Which stereotype gun owner annoys you the most?

As we all know, we come accross many gun lovers in our travels. And some certainly fit a stereotype in the community. And many of these stereotypes listed below are very annoying and some aren't. Which one of these listed is the worst and is their any not listed that you want to add? :)

THE RAPID FIRE GUY (RAMBO)

tenor.gif

This is the guy at the range that can't go two magazines without rapid firing 10 rounds per second and blowing everything to shreds. His groupings tend to look like a proactive commerical and he is really only at the range to go full out rambo and has seen too many movies.

(I think we are all this guy every now and again :) )

The "22 is a girl's round" guy

fOkO8M.gif

You just got a fun new .22 for the range, and you go to show it to your friend who typically lacks knowledge in guns to begin with and he says something along the lines of "It's a good squirrel gun" or "Maybe you should have checked the men's section" Or something just idiotic. This guy won't buy a pistol unless it's some sort of .500 magnum buffalo thumper from satan's sock drawer. These people are often extremely insecure or paranoid, one or the other.

The Range Nazi

giphy.gif

Don't get me wrong, RSOs, have an extremely hard and important job. And lives of everyone on the range lies in their hands. So I very much so understand the importance. But their is always a range nazi. The "You just wiped a sweat bead off of your left cheek, wiping a sweat bead off of your left cheek calls for a seize fire" "No Full Auto!!" "No Shotguns allowed" "Only 1 gun on the table at a time, hold your arms at a 60 degrees angle facing 12 o clock" A good RSO and a range Nazi are too different breeds. If noone is in danger, and the person is following the responsible gun ettiquite, then leave them alone and let them enjoy their time.

A lot of people get thrown off their focus by having some breathing down their neck every 3 seconds. And in all honesty it just makes people nervous which makes people more likely to make a mistake in the first place. I just wish a lot of RSOs would be less overbearing. And "No full auto" is one of the more idiotic things some RSOs impliment. Might as well say "Don't drive this fast car fast on a racetrack" It's a GUN RANGE.

THE AWFUL MUZZLE DISCIPLINE GUY

giphy.gif

This one is pretty common unfortunately, and we encounter them more often then we ever should, I think a human at 5 years old should know not to point guns at someone but apperantly grown adults don't realize this. I've even been swept by gun owners and real experts in the field.

THE LIBERAL GUN OWNER (Conservative possessed)

anigif_enhanced-19295-1408403208-5.gif

The guy or gal that owns guns, but deems certain guns as the boogie man and pushes for gun legislation. A conservative trapped in a liberal body. One of the sadder sights we may encounter. Someone half of the way there but not truly grasping the point of guns and the 2nd.

Typically says things like "I think we should have guns and I agree with the second, just not assault weapons, their is no reason we need those" and "AR-15s are for murder, hunting rifles and pistols should be allowed to protect yourself or hunt but nobody needs assault weapons" and other liberal bullshit. They typically carry a little pistol and some bear spray in their purse or fanny pack.

THE 'CAN I TRY IT OUT" GUY

giphy.gif

This is the guy at the range that barely brings any ammo of his own because he knows he's going to spend his own time going from lane to lane leaning over your shoulder. He'll always start with "Is that the ____" even though he already knows damn well. Than he'll either make you feel bad with a good 5 minutes of "I always wanted to try one out, I never shot one before" Until you let him get a go at it. Or he'll outright say "Can I try it out real quick?" Than before you know it you get your gun back and half your federals are gone and he's on to the next lane. Before it's all over everyone's low on bullets and he had his fun for the day without wasting his own ammo.

The "Unwanted advice" guy.

qNlQ81L.gif

When you go to the range, may times you go to get away. Just to be in your zone, focus on your own frame of mind and work on your groupings and enjoy what you love. But combined with the range nazi and the "can I try it guy" you might also encoutner the Gun Guru, giving advice where you didn't ask for it. Going lane to lane like Clint Eastwood telling you everything you're doing wrong as if he's a tutor.

