective here. On which cause.

A new ish shooter, maybe someone who has only one gun and is just getting into it? I would never accept or expect money if they wanted to shoot a few mags through anything I have. Doesn't matter to me how much it costs me personally as getting them enlightened or excited IS the cause.

Now a person who has 4-5 guns and I'm there with 4-5 guns, I'd offer $ if I wanted to say, have a go at a .500 or .50 A/E. I doubt it would be accepted .Would at least trade off a mat or so though something I had with me. The cause here is fellowship and discovery. I'd also turn down any offer if I had the thing someone wanted to fire in this situation..

Now spin this over to .50 BMG for example .(or even .338 on up). Cause might be different here..

Full auto giggle with a 9mm Uzi.. also maybe different cause beyond one mag. (And please loaded with only 3-5 rounds in the first mag )...

Don't get me wrong, the lying gun salesman exists but...

As for the Walmart stuff, their "Federal" pistol caliber stuff is a special sub-par house brand which can only be bought from Wally World, and it's not reliable. Real Federal ball ammo of all flavors, and American Eagle for that matter, work perfectly in my Jericho - I had 1-2 stovepipes and/or deep "light strikes" per magazine for all 300 rounds I bought from Walmart on sale (cheaper than my wholesale cost on the real stuff). My coworker was laughing "duh, that's not REAL Federal, stupid!" and after a few phone calls I found out he was right. Their Remington UMC rifle ammo is of a different code/batch process too; I've never seen the same marking elsewhere, and experienced a lot of failures with their 300blk in super and sub. Wally stocks a lot of Winchester white-box which is also notoriously garbage; dirty and unreliable but that's par for the course. Don't get me wrong, they have other stuff that's not bad at all - including a great variety of shotgun shells at rock bottom prices, and "real" Remington soft tip ammo for cheap.

I'd like a reliable source to confirm this to be true. Who confirmed that claim with a phone call? Can you really confirm such a claim with a phone call? I was told by many folks here that the claim I was told about Walmart getting end run junk ammo was gun shop owner b.s. And now I'm glad I have a visual representation that gun shop people do say this and it wasn't a one off.

Firstly, I have shot at least 300 winchester white box, it's my personal favorite for .38 SPL rounds. I also bought all said 300 rounds from walmart with not one misfire. I have bought 50 PPU rounds from a gun shop and it was by far the worst rounds i've shot. It ran dirty, had 2 misfires and the casings were a pain to get out as they expanded from having cheap metal.

Some folks swear by PPU. So that's just a proof that you can't simply skew an entire narrative based on your own preference. See that's the problem with at least 80 percent of gun shop folks. They have their own biased to certain brands and things they like or things that run smooth in their guns so all of a sudden it's the golden standard.

Your reasoning seems to be "Walmart ones gave a few stovepipes and the gun shop ones didn't". Which is what everyone says when they try to confirm the walmart getting bad ammo claim. But ammo is unpredictable in nature to begin with. Some runs are better than others. I have gone through a few hundred winchester .38 rounds from walmart, dozens of federal buckshot, with not one misfire (knock on wood) and have had a few dozen misfires of CCI from a gun range. Could simply be your Jericho is fussy with certain ammo like most guns are.

But that's no reason to actually distort a narrative that walmart isn't quality to pursuade purchases. And even if you can actually prove ONE type of ammo out of the hundreds that they sell, is exclusive to walmart in bulk boxes with most likely a different label that is inferior to gun shop federals. That's not the narrative of walmart getting junk ammo across the board. And you can easily by the standard federal gold medals that the gun shops get because I have before.

I just can't really believe the statement, It'd be like a car salesman telling you the other guy's cars break. It's just too easy to say the cheaper guy has worst stuff. But I'm definitely open minded if you have good evidence to support the claim i'll surely beleive it.

i'm throwing some hate at you right now, nick. [laugh]

seriously, no one bothers me any more but i think if i were forced to make a comment i would ask people to buy a spotting scope. that burns my ass when guys call a cease fire after every 5 rounds so they can walk halfway down range to peer in at their target. i know you've all encountered them if you spend any time at the range...hunting season is the worst, those sight ins don't you know.
I've had a couple of times where a group testing turkey loads would shoot one round and then have to stand down range talking about their targets for the next 5 minutes before coming back, taking forever to get their ear protection on so everyone else could shoot and then do the same thing again before anyone else could barely get any shooting done.

