• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which Shotgun for trap

Ryan137

NES Member
I just joined a range that shoots trap on Sundays. I shot today and it was awesome and now I need to get my own shotgun for it. Would you recomend semi or o/u? Looking to spend around 500-600. Thanks for any help

For that price range you could pick up a nice older Remington 1100 trap model. Hard to find a good O/U for that range. You might stumble across a good deal on axold Browning or beretta but @ 600 hard to do. I would not buy any of the entry level O/U out there. Mossburg stoger ect ect. At least with the 1100 you can recoup a good bit on resale if not all if you decide to go OU or opt out.
Best to try a few guns for a while. I shot club guns for a while before getting a used Browning O/U trap model.
Look real hard and you may stumble across Charles daily miroku Japan manufacture our. These are basically Browning clones built very nice. A lot of the miroku manufactured shotguns are built very well.

Ya saw the conder it was under 400, figured that would be a little too cheap. Ill look around for an 1100

Don't discount a pump gun for trap either. As long as it is not a fixed choke model and has a barrel in the 26+ inch range you can do quite well on the range and for a bit under your budget. But yes if you can get an 1100 remmy for your budget go for it!

Any problems with the silver reserve? Saw one at a store but read a few things online about there being problems with them

I shoot trap with a Mossberg 590 that I put a 28" 500 barrel on. Pump guns do just fine, are cheaper and easier to flip (or re-purpose) if you decide its not for you.

Remington 870 trap is a good first choice. Trap guns have a higher comb on the stock typically to shoot higher. A Remington 1100 trap is another good choice but they run used $800-$900.

Sub $1000 Over/Unders are a crapshoot. Mossburg picked a new turkish gun to call 'silver reserve' and I have yet to hold a new model. The older ones had a real problem with barrel regulation, getting both barrels to fire at the same point.

Traps guns are specialized and designed to hit rising targets. Do you want a legitimate trap gun, or are you looking for an overall shotgun to shoot clay pigeons ?

If you want a lot of gun for the money, check out the Lanbers. They used to be sold through CDNN, but are now available at Cabelas. They're a bit out of your price range, but may be worth a look. Hope this helps.

Gun Library: Lanber Sporting 12 Gauge Over/Under ANIB : Cabela's

Pretty much this here. Then, once you get a bit better and more serious, take a look at a Citori.

I used my 870 modified choke for 3 years trying to decide and save for my real "trap gun ". I won several leagues and one club champ with it. Over all shotty you cant beat a 870. I shot skeet and sporting clays with it also. Most used shot gun I have from wing to hoof in the field also....
Your not looking hard enough if you cant find a 1100 for 600.00 or less. 870 trap is a fine gun also. I ended up with a used Browning citori ultra trap. 1500.00 from kittery. Great gun. Every browning I shoulder seems to just shoot well. I'm axlefty also.

I just joined a range that shoots trap on Sundays. I shot today and it was awesome and now I need to get my own shotgun for it. Would you recomend semi or o/u? Looking to spend around 500-600. Thanks for any help

I have both a o/u and a semi that were both had for $650 or less.

I have a beretta 391 trap model with a 30" barrel that was $650. Was my favorite shotgun. Until....

I found an old (1960) Browning superposed broadway lighting trap model for $450 is a shop recently as well. And dear lord it shoots like a dream.

If I could only have one, I would never give up my browning. But, I haven't ever seen other deal like that ever ( I would buy a second one if I did ) the beretta on the other hand is regularly found at under $700 and it much more ergonomically adjustable than the 1100

Mac1911. Brings up a great point about the 870 as well... You could get a VERY nice 870 and have enough money left over for 4 or 5 cases of ammo

Last edited:
Go to your local Club, and shoot a few guns.

Model is less important than fit (physical and mental). I've seen many good scores with the "wrong" gun - because the shooter knows, and trusts the gun.

870, 1100, Mossy, Ithica 37..... It's all the same, if it fits you.

None of the suggestions above are wrong, but the details matter - my kid's 1100 is fine, and we've let many new shooters try it - but I find the comb of the stock 1/8th inch too high - pretty irrelevant, you say, but try it for 100 shots - it adds up.

Ask around at your Club - people are always upgrading, and some actually sell the old ones [shocked]

Relax - it's a game.....most of the time! [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom