Which Red Dot For My Ruger PCC

Finally found a Ruger PCC (model 19122)
I have a Ruger PCC model 19126 (MA nanny state compliant).
What is the difference? Is there anywhere that spells out the different models? Are there others?

Vortex spark 2
Vortex Venoms
Vortex Strikefire II
Vortex Crossfire
Vortex Vipers
Vortex sparc
Vortex Sparc AR
Too many different models! Is there a table that tells which is which, and what they do?

isn't my illuminated 1-4 scope an adjustable red dot?

it works “like” a red dot at 1x, but it’s still very different. The most limiting factor is eye relief. With a scope, you have a much smaller area to get behind it in order to shoot. With a red dot you have a much wider range of area where you can still look through the windo and line up a quick shot even if the gun isn’tin an ideal position.
I personally find scopes difficult to get properly set up and use. I much prefer a red dot for distances inside 75 yards.

What is the difference? Is there anywhere that spells out the different models? Are there others?

Too many different models! Is there a table that tells which is which, and what they do?
They are all variation of red dots. Some share footprints with more expensive optics on the market, but the shared modularity allows for a nice tiered symbiotic relationship.
Others are pistol style red dots with open emitter design like the Venom. All have different options of dot size and would be perfectly serviceable on a Ruger PC Carbine.
Also encompasses different price points, features, and electronics.
The vortex Crossfire, Sparc AR, Primary Arms Micro series, Sig Romeo 4 & 5 share the footprint of the Aimpoint micro series.
Unfortunately there isn’t much of a graph anywhere on them. Largely just different features, price points and size.

Some folks like a 3 MOA dot, others a 5-7 MOA dot, others a bullseye dot, and others a horseshoe dot. And then there’s green, amber, red. And LED, tritium, fiber-optic with any combination of sources. And small window or large window. And ACSS reticles. And 1.5x or 3x optics. There’s no cheap and easy path to finding the first optics/scopes that are your preferred systems. Sell children into servitude, get a 2nd mortgage - whatever it takes...

Most folks end up with more optics and scopes than guns, buy more guns and mount their extra optics and scopes, and then buy more optics and scopes. I’ll spend as much on a scope as on a rifle, and maybe half as much on a red dot as a pistol. It’s not the hardware that limits my shooting, it’s my practice that limits my shooting. Rather than drop $250 on ammo blasting at some paper at the range, I’ll take Rifle/Pistol 102 at SIG (or another fine school listed in our Training section) and get feedback on my shooting and what to practice to make *me* shoot better.

Then go to the Pro Shop and buy more guns, scopes and optics 😅

Vortex, Sig and Primary Arms all make good quality red dots for under $200.
I’ll be that guy that says f*** Holosun. It’s one thing that we have to have companies making products overseas to be competitive, but I am not supporting a company owned from China. I would never stop any customer from doing it, but their product, nor customer service make them stand out enough to overcome that fact for me. I like the concept of some of their products, but they aren’t going to make you any better or be any more reliable.
Vortex sparc AR 2 or crossfire II
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Basically any Primary Arms micro dot
These are ALL dots that share the Comp M5 and T2 footprint.
I have experiences with all of the above. Pick a company and go from there. Their features are essentially the same.
I have also seen a number of people touting swamp fox optics as of late. Don’t have experiences there yet, but seen good things so far.

Yup, saw a review of a Holosun, got interested for a minute then saw that it was made in China, that was the end of my interest in them. There are other good options that don't send money to China.

The MA nanny state model has only one "AR" feature: the pistol grip. Other "free state" models include features like a threaded barrel and higher capacity magazines.

Some folks like a 3 MOA dot, others a 5-7 MOA dot, others a bullseye dot, and others a horseshoe dot. And then there’s green, amber, red. And LED, tritium, fiber-optic with any combination of sources. And small window or large window. And ACSS reticles. And 1.5x or 3x optics. There’s no cheap and easy path to finding the first optics/scopes that are your preferred systems. Sell children into servitude, get a 2nd mortgage - whatever it takes...