I feel like these are more range gripes:

The mussler is the worst. I've gotten muzzled by yahoo's at the range in the stall next to me and by people who without warning or socialization "let me show you MY gun". The thought of being shot accidentally in the ass with some a$$hats Shield or XD loaded with the cheapest FMJ is a horror.

The looky loo/ let me try'r
If someone asks about a gun I am shooting I have no problem letting them handle it, and if I know them and I am not in the middle of something, I will almost always offer to try it out if they want. The only time this sort of pissed me off is when I was shooting a new revolver and had an open bin of about 200 rounds Blazer brass of .38 special and full box of .357 Magnum Gold Dots . A dude (who btw owns a gun shop) came by and started chatting me up about it. After about 5 minutes he asked if he could give it a try. I said ok. I didn't notice loaded up 7 gold dots and then rattled them off as fast as he could pull the trigger. Eight dollars down the drain. Thanks buddy. [slap]

The guy who rapid-fires and cant hit anything except the ceiling and the target carriage/rails is no fun.
You wonder can he not hear the bullets zinging off metal, or does he just not care?

In terms of gun owner stereotypes:
I get annoyed with people (i know) that own guns but barely ever shoot them and don't know how to maintain them. I have a buddy who has an 870 that he uses for "home defense" but has literally never shot the thing. It drives me insane. The concept that simply possessing a firearm is is good enough is crazy and dangerous.

Probably the worst of all is the "I am a hunter and own a rifle, but gun control" Fudd.

Last edited:
The gun owner that selectively believes some individuals rights are disposable while other Indivual rights, gun ownership, are critical. Maybe that’s a Fudd, or a Fudd offshoot?

I've had a couple of times where a group testing turkey loads would shoot one round and then have to stand down range talking about their targets for the next 5 minutes before coming back, taking forever to get their ear protection on so everyone else could shoot and then do the same thing again before anyone else could barely get any shooting done.
That's why I bought my own cheap metal target holder to use on the trap range to pattern turkey loads. That way I don't hold everyone else up on the rifle range.

I think the courtesy of shooting someone else’s gun and then letting them shoot your guns is part of what grows the gun community.

The exchanging money for rounds part is tacky and cheap 99.99% of the time.

Try a mag on mine and offer to try a mag on yours is a great philosophy.

Be safe, have fun, and the girl in the OP’s post is 100% not guilty.

You missed the brass rat, the guy who grabs up your once fired 338-378 Weatherby brass while it still spinning on the bench and has to toss it hand to hand cause it's too hot to hold. D, all the above, but I hate the brass rat worst of all.

I'd like a reliable source to confirm this to be true. Who confirmed that claim with a phone call? Can you really confirm such a claim with a phone call?

I was told by many folks here that the claim I was told about Walmart getting end run junk ammo was gun shop owner b.s. And now I'm glad I have a visual representation that gun shop people do say this and it wasn't a one off.

I made the call. You call Federal and ask about their "Champion" line and they'll give you a sales-pitch synopsis with words like "value" and "economical" and it boils down to "it's our budget crap and is of poor quality compared to regular Federal ammo". Then you read off the barcode to order some from a distributor you'll get that the box was sold at Walmart because they get their own flavor of "Champion" which is boxed just for Walmart. That's not unique; check out a Pioneer stereo model number at Best Buy, or an Acer laptop - Walmart gets their own identical-looking but internally different version with a slightly different UPC code and model number.

I didn't say anything about "end-run junk". You'll note that I myself buy ammo at Walmart, and they stock some good brands too. I've even sent customers TO Walmart. I've never told customers not to buy ammo at Walmart, other than their B.S. flavor of Federal, and even then only because they've said "I bought a gun from you and it worked fine with the ammo you sold me, but not with the same brand when I bought it from Walmart". No lying or salesmanship involved. Don't put words in my mouth.

Firstly, I have shot at least 300 winchester white box, it's my personal favorite for .38 SPL rounds. I also bought all said 300 rounds from walmart with not one misfire. I have bought 50 PPU rounds from a gun shop and it was by far the worst rounds i've shot. It ran dirty, had 2 misfires and the casings were a pain to get out as they expanded from having cheap metal.

Some folks swear by PPU. So that's just a proof that you can't simply skew an entire narrative based on your own preference. See that's the problem with at least 80 percent of gun shop folks. They have their own biased to certain brands and things they like or things that run smooth in their guns so all of a sudden it's the golden standard

A quick google search will tell you that Winchester white-box is one of the more hated pistol ammo lines out there, Federal Champion (especially Walmart runs) isn't much loved either. OK - that's everyone's own narrative based on their experience, fine, but you don't tend to see people lining up in the same numbers to share that narrative for other brands, so why do so many people have that experience? Other than a light strike (uncommon with revolvers) or a squib/hangfire/etc what could possibly go wrong in your .38spl? It's not going to stovepipe because it doesn't eject. It's not going to jam unless you've got a serious issue with overall length because you're manually cycling the cylinder and hammer. Why are their piles of youtubers, reviewers, etc taking time out of their day to complain about Federal Champion and Winchester white-box?

Your reasoning seems to be "Walmart ones gave a few stovepipes and the gun shop ones didn't". Which is what everyone says when they try to confirm the walmart getting bad ammo claim. But ammo is unpredictable in nature to begin with. Some runs are better than others. I have gone through a few hundred winchester .38 rounds from walmart, dozens of federal buckshot, with not one misfire (knock on wood) and have had a few dozen misfires of CCI from a gun range. Could simply be your Jericho is fussy with certain ammo like most guns are.

Nope. My Jericho consistently feeds 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, supersonic, subsonic, nearly every brand it's ever touched without issue over tens of thousands of rounds. It eats many flavors of steel case without complaint. I've even put cheap commercial reloads through it, no problem. Never had a light strike before - EVER - and with the Champion crap they were very deep strikes that just didn't pop. I've rarely had any kind of issue with that pistol running trash which is one of the reasons I love it.

My claim is based on the specific brand, the very common experience with the brand, and their own admission that it's cheap crap. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm happy to buy other brands at Walmart, and I do. I've never told a customer not to buy ammo at Walmart, except in cases where they were questioning why their gun suddenly stopped working almost entirely with what seems to be the same brand of ammo.

But that's no reason to actually distort a narrative that walmart isn't quality to pursuade purchases. And even if you can actually prove ONE type of ammo out of the hundreds that they sell, is exclusive to walmart in bulk boxes with most likely a different label that is inferior to gun shop federals. That's not the narrative of walmart getting junk ammo across the board. And you can easily by the standard federal gold medals that the gun shops get because I have before.

At least two of them are - their Federal Champ and some calibers their Rem UMC. And they're seemingly inferior to similar products from the same brand (or the same product with a different barcode). As stated in my last post, that's not an indictment of all or most Walmart ammo, just the stuff that I've experienced to suck, the internet has experienced to suck, my customers claim sucks, and the company admits suck. Reread my post; I'm not saying "LGS ammo is better" or perpetuating an "all Wally World ammo is worse" narrative, just stating that Walmart gets a reputation based on a few of their brands/lines which are questionable and in some cases unique to the store. That's restated by shooters and sales people alike.

I just can't really believe the statement, It'd be like a car salesman telling you the other guy's cars break. It's just too easy to say the cheaper guy has worst stuff. But I'm definitely open minded if you have good evidence to support the claim i'll surely beleive it.

Guy - you're really missing it here. It's more like a car salesman saying "keep buying cars from the other dealership, they have great prices, but don't buy a 2008 F-350 they have bad motors". And based on common experiences, and the admission of the manufacturer, that isn't wrong. If you want the story on Walmart Federal Champion and have the common sense to read between the lines on sales pitch (it seems you're innately critical of salespeople already, which ain't a bad thing) give a call to Federal and ask about their product

Dr. Grant nailed it. There's nothing to be gained for an LGS to exclude low-end product from their store; the ones who do cost themselves sales (and sustainability as a business) because there's a market for the whole range of qualities and price points.

I'd just add that, the only time to stop selling cheap crap is when the cheap crap hurts your reputation or results in costs that exceed the profits - e.g. the case of the Charter .38s which couldn't hold together through 100rd. Walmart doesn't have that problem due to the diversity of their products, and the size of their holdings - they also flatly don't take returns on ammunition for any reason. So they can experiment with product that doesn't work as well, even contract for exclusivity to products that don't work as well, because their reputation can't really get any worse and they have a large customer base.

