• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which states are gun friendly and accept Honorable and General under Honorable condition discharges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Guys. New member back here again still trying to gain some knowledge. Do you guys know which states are gun friendly and have “stand your ground laws?”. Also do you guys know and states that accept both Honorable and (General under Honorable conditions) discharges that allows you to get a pistol license or any other gun license automatically. I remember looking up online of states that allows both of these rights but I forgot the name of the state. Thought I ask you guys. You guys probably have some updated info I don’t know about.

Why are you hung up on this? Go to a state that's CC and they won't care about your honorable discharge. There are quite a few out there like New Hampshire for example.

Generally, states to avoid are: California, Hawaii, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island

See: Concealed carry in the United States - Wikipedia (note that Massachusetts is portrayed slightly inaccurately in this map due to license issuance varying by town rather than by county, since counties don't really mean anything in New England)

Why are you hung up on this? Go to a state that's CC and they won't care about your honorable discharge. There are quite a few out there like New Hampshire for example.
I’m not hung up on it just Incase getting a discharge upgrade doesn’t work I want to make sure I go to the best state the allows you to get a weapon without any trouble and that best fits my circumstances. I want to play it smart. Nothing wrong with that is there? Don’t people on this site try to help other people (especially newbies) on gun laws, how to use a weapon, why types of weapons to use, and pretty much explaining to people the importance of the 2nd amendment.

If it’s not a dishonorable discharge, literally no one gives a shit.
You know I would really like to think that but I’m more of a realist. when they look at the reason for your discharge and the reason stated on your dd214 is not the actual reason for your separation and the reason for your discharge makes you look like some type of criminal and gives off a bad stigma people are gonna be suspicious of you now. some cops are veterans and god forbid you go up against a stuck up supposedly “gun-ho”veteran, they hold that against you. A non veteran cop can look at your dd214 and assume you have a bad past and then you actually might have to explain the situation so they can get a better understanding.

Last edited:
I'm getting really suspicious about these randomly named posters with four number ends. They all attack the purpose of the forum.

I’m not hung up on it just Incase getting a discharge upgrade doesn’t work I want to make sure I go to the best state the allows you to get a weapon without any trouble and that best fits my circumstances. I want to play it smart. Nothing wrong with that is there? Don’t people on this site try to help other people (especially newbies) on gun laws, how to use a weapon, why types of weapons to use, and pretty much explaining to people the importance of the 2nd amendment.

I'm getting really suspicious about these randomly named posters with four number ends. They all attack the purpose of the forum.
What are you talking about I’m not trying to attack anybody. Why would you assume that. how did I become the aggressor in this situation. So what is the purpose of this site if it’s not to help people with what ever issues they have concerning gun ownership, or gun safety, or even if it’s just ranting about certain subjects concerning guns. It’s amazing how asking questions can lead into a situation.

Last edited:
You know I would really like to think that but I’m more of a realist. when they look at the reason for your discharge and the reason stated on your dd214 is not the actual reason for your separation and the reason for your discharge makes you look like some type of criminal and gives off a bad stigma people are gonna be suspicious of you now. some cops are veterans and god forbid you go up against a stuck up supposedly “gun-ho”veteran, they hold that against you. A non veteran cop can look at your dd214 and assume you have a bad past and then you actually might have to explain the situation so they can get a better understanding.

I have never seen anything other than “have you ever been dishonorably discharged?”

No one wants to know anything other than that.

I have never seen anything other than “have you ever been dishonorably discharged?”

No one wants to know anything other than that.
Yes I know I’m just looking for states that accept Honorable and General under Honorable that allows you to purchase a weapon automatically instead of waiting longer. And being in a gun friendly state will make that possibility into a reality. Even regular costumers purchase their permit and get it on the same day in gun tolerated states. I know there’s one that does but I for got the name of the state.

I don't think you can get a CCW permit instantly if you are already in a bad state to begin with.

You first must become a resident of that state and get a drivers license.

Both Maine and NH don't require a permit at all.

Forget NJ and NY. VT is good too but they restrict mag capacity.

Where do you live now? Are you a resident with a drivers license?

You discharge does not matter at all unless it was a dishonorable discharge.

Nobody asks so you should not worry about the honorable or general discharge.