Most folks end up with more optics and scopes than guns, buy more guns and mount their extra optics and scopes, and then buy more optics and scopes. I’ll spend as much on a scope as on a rifle, and maybe half as much on a red dot as a pistol. It’s not the hardware that limits my shooting, it’s my practice that limits my shooting. Rather than drop $250 on ammo blasting at some paper at the range, I’ll take Rifle/Pistol 102 at SIG (or another fine school listed in our Training section) and get feedback on my shooting and what to practice to make *me* shoot better.

Then go to the Pro Shop and buy more guns, scopes and optics 😅

True all things being equal, age and having to buy 'Parkerized' guns skews things a bit, or at least it does for us.

Vortex, Sig and Primary Arms all make good quality red dots for under $200.
I’ll be that guy that says f*** Holosun. It’s one thing that we have to have companies making products overseas to be competitive, but I am not supporting a company owned from China. I would never stop any customer from doing it, but their product, nor customer service make them stand out enough to overcome that fact for me. I like the concept of some of their products, but they aren’t going to make you any better or be any more reliable.
Vortex sparc AR 2 or crossfire II
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Basically any Primary Arms micro dot
These are ALL dots that share the Comp M5 and T2 footprint.
I have experiences with all of the above. Pick a company and go from there. Their features are essentially the same.
I have also seen a number of people touting swamp fox optics as of late. Don’t have experiences there yet, but seen good things so far.

Lol so china sucks, but send half your money to china, not all of it? That magically makes everything better.

That's like saying "it's not rape, because he only gave them just the tip" [rofl]

A lot of those companies you just mentioned have great optics, but they're all chinese produced too. Some of them are probably even made in the same factory Holosun
is. Either that or they're ripping each other off, etc.

Holosun makes some great stuff. So doesn't primary arms, and some of the others. I have an Aimpoint PRO, too, and will probably get another. The problem is I'm approaching 6
rifles, unless someone wants to come here and give me about $1000-$1200 extra so I can stay "all american, all the time" that ain't happening.

Leupold Freedom RDS is $299 with free shipping at Midway. My first red dot and I'm very happy with it. Forever warranty and nice features. Battery life is just ok but the auto on/off feature is cool. 1MOA dot is fine enough for precise work. Did I mention MADE IN USA? Slightly over your target price point but worth a look if you're undecided.

Almost bought one but no default mount is included. Unless there are different skus. Nice product, poor marketing on their part by not throwing in an AR type mount at least, especially at the price point it is at.

I got a $40 dot on Amazon for my PC9. Stays true and no parallax, 3-4 different reticles and sizes Friends thought it was some expensive dot.

Lol so china sucks, but send half your money to china, not all of it? That magically makes everything better.

That's like saying "it's not rape, because he only gave them just the tip" [rofl]

A lot of those companies you just mentioned have great optics, but they're all chinese produced too. Some of them are probably even made in the same factory Holosun
is. Either that or they're ripping each other off, etc.

Holosun makes some great stuff. So doesn't primary arms, and some of the others. I have an Aimpoint PRO, too, and will probably get another. The problem is I'm approaching 6
rifles, unless someone wants to come here and give me about $1000-$1200 extra so I can stay "all american, all the time" that ain't happening.

Almost bought one but no default mount is included. Unless there are different skus. Nice product, poor marketing on their part by not throwing in an AR type mount at least, especially at the price point it is at.
Never said it made it all better. I am saying if you can’t afford all America all the time at least do your best to do it to the greatest extent you can. I know they’re Chinese products still, but by at least supporting what are objectively good american companies still is definitely a step up from not. The Sig red dots ARE made at the same factory. It is what it is. But I think we can all agree Sig Sauer is a better company for guns and guns rights that is very local to all of us than Holosun is directly.
That rape reference is completely off bare because you’re implying that supporting something to the best of your financial means (which is still a positive) is on par with a completely negative terrible event. I am not so naive to think that everybody can afford all America all the time hence making a fair recommendation of a specific items elsewhere. Not to mention that there are very american assembled and owned optics let alone American made.
To the Leupold RDS it’s a product that could have been a cool Aimpoint’esque dot made in America simple reviews online show they have some serious problems. I had one of the Leupold LCOs I got for what I’d consider a good price. It was cool and worked well, but definitely fit into the overpriced category for regular price considering the flaws it did have.