I agree - gun shop sales people sometimes lie. Salespeople of all fields sometimes lie. Probably more than non-sales-people. I just take issue with your examples, because those aren't really lies - Walmart sells a good bit of inferior ammo, and Taurus has a lot of recalls (at one point nearly a decade worth of their semi autos, and it took a decade long class action suit to get them to honor their warranty and do the recall) and tends to make an inferior product.

Last edited:
As we all know, we come accross many gun lovers in our travels. And some certainly fit a stereotype in the community. And many of these stereotypes listed below are very annoying and some aren't. Which one of these listed is the worst and is their any not listed that you want to add? :)

THE RAPID FIRE GUY (RAMBO)

tenor.gif

This is the guy at the range that can't go two magazines without rapid firing 10 rounds per second and blowing everything to shreds. His groupings tend to look like a proactive commerical and he is really only at the range to go full out rambo and has seen too many movies.

(I think we are all this guy every now and again :) )

The "22 is a girl's round" guy

fOkO8M.gif

You just got a fun new .22 for the range, and you go to show it to your friend who typically lacks knowledge in guns to begin with and he says something along the lines of "It's a good squirrel gun" or "Maybe you should have checked the men's section" Or something just idiotic. This guy won't buy a pistol unless it's some sort of .500 magnum buffalo thumper from satan's sock drawer. These people are often extremely insecure or paranoid, one or the other.

The Range Nazi

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, RSOs, have an extremely hard and important job. And lives of everyone on the range lies in their hands. So I very much so understand the importance. But their is always a range nazi. The "You just wiped a sweat bead off of your left cheek, wiping a sweat bead off of your left cheek calls for a seize fire" "No Full Auto!!" "No Shotguns allowed" "Only 1 gun on the table at a time, hold your arms at a 60 degrees angle facing 12 o clock" A good RSO and a range Nazi are too different breeds. If noone is in danger, and the person is following the responsible gun ettiquite, then leave them alone and let them enjoy their time.

A lot of people get thrown off their focus by having some breathing down their neck every 3 seconds. And in all honesty it just makes people nervous which makes people more likely to make a mistake in the first place. I just wish a lot of RSOs would be less overbearing. And "No full auto" is one of the more idiotic things some RSOs impliment. Might as well say "Don't drive this fast car fast on a racetrack" It's a GUN RANGE.

THE AWFUL MUZZLE DISCIPLINE GUY

giphy.gif

This one is pretty common unfortunately, and we encounter them more often then we ever should, I think a human at 5 years old should know not to point guns at someone but apperantly grown adults don't realize this. I've even been swept by gun owners and real experts in the field.

THE LIBERAL GUN OWNER (Conservative possessed)

anigif_enhanced-19295-1408403208-5.gif

The guy or gal that owns guns, but deems certain guns as the boogie man and pushes for gun legislation. A conservative trapped in a liberal body. One of the sadder sights we may encounter. Someone half of the way there but not truly grasping the point of guns and the 2nd.

Typically says things like "I think we should have guns and I agree with the second, just not assault weapons, their is no reason we need those" and "AR-15s are for murder, hunting rifles and pistols should be allowed to protect yourself or hunt but nobody needs assault weapons" and other liberal bullshit. They typically carry a little pistol and some bear spray in their purse or fanny pack.

THE 'CAN I TRY IT OUT" GUY

giphy.gif

This is the guy at the range that barely brings any ammo of his own because he knows he's going to spend his own time going from lane to lane leaning over your shoulder. He'll always start with "Is that the ____" even though he already knows damn well. Than he'll either make you feel bad with a good 5 minutes of "I always wanted to try one out, I never shot one before" Until you let him get a go at it. Or he'll outright say "Can I try it out real quick?" Than before you know it you get your gun back and half your federals are gone and he's on to the next lane. Before it's all over everyone's low on bullets and he had his fun for the day without wasting his own ammo.

The "Unwanted advice" guy.

qNlQ81L.gif

When you go to the range, may times you go to get away. Just to be in your zone, focus on your own frame of mind and work on your groupings and enjoy what you love. But combined with the range nazi and the "can I try it guy" you might also encoutner the Gun Guru, giving advice where you didn't ask for it. Going lane to lane like Clint Eastwood telling you everything you're doing wrong as if he's a tutor.

