• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which reflex sight for G19 MOS?

PistolShooter

NES Member
Looking for advice on what optic to pick for my G19 MOS. I have a lot of experience with a c-more 8MOA that I have on a 1911 so I have settled on something that is ~6MOA vs 3MOA and most likely a dot vs triangle.

Right now I am close to pulling the trigger on the Vortex Viper for $220 vs an RMR RM02 or RM07 that will be around $5-525. The main purpose of the gun is as a range toy and eventually competition so not as concerned for carry reliability. I have no problem spending money for a good product if it is really superior but figured for $220 and lifetime warranty that I can't really go wrong and could always use it on something else in the future. I also know there are also some others out there that folks talk about on the forum.

What are people using and really liking, and also what have people tried that they will never bother with again?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have used both the Vortex Viper (on my 22/45 Lite) and the RM07 on my G19 MOS. My personal preference is to run the RM07 on all my tactical guns.

I think if you want something the is very rugged and durable if you accidentally dropped it, I'd go with the RM07 than the Viper but also 2x the money.

I opted for a Vortex Viper on my M&P 9. Actually the slide just returned from milling yesterday. Sure it's not as robust as a RMR but like you said the RMR is over 2x the price of the Vortex. I did opt for suppressor height sights as a just in case. Unfortunately I won't be hitting the range til Fri (Apex flat trigger Enroute.) On a side note, since my slide wasn't optic ready I chose to have it milled for the Doctor footprint. Should I not like this particular optic there are a few others that use the same footprint.

The price point of the Venom is appealing and matched with a lifetime guarantee makes it even more appealing.
I may give it a shot for my G17.

Where are you guys getting your slides milled? (this doesn't apply to you MOS folks)

The new rm09 1moa rmr is my fave. I used to have a 6 or 7 moa rmr and I much prefer the rm09. You can turn the brightness way up and the dot doesn't get all huge and distorted making it even faster to get on target. Another benefit of being able to run the rmr near full brightness is that it makes it visible even when using a 800lumen tlr1hl

Last edited:
I decided to go with the RM07 with the 6.25 MOA dot and adjustable brightness. My only problem is the MOS plates for my 19 were all slightly bent so the back end near the rear sight wasn't sitting flush. I was close to bending it back to shape but it snapped. I can't believe (though I can because it is dirt cheap for them to make) that they are a crappy cast part for an optic mount that doesn't get post machined for flatness. I posted a WTB add to see if someone has an 02 plate due to going with a different sight. Until then Glock said 7-10 business days to get me out a new set. I may have to look at machining something myself if one doesn't turn up.

The Vortex says the Venom in 6MOA says is being released in Spring of 17. I didn't wait and bought a Viper as I wanted 6MOA over 3MOA. That said when the Venom 6MOA comes out I am sure I will be ordering one. I do love the Viper but I hate that I have to remove it to change batteries (when the time comes) and had to remove the rear blade to get at the set screws to loosen them before adjusting wind-age and elevation. Who the hell came up with that bloody design???

I have a Leupold Deltapoint Pro on my Glock 34 MOS. I got it because it has a larger screen than the Trijicon RMR, so hopefully less hunting for the dot.

I am interested in hearing whether people have found the dot to be faster or slower from holster to 15 yards

I am normally a G34 Production shooter and I find the red dot slower from the holster. With sights, I start to pick them up early and can fire at close targets as the gun is coming into position. With the dot, I have to get the gun all the way up before I can find the dot and shoot. I'm sure it's just because I'm not familiar with it, after all, I know how fast you open shooters are so obviously red dots can be quite fast.

I went with the Burris FastFire 3 (8 moa) on my G17 MOS and am very happy. The price was right ($200 on Amazon), and it has a full lifetime no BS warranty. The 8moa dot size is perfect on a pistol. I didn't like the fact that the Vortex Viper loads the battery from the bottom. That means it needs to be sighted in every time you change the battery. The DeltaPoint Pro is probably the best out there, but it costs 3 times as much as the Burris FastFire 3 and only has a 2 year warranty on the electronics. Since my gun is pretty much just a range toy I wanted the no BS lifetime warranty because I let lots of other people shoot it. The FastFire was a great dot to buy to test the waters and see if I liked it. Now that I have it, I think I'm going to buy another one to put on my 9mm AR since I only use that indoors at my club at distances of 25 yards or less.