I have a Vortex Sparc II that I think can be had for like $150-175 range that has been treating me well. But if I'm being completely honest, I also have a Bushnell TRS-25 that I got last holiday season for a steal at under $50. While I can tell the Sparc II is a more robust design, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference when I look through them. I think that's why the TRS-25 always rates as a solid deal for Red Dots. No bells/whistles, but a great value.

I'd bet at least 80% of the red dots listed in this thread come from China.

You are probably right, I, personnally, just want to avoid buying anything Chinese (or foreign made for that matter) as much as possible. In regards to Holosun, Eotech makes equivalent or better products and I believe that they are all pretty much made in Ann Arbor, MI, so I would rather purchase an Eotech product, even if it is more money, to support a U.S. company/workers, especially those that are firearms-related. Since we are in a trade deficit with pretty much every other country, any profits/revenue that we send overseas on products never return to cycle through our economy ever again.

I went to my local Cabella's today because they supposedly had several makes/models I wanted to see in stock. When I got there they did, in fact, have 1 model of the Romeo5 ($130) and MSR ($170), and the Vortex Sparc ($200) . After checking them out, I made a snap decision to just try the Romeo5 (model SOR50001)as it was relatively inexpensive and had the Motion Activated feature. I hope to get to the range Friday to check out the new Ruger PCC and the Romeo5 combo.

I was surprised to see that they also had several Aimpoint PRO sights on the shelf for $450, basically the same price I've seen online. I have one I bought years ago through an NES group buy for $360 on an AR-15 and I love it, but thought it might be overkill on the Ruger.

So thanks for all your replies, I always appreciate the opinions/recommendations of my fellow NES'rs.

I would recommend bumping the budget up to $320 and get a Holosun 510C, or the 507C if you prefer the smaller window. At this time next year you will have long forgotten what you paid for the red dot.
I just bought the Ruger PCC, the one that looks like a normal hunting rifle. I also got a Holosun 510c and the Vortex X3 magnifier. I am an old timer and only familiar with older (M14, M16) military rifles. Completely new to modern PCCs.

I haven't even shot this thing yet but did put a laser bullet in the barrel to evaluate the zero. At about 15yds (longest straight line in my house) the red dot was low by a bunch. I was able to bring the red dot to the barrel laser dot at just about the same time as I ran out of elevation adjustment on the 510c. Am I in trouble? I really like the 510c and would love for it to work, since I have an astigmatism and the 510c is favored by guys with my condition.

Thanks,
Dave Day

I just bought the Ruger PCC, the one that looks like a normal hunting rifle. I also got a Holosun 510c and the Vortex X3 magnifier. I am an old timer and only familiar with older (M14, M16) military rifles. Completely new to modern PCCs.

I haven't even shot this thing yet but did put a laser bullet in the barrel to evaluate the zero. At about 15yds (longest straight line in my house) the red dot was low by a bunch. I was able to bring the red dot to the barrel laser dot at just about the same time as I ran out of elevation adjustment on the 510c. Am I in trouble? I really like the 510c and would love for it to work, since I have an astigmatism and the 510c is favored by guys with my condition.

Thanks,
Dave Day

I put a cheap Truglo red dot on a .22 rimfire and had the same issue of maxing out elevation. So far, so go on my end. Should technically not be a problem, but you might want to bring the boresight laser with you to re-confirm zero at the range after several test rounds to make sure it doesn't back off the max setting. In my opinion, the entire elevation range should be usable