"A little left" "Up a little more" "You're pulling the trigger too slow" Like get out of my ear. You are the reason, not any other nuance. :D

The "harass the hot girl" guy.

tenor.gif

Essentially the unwanted advice guy, but with a intent to flirt with a hot girl who isn't there to be flirted with for no other reason than to try to get with her. Someone who is probably married, or at the very least trying to enjoy her time at the range without getting encountered by the typical thirsty ego maniac on a power trip.

The worst part about this guy is they use the damzel in distress tactic, and often try to pretend like the girl needs help because "she's a girl, what could she know about guns... duhhh" when half the time she is a better shot than him. He'll often say things like "You need help, I can tutor you" I have actually seen this happen once. You could cut the awkwardness with a knife. The girl clearly just wanted what everyone wants at the range and couldn't get through one mag without being critiqued or flirted with.

This is mostly why girl's are hesitant to go to the range by themselves and why they have ladies night at most ranges. It's kinda sad it'd have to come to that.

THE LYING GUN SALESMEN

giphy.gif

Any gun shop owner who is reputable avoids such tactics, and it took me a bit to find my favorite place where this never happens. But i've seen my fair share of white lies as i've mentioned before.

The lying gun salesmen will try to divert you into spending more money by diverting you away from cheaper things with white lies.

"Walmart gets end run rounds, they are more likely to hang fire or stovepipe" just so you buy the rounds from them.

"The Taurus guns have been recalled and have been having quality control issues" So that you spend 600 on a more expensive gun.

And many other types of gun shop hijinks :)

THE "CALL OF DUTY" GUY

giphy.gif

This guy has the thousand yard stare, he was in the thick of the shit for too long. Hes seen so many of his online buddies perish in the digital warfare. All he wants when he comes into a gun shop is to get the gun he used in Call of Duty. He'll probably say so and lose respect from the gun shop owner.

Not a bad person by any means, I love call of duty too, but It really should be left out of big boy gun discussions as it's a unrealistic video game and this is real life.

That's all I can come up with for now. I know their are many more. :D

What are some stereotypical gun people that you dislike?

Entertaining, true, even visual aids. Thanks

I made the call. You call Federal and ask about their "Champion" line and they'll give you a sales-pitch synopsis with words like "value" and "economical" and it boils down to "it's our budget crap and is of poor quality compared to regular Federal ammo". Then you read off the barcode to order some from a distributor you'll get that the box was sold at Walmart because they get their own flavor of "Champion" which is boxed just for Walmart. That's not unique; check out a Pioneer stereo model number at Best Buy, or an Acer laptop - Walmart gets their own identical-looking but internally different version with a slightly different UPC code and model number.

I didn't say anything about "end-run junk". You'll note that I myself buy ammo at Walmart, and they stock some good brands too. I've even sent customers TO Walmart. I've never told customers not to buy ammo at Walmart, other than their B.S. flavor of Federal, and even then only because they've said "I bought a gun from you and it worked fine with the ammo you sold me, but not with the same brand when I bought it from Walmart". No lying or salesmanship involved. Don't put words in my mouth.

A quick google search will tell you that Winchester white-box is one of the more hated pistol ammo lines out there, Federal Champion (especially Walmart runs) isn't much loved either. OK - that's everyone's own narrative based on their experience, fine, but you don't tend to see people lining up in the same numbers to share that narrative for other brands, so why do so many people have that experience? Other than a light strike (uncommon with revolvers) or a squib/hangfire/etc what could possibly go wrong in your .38spl? It's not going to stovepipe because it doesn't eject. It's not going to jam unless you've got a serious issue with overall length because you're manually cycling the cylinder and hammer. Why are their piles of youtubers, reviewers, etc taking time out of their day to complain about Federal Champion and Winchester white-box?

Nope. My Jericho consistently feeds 115gr, 124gr, 147gr, supersonic, subsonic, nearly every brand it's ever touched without issue over tens of thousands of rounds. It eats many flavors of steel case without complaint. I've even put cheap commercial reloads through it, no problem. Never had a light strike before - EVER - and with the Champion crap they were very deep strikes that just didn't pop. I've rarely had any kind of issue with that pistol running trash which is one of the reasons I love it.