I didn't know your military discharge status bestowed you with extra special gun privileges. Enlighten me.

Yes I know I’m just looking for states that accept Honorable and General under Honorable that allows you to purchase a weapon automatically instead of waiting longer.
There is no such state. That's because states generally don't have anything to do with whether you can or can't purchase a firearm.

If you want a "weapon", you're on your own. And if you keep calling guns "weapons", and keep repeating your same basic question multiple times, I'm starting to understand why you were separated.

I didn't know your military discharge status bestowed you with extra special gun privileges. Enlighten me.
It’s special gun privileges for veteran. If your 21 and over and have a Honorable discharge in some states you can have your licensing fee waived or discounted. Also in states like N.C. You need and Honorable discharge to have a concealed weapon. Some states allow you to skip trading on how to use a gun. In NYC if you are 18 or older with a Honorable discharge you can Possess a gun at a indoor or outdoor range or on premises owned or occupied by a duly incorporated organization organized for conservation purposes or to foster proficiency in small arms. A person between the ages of 18 and 21 may also possess a handgun at a target pistol shooting competition under the auspices of or approved by the NRA and while under immediate supervision).of a or the age requirement doesn’t apply. But even regular people in gun free states get their permit on the same day.

T5W6o93_d.jpg

:emoji_tiger:

The northeast states with licensing are NY, CT, RI, and MA. The others don't concern you if you are not a PP. I suggest you spend some time in the law sections for each state in the forum guide. That will give you an idea for the restrictiveness of a state's laws and you can make your decisions accordingly.

So what state are you in now?
I’m still in NY now trying to get my license here for armed security. In the future when I finish my degree program and have money saved up I plan on moving to a state that’s more accepting when it comes to bearing arms. I wanted to hear the opinions of you gentlemen on this forum on which states would be best for that. that’s all.

The northeast states with licensing are NY, CT, RI, and MA. The others don't concern you if you are not a PP. I suggest you spend some time in the law sections for each state in the forum guide. That will give you an idea for the restrictiveness of a state's laws and you can make your decisions accordingly.
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely do that.

A google search shows lots of information, but you're right, nothing definitive.

E.g.: Are You a Veteran in Need of a Gun/CC Permit? - DD214Direct

A gloss of the other threads indicates that most of the benefits do have language specifically pertaining to 'honorable discharge'. Almost all threads on this topic agree that a General Discharge won't hurt you, but doesn't help you.

I'm assuming you've already started the DD293, but if not, the same google search lead me to:
How To Apply For A Discharge Upgrade | Veterans Affairs

Anyway, if you're looking for a place to move to for these sorts of purposes on general principal, then you're looking for Kansas, Utah, Alaska, and Wyoming. I'd suggest Vermont, NH and Arizona are sliding downhill due to their proximity to leftist bastions.

Any of the states that have 'benefits for veterans' are basically just not charging for something that should be free anyway, right? So, start with the most free places first.

I googled your username. If you're the same person as on hungangels.com, and judging by writing style I'd say you are, I'm guessing you're trolling here.
No not at all and what the the hell is hungangels.com. Also what’s the purpose of googling my username? What were you trying to accomplish? some people on this site need help man. Wonder if your gonna stoop down to doxxing next?

Last edited:
We don't have any.
That sounds to good to be true lol. I gotta look that up.

Edit: just looked it yup. you guys were right you guys have a permitless carry law. You can have a gun with or without a license. that cool.

Last edited:
You try to make peace in forums and the trolls always roll out from under their holes.
just sayin', pretty much all the folks you're accusing as being a "troll" are long time respected forum members. being a newbie here and tossing that out won't endear you to anyone's heart. take a step back and a deep breath. :)

Yes I know I’m just looking for states that accept Honorable and General under Honorable that allows you to purchase a weapon automatically instead of waiting longer. And being in a gun friendly state will make that possibility into a reality. Even regular costumers purchase their permit and get it on the same day in gun tolerated states. I know there’s one that does but I for got the name of the state.
Why should your dd214 allow you to purchase a gun or get a license any faster than someone without a dd214?

Fyi....im not anti military.....im us army retired. I just don't see why a veteran (including myself) should have more benefits than non veterans when it comes to fundamentally recognized rights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom