• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which Sauer is this?

Boris

Son of Kalashnikov
NES Member
Ok, I don't know anything about Sauers ... I assume that's what it is.

Recently, while roaming the Homeland- Mother museum in Kiev, I came across this part of the exposition. Pavlichenko, one of the famed Soviet female snipers and her side arm: "Zauer" I would presume Sauer. Which one is it, what cal etc?

pav1.jpg~original

pav4.jpg~original

pav5.jpg~original

Tag basically says in Uki: L.M. Pavlichenko - sniper of the 54th rifles regiment. In the battle for Odessa and Sevastopol, she killed 309 enemy soldiers and officers. She was three time wounded. On Oct 25th, 1943 she was made Hero of the Soviet Union.

I guess the interesting part was that as the side arm, she did not carry a Soviet made pistol, a big no no to the propaganda machine, probably not advertised as the fact that some of the Soviet aces fly American and British made airplanes or Soviet snipers using German optics (the photos of that exist, but were never approved for official photo ops) hence, my interest. To this day, the choice of side arm for a sniper is still somewhat personal preference (from what I know) and some may use "antiquated" guns as choice.

Weird looking gun . So you think its a old school sig? Maybe email them asking for info?

Ive read stuff about Russian snipers hating the optics on the mosin since it was much higher mounted that it expose them selfs. Read a story about one sniper that just used the iron sights for that reason. Wouldn't be shocked if that pistol is some thing she picked up off of some one.

M1913 Sauer; made in 7.65 and 6.35mm. Substitute hand gun in WWI, production continued inter war. As you can see it is small in my hand; would be a nice piece for a woman.

Mine is 7.65mm from 1918:

T

Last edited:
M1913 Sauer; made in 7.65 and 6.35mm. Substitute hand gun in WWI, production continued inter war. As you can see it is small in my hand; would be a nice piece for a woman.

wow, that's awesome, thank you for the pics! I wander how she picked this piece in the first place. I'm pretty positive it's a trophy gun, but I have no idea how common they would be to be carried by a German military.

Remember the old saying; the smaller the pistol the higher the rank! Mine is a war time production without an Imperial proof indicating private purchase. The safety was later modified for the export version. Her's does not say 'Germany' indicating export - it would be under on the underside of the barrel in front of the TG. I'm not sure if a Wehrmacht soldier could carry his personal pocket gun in WWII.

T

Remember the old saying; the smaller the pistol the higher the rank! Mine is a war time production without an Imperial proof indicating private purchase. The safety was later modified for the export version. Her's does not say 'Germany' indicating export - it would be under on the underside of the barrel in front of the TG. I'm not sure if a Wehrmacht soldier could carry his personal pocket gun in WWII.

T

I kind of doubt that another military person would carry this, but who knows. Something to keep in mind though, firearms in pre-Soviet era weren't prohibited, so there were some civilian American and probably German guns in the country. The other thing is that any killed civilian or auxiliary could have been searched for trophies.

No way to know for sure but I would guess the gun was a trophy. The 7.65 was a very popular caliber for no-combat German officers. She could have easily picked it up in trade from other soviets, gleamed it after the Soviets over ran some Germans or from one of her kills. Great piece of history. Thanks for showing it.

What majspud said, it's a 1913. 7.65 aka .32 Browning aka .32 ACP was a very popular caliber for sidearms
carried by higher-ups due to being much more compact than 9mm Luger pistols.

Back
Top Bottom