My claim is based on the specific brand, the very common experience with the brand, and their own admission that it's cheap crap. Don't put words in my mouth. I'm happy to buy other brands at Walmart, and I do. I've never told a customer not to buy ammo at Walmart, except in cases where they were questioning why their gun suddenly stopped working almost entirely with what seems to be the same brand of ammo.

At least two of them are - their Federal Champ and some calibers their Rem UMC. And they're seemingly inferior to similar products from the same brand (or the same product with a different barcode). As stated in my last post, that's not an indictment of all or most Walmart ammo, just the stuff that I've experienced to suck, the internet has experienced to suck, my customers claim sucks, and the company admits suck. Reread my post; I'm not saying "LGS ammo is better" or perpetuating an "all Wally World ammo is worse" narrative, just stating that Walmart gets a reputation based on a few of their brands/lines which are questionable and in some cases unique to the store. That's restated by shooters and sales people alike.

Guy - you're really missing it here. It's more like a car salesman saying "keep buying cars from the other dealership, they have great prices, but don't buy a 2008 F-350 they have bad motors". And based on common experiences, and the admission of the manufacturer, that isn't wrong. If you want the story on Walmart Federal Champion and have the common sense to read between the lines on sales pitch (it seems you're innately critical of salespeople already, which ain't a bad thing) give a call to Federal and ask about their product

Dr. Grant nailed it. There's nothing to be gained for an LGS to exclude low-end product from their store; the ones who do cost themselves sales (and sustainability as a business) because there's a market for the whole range of qualities and price points.

I'd just add that, the only time to stop selling cheap crap is when the cheap crap hurts your reputation or results in costs that exceed the profits - e.g. the case of the Charter .38s which couldn't hold together through 100rd. Walmart doesn't have that problem due to the diversity of their products, and the size of their holdings - they also flatly don't take returns on ammunition for any reason. So they can experiment with product that doesn't work as well, even contract for exclusivity to products that don't work as well, because their reputation can't really get any worse and they have a large customer base.

I agree - gun shop sales people sometimes lie. Salespeople of all fields sometimes lie. Probably more than non-sales-people. I just take issue with your examples, because those aren't really lies - Walmart sells a good bit of inferior ammo, and Taurus has a lot of recalls (at one point nearly a decade worth of their semi autos, and it took a decade long class action suit to get them to honor their warranty and do the recall) and tends to make an inferior product.

We are talking about quite different things then. You are saying Walmart gets one type of ammo from one brand that happens to be of lesser quality. That's a huge far cry from saying "Walmart gets end run rounds and are inferior and prone to malfunction" across the board. That's just bullshit gun shop stuff. And even with the champion stuff, your only reasoning so far for why walmart got an inferior batch of champion is that the federal employee over the phone told you it's "value" and you interpreted it in your own way and you checked the barcode and noticed it's a special barcode that's slightly different. Not much to go on there.

As for Walmart getting cheaper electronics with cheaper internals with the same looking exterior. You are basing that off of their special barcode? I think that's some lochness monster stuff my friend. :)

Could be just that champion is a crappier round in general, they also sell standard Federal gold medal stuff at Walmart. They also sell dozens of other ammos. So all i'm saying is to say all their rounds are of inferior quality over 1 or 2 types is lying to a consumer. I think you'd agree to that.

We are talking about quite different things then. You are saying Walmart gets one type of ammo from one brand that happens to be of lesser quality. That's a huge far cry from saying "Walmart gets end run rounds and are inferior and prone to malfunction" across the board. That's just bullshit gun shop stuff. And even with the champion stuff, your only reasoning so far for why walmart got an inferior batch of champion is that the federal employee over the phone told you it's "value" and you interpreted it in your own way and you checked the barcode and noticed it's a special barcode that's slightly different. Not much to go on there.

I'm basing that off my experience with the ammo, the customers experiences with the ammo, and the fact that other Federal pistol ammo is exceptionally reliable. As for the "end-run" aspect I can't say for sure, so I really can't say. It would stand to reason, however.