- Cuz.

I am interested in hearing whether people have found the dot to be faster or slower from holster to 15 yards

You and I know that from 10 yards and in, on an open target, point shooting, or at least a natural point of aim / index is used more so than the sights (iron or optic)

From 20 and out, I think we can both agree that an optic will be quicker and/or more accurate than irons.

15 yards give or take, person to person, is where dry fire practice, eye sight differences, and natural ability will determine if iron sights or an optic is faster. I feel that practicing a draw to optic sight acquisition is more important than to iron sight.

I still have not spent any serious time behind an open gun. I have a ghetto fabulous M&P with a slide mounted RMR that I have used in carry optics and open (with a comp and magwell) I have won matches with it (in open), but I truly think I would have won those still had I been shooting limited.

Stupid question.
My slide came back from milling, I had them install Suppressor height sights for me as well. Gonna go break her in at the range soon........but before I go should I co-witness the dot to the iron sights? Or zero is separately? First time user......Since I'm not sure where the suppressor height sights are gonna hit I would think co-witness first then adjust accordingly? New to red dots on pistols

generally i'm not a big fan of burris, but FWIW I am really impressed by my burris fastfire 3. it's been swapped on and off various rifles and one pistol with tons of rounds fired. it holds zero perfectly. sight picture is nice. for the $$ it seems like a very good choice. my only comparison is a trijicon RMR. the trijicon definitely looks like a more rugged build but for the $ and my applications i would go with the burris all day long.

Stupid question.
My slide came back from milling, I had them install Suppressor height sights for me as well. Gonna go break her in at the range soon........but before I go should I co-witness the dot to the iron sights? Or zero is separately? First time user......Since I'm not sure where the suppressor height sights are gonna hit I would think co-witness first then adjust accordingly? New to red dots on pistols

Just slap the dot on top of the front sight (while sights are aligned obviously [rofl]). Then just go to range and make final adjustments. Plopping it on front sight will get you on paper without having to fire a shot.

Anyone have any experience with both trijicon rmr and vortex viper? I'm starting a G19 build and as you all know have to decide before my slide is milled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any experience with both trijicon rmr and vortex viper? I'm starting a G19 build and as you all know have to decide before my slide is milled.

Just out of curiosity why a Viper over a Venom?
I tried finding the differences between these 2 dots, and what I came up with was the Venom offered a 3 MOA dot, and a top loading battery compartment. A drawback for me on the Viper was the dot size and the battery being on the bottom of it, making replacing it a little more difficult.

Trijicon's warranty blows while Vortex has a lifetime warranty. I agree the RMR is marginally tougher but still has its share of failures but the warranty isn't transferable. I suppose if you replace your optics inside 5 years its not an issue but a lot of us anticipate keeping a red dot past five years (Trijicon's RMR warranty).

Just out of curiosity why a Viper over a Venom?
I tried finding the differences between these 2 dots, and what I came up with was the Venom offered a 3 MOA dot, and a top loading battery compartment. A drawback for me on the Viper was the dot size and the battery being on the bottom of it, making replacing it a little more difficult.

My main reason is the size of the venom, since I don't have the G19 MOS from what I'm told the rear iron sight would have to be moved in front of the venom.

http://jagerwerks.com/glock/optic-cuts/

I picked up a delta point pro for my 41 MOS. I like it so far, although I thought I would shoot it a little faster than I do. I don't have the suppressor sights yet, so once I put those on ill report back

I picked up a delta point pro for my 41 MOS. I like it so far, although I thought I would shoot it a little faster than I do. I don't have the suppressor sights yet, so once I put those on ill report back

For me, I'm slower on close up targets, but much faster and more accurate at distant targets.

I have used a Vortex Venom and an RMR08. Love both, I have even heard great things about the Vortex Razor.

Best of Luck choosing.

Back
Top Bottom