"A little left" "Up a little more" "You're pulling the trigger too slow" Like get out of my ear. You are the reason, not any other nuance. :D

The "harass the hot girl" guy.

tenor.gif

Essentially the unwanted advice guy, but with a intent to flirt with a hot girl who isn't there to be flirted with for no other reason than to try to get with her. Someone who is probably married, or at the very least trying to enjoy her time at the range without getting encountered by the typical thirsty ego maniac on a power trip.

The worst part about this guy is they use the damzel in distress tactic, and often try to pretend like the girl needs help because "she's a girl, what could she know about guns... duhhh" when half the time she is a better shot than him. He'll often say things like "You need help, I can tutor you" I have actually seen this happen once. You could cut the awkwardness with a knife. The girl clearly just wanted what everyone wants at the range and couldn't get through one mag without being critiqued or flirted with.

This is mostly why girl's are hesitant to go to the range by themselves and why they have ladies night at most ranges. It's kinda sad it'd have to come to that.

THE LYING GUN SALESMEN

giphy.gif

Any gun shop owner who is reputable avoids such tactics, and it took me a bit to find my favorite place where this never happens. But i've seen my fair share of white lies as i've mentioned before.

The lying gun salesmen will try to divert you into spending more money by diverting you away from cheaper things with white lies.

"Walmart gets end run rounds, they are more likely to hang fire or stovepipe" just so you buy the rounds from them.

"The Taurus guns have been recalled and have been having quality control issues" So that you spend 600 on a more expensive gun.

And many other types of gun shop hijinks :)

THE "CALL OF DUTY" GUY

giphy.gif

This guy has the thousand yard stare, he was in the thick of the shit for too long. Hes seen so many of his online buddies perish in the digital warfare. All he wants when he comes into a gun shop is to get the gun he used in Call of Duty. He'll probably say so and lose respect from the gun shop owner.

Not a bad person by any means, I love call of duty too, but It really should be left out of big boy gun discussions as it's a unrealistic video game and this is real life.

That's all I can come up with for now. I know their are many more. :D

What are some stereotypical gun people that you dislike?

Last edited:
Well done, LOL!

My only real peeve is when a-holes commit blatantly unsafe acts such as shooting rocks, shooting up in the air, etc. I'm OK with Rambo types so long as they don't start 'operating' downrange while I'm still shooting from the firing line (happened). I also have a problem with Rambo types who can't keep their shots within the target frames because I'm one the of guys who replaces the shredded frames. All the other types I ignore.

Not going to lie, Ive squeezed off a few rounds off a few really cool and uncommon guns at the range by asking, and thats not the problem- its the people who dont offer to pay for the ammo they just burned.

I always got spare cash in my pocket at the range and if something cool comes up (full auto for instance) I always offer to pay for any ammo I might have used.

The guy that's shooting 1/4" steel poppers with a .357 mag. We asked the dick to push them back to at least 20 yards, he basically told us to f*** off.

^ Don't be that guy

How about the paranoid guy? More than one I've met, I'm obviously into guns and have the same hobby as they do. Me "Oh, what do you have for guns?"(obviously not expecting a full list here) "not enough" more than once was the answer. Well shit, me neither, but what do you have and like without me having to pull teeth?

Not going to lie, Ive squeezed off a few rounds off a few really cool and uncommon guns at the range by asking, and thats not the problem- its the people who dont offer to pay for the ammo they just burned.

I always got spare cash in my pocket at the range and if something cool comes up (full auto for instance) I always offer to pay for any ammo I might have used.

You just won a place in my memory banks. I went and put a few 20s in my range bag.

I almost never do, but I'm really going to have a hard time not asking to fire anything in 1911 .45, .308 or 6.5 creedmor.

I haven't shot a 1911 more than once 15 years ago, and I've literally been dreaming about them. But I have my waking brain convinced I need to acquire a good hunting rifle first..

Worst range trip I ever had, some family was to my left.. grandad, dad and two kids.. kids were good and trying to listen and learn. Parental units were flat out limp brain turds.

Kid has a malf with a .22LR rifle ( something semi auto, I don't think it was a 10-22, but one of the two rifles may have been. They we're switching off.) He tries to clear it.. no help or attention from Dad.

I start paying attention and counting shots..not two mags later..9 shots. Pulls trigger a tenth time and no bang. Does not check chamber. Does not drop mag. Grabs the rifle and turns it SIDEWAYS to put the muzzel parallel with the shooting bench, sweaping my hands in the process.
I yell out, and dive back from the line, setting down my pistol. And the dad and grampa brush it off like nothing.

As the dad who picked up the rifle is yapping at me for yelling, the rifle in his hand goes bang. Yay. Hangfire. No big deal right. Woot.

I felt sorry for the kids. They were trying to be careful, but there was zero training going on. Sad bit is, the kid was a damn good shot at 10-11 years old.

The liberal gun owner hands down. The "but" in any of their sentences gives them away as one who should be dirt napping.....permanently.

That's great.

And how many times were you ever taken up on your cash offer firing a fullauto? I'll bet few or none.

I've let people burn through thousands of rounds of ammo on the range over the years and never asked for or expected any remuneration. Ive refused it every time. I've never accepted a dime from anyone firing my machine guns and never saw anyone else do it other than people (07 SOTs with post samples) who were renting guns on the range at a shoot.

I consider it a donation to the cause.

FUDDS.

Stopped shooting at my club’s outdoor range on Sunday’s because of them. More of a FUDD/RSO wannabe mix who despise black gun guys.

The guy who freaks at the AR leaning against the wall. The guy who insists a pistol has empty mag removed and slide locked open before you hand it to them only to let it slam closed on an empty chamber. They guy who thinks any gun not locked away in a safe is considered unsafe storage. The guy who thinks just because someone gets jacked up on crapass gun charges there has to be more to the story. The guy who thinks hes a law abiding citizen and nothing will ever legally bad ever happen to him. In other words at least a few residents here...

All of the above plus the ones that have owned guns for about a year lecturing guys who have been shooting since before their Mom met their Dad .
And the one's who think if they don't have the skill to do something with a gun no one can.

That's great.

And how many times were you ever taken up on your cash offer firing a fullauto? I'll bet few or none.

Not once.

I mag dumped a P90- knew that wasn't cheap, offered up 40 bucks- refused. Plunked down a fiver for a shot on a Barrett way back- denied. Full clip in a Garand- nope. I don't really have much cool to reciprocate the love, but I like to think I paid it back when I picked up a grandfather and his teenage grandson at a reenactment and brought them out to the range with my kit and let grandpa teach the kid how to shoot my m1 carbine for an hour- I supplied a field bag, jacket, belt and helmet for the course.

It inspired me to start a collection of shootable war gats to use as a experiential teaching tool. I might not be able to have a stream of vets, but I currently have a Brown Bess, M1903 and Shtle, M1 Carbine, working on a Garand, and a rebuilt m16a2. Next year I plan on adding a trap door, Winchester, and one other.

Last edited:
I hate the over weight by 100lbs guys that can't make up their mind on which firearm is their favorite so they just keep buying and buying and buying to find the holy grail of a gun that even if they do find it, they won't know it if it hit them in the face. They are too fat to be any kind of tactical, so any type of real world training is useless. In a real world SHTF situation, they have to lift their gut up out of the way so they draw their sidepiece that their paper targets have kept them so well trained for. They bench rest shoot because they cant handle standing up in a still position for more than 30 seconds because of their knees. Thats all they are good for, punching holes in paper. My god, I just described myself. I hate myself. Im going to bed.

I hate the over weight by 100lbs guys that can't make up their mind on which firearm is their favorite so they just keep buying and buying and buying to find the holy grail of a gun that even if they do find it, they won't know it if it hit them in the face. They are too fat to be any kind of tactical, so any type of real world training is useless. In a real world SHTF situation, they have to lift their gut up out of the way so they draw their sidepiece that their paper targets have kept them so well trained for. They bench rest shoot because they cant handle standing up in a still position for more than 30 seconds because of their knees. Thats all they are good for, punching holes in paper. My god, I just described myself. I hate myself. Im going to bed.

A lot of people go through this phase though. I did when I was a lot less fat, lol. Most people trend to be gear queers vs trying to improve their skills and only focusing on
shit that helps them shoot better. Some of it is just people wanting new shiny things. At least when I buy some random gun now I don't ever think it will make me a
better shooter.

-Mike

THE LYING GUN SALESMEN

The lying gun salesmen will try to divert you into spending more money by diverting you away from cheaper things with white lies.

"Walmart gets end run rounds, they are more likely to hang fire or stovepipe" just so you buy the rounds from them.

"The Taurus guns have been recalled and have been having quality control issues" So that you spend 600 on a more expensive gun.

Don't get me wrong, the lying gun salesman exists but...

I've lived through many Taurus recalls, and there were both Taurus and (newer) Charter models that we had like a 75% return rate on (quite literally - as a rule, we didn't take returns) and subsequently stopped carrying. The comparable S&Ws cost about $100 more and never saw one come back; never had anyone come back to complain other than that the new triggers weren't as nice as the old ones. For the cost of a few boxes of ammo, I can't see buying a questionable carry weapon. Even a plinker, if it's not a curiosity or collectable/investment, loses marginal usefulness if it's not reliable.

As for the Walmart stuff, their "Federal" pistol caliber stuff is a special sub-par house brand which can only be bought from Wally World, and it's not reliable. Real Federal ball ammo of all flavors, and American Eagle for that matter, work perfectly in my Jericho - I had 1-2 stovepipes and/or deep "light strikes" per magazine for all 300 rounds I bought from Walmart on sale (cheaper than my wholesale cost on the real stuff). My coworker was laughing "duh, that's not REAL Federal, stupid!" and after a few phone calls I found out he was right. Their Remington UMC rifle ammo is of a different code/batch process too; I've never seen the same marking elsewhere, and experienced a lot of failures with their 300blk in super and sub. Wally stocks a lot of Winchester white-box which is also notoriously garbage; dirty and unreliable but that's par for the course. Don't get me wrong, they have other stuff that's not bad at all - including a great variety of shotgun shells at rock bottom prices, and "real" Remington soft tip ammo for cheap.

I'm the first person to tell people to pick something up elsewhere if they find a better price, or if we really can't compete on a whole line of products. I'm not knocking the concept, just the examples. I get it - I've been told by a salesman that a gun was "pulled from the EOPS roster" to try to make a sale, and recently by a distributor that a rifle was "really hard to get, and selling like hotcakes" despite there being a few hundred in stock at another (and one dusty the rack behind me). There's scummy folks out there but those examples ring **WAY** too true to me as being honest warnings not sales routines.

Part of the problem with the gun industry is the market virtually demands that you at least carry some junk in your shop. People are just too flinty and don't want to pay
up. That means having to carry stuff you can make better margins on.

It's part of the reason I never got into the business. Shops that go puritanical rarely survive.

-Mike

How about the guy that shoots 10 rounds and barely hits the target. He then exclaims that there's something wrong with the gun. So you ask to shoot it and you shoot 10 X's.

There is a frequent flyer at some of the shops I visit that has been doing this over 10 years. He buys a new gun, shoots it, sucks at shooting it, trades it in, gets something else... and he's still doing it. The one upshot is he leaves a nice trail of barely used guns in his wake on trade ins and consignment racks etc...

-Mike

How about the guy that shoots 10 rounds and barely hits the target. He then exclaims that there's something wrong with the gun. So you ask to shoot it and you shoot 10 X's.

Oh there's a pile of them in the gun world, no question about it.

Their thinking is very much on par with those who blame the gun itself for crimes committed with them.

Other similar type is the one who takes out one of two revolvers he bought forty years ago, along with the box of ammo he bought with it, shoots six rounds packs it up and then leaves his gear on the table occupying a firing point for the next three hours on a busy range.

The other more similar type is the guy who sucks at marksmanship all around, rarely practices, frequently buys a gun then puts $1500 worth of custom work into it, rarely fires it because then it's too "pretty" and wonders why his skill has never improved.

Slight variation, but how about "do as I say, not as I do" guy ? Digs through his bag at the bench during every cease fire *but* goes full chief range officer when he perceives someone else has committed an infraction.

Back
Top Bottom