Most (but not all) "match grade" ammo is essentially hand-selected ammo - it costs more because it has been identified by batch through test firing, not because of any special features. So when each batch of ammo is tested for reliability, consistency and accuracy, the best performers are set aside for further competition like the brackets in a sports tournament. Similarly, the lowest graded ammo is set aside for retesting to see if it fails or comes close to failing. So one big commercial factory line making ammo of one caliber to one standard, using the same components, typically ends up with four levels of quality based on batch testing: the highest, the middle, the lowest, and the failures. They're all the same components but end up marketed in 3 different boxes as 3 different grades; match, standard, and a budget label - of course the failures are scrapped.

Based on the fact that some of the brass case "Champion" had unique headstamps where other were just marked L.C. or Fed, and the "FMJ" marked Champion boxes I got actually contain TMJ bullets (where the Gold, Premium Ball and American Eagle are true FMJ), it would seem that they're being made on their own production line with unique components but non-uniform components. It's either going pass/fail, or getting separate SKUs for different retailers, which usually implies different cost and different QC standards for different contracts.

As for Walmart getting cheaper electronics with cheaper internals with the same looking exterior. You are basing that off of their special barcode? I think that's some lochness monster stuff my friend. :)

Not "loch ness monster" stuff at all, and no, not based off the barcode they actually have slightly different model numbers as well. It's a common industry practice to make different-but-similar models for different customers under exclusivity contracts; it prevents them from having to honor price match guarantees, matches their store return policies, and makes for differing pricepoints. So for example an ACER computer sold at Walmart as Model 1A has a lower quality hard drive, RAM or processor, but the only way to distinguish it from the Best Buy version, or the standard version, is to look at the full model number in tiny print (e.g. 1A00234 vs 1A00235 or just 1A) - they're billed as having the same specs, and have identical packaging, but have totally different internal hardware and different, generally lower or higher QC standards according to the contract. This is part of the big box business model and is something Walmart wrote the book on. It's not just stereos and computers, either.

Could be just that champion is a crappier round in general, they also sell standard Federal gold medal stuff at Walmart. They also sell dozens of other ammos. So all i'm saying is to say all their rounds are of inferior quality over 1 or 2 types is lying to a consumer. I think you'd agree to that.

Agreed; it's their budget branding/model. And yes, there's good ammo at Walmart for cheap. I can't get my .300wm soft tips for cheaper anywhere else, including distributors (unless it's by the pallet which is a little expensive). The only cheaper brand, through a wholesaler/distributor is PPU which is good but in my experience slower and not as consistent - for a few bucks a box it's not worth it for me.

The hardcore liberal that claims to be a gun owner because their deceased father left them a shotgun in the will. Meanwhile, they have no ammunition for it (refuses to) and have never fired it. They also spew anti 2A propaganda and when challenged on their blatant ignorance, they have no answers. Wait... that just got personal.

Lol I've used tons of champion and had no problems, then again my stash is still from SandyHookmasterScare
era.

The worst stuff at tramlaw was Perfecta. God that stuff is weak.. but even that is still good enough for general
blasting.

-Mike

This is why I go to the range on weekdays.

Exactly, although my club is rarely crowded. Unless your there on a Saturday or Sunday morning, the likelihood of even encountering anybody else is pretty low. I went this evening and was on the 100 yd rifle range. First hour I was alone, then a guy showed up to shoot pistol on the other side of the place. I waved to him as I left.

That said, even if I rarely actually interact with them, I hate fudds the most. Turncoat retards.

There is a frequent flyer at some of the shops I visit that has been doing this over 10 years. He buys a new gun, shoots it, sucks at shooting it, trades it in, gets something else... and he's still doing it. The one upshot is he leaves a nice trail of barely used guns in his wake on trade ins and consignment racks etc...

-Mike

Ssshhhh, I love that guy!!

I think the courtesy of shooting someone else’s gun and then letting them shoot your guns is part of what grows the gun community.

The exchanging money for rounds part is tacky and cheap 99.99% of the time.

Try a mag on mine and offer to try a mag on yours is a great philosophy.

Be safe, have fun, and the girl in the OP’s post is 100% not guilty.

Agreed in principle. That's how it always works when going with friends. But I've shied away from the rando "what are you shooting" guy at the range beyond exchanging pleasantries. I'm busy practicing and I don't mind someone shooting off a mag of mine, but often I have no interest in their guns. It's never the guy with a custom 1911 or MP5 who offers. It's usually the guy with a Ruger SR, M&P or VP9. Yeah, no thanks.

Back
Top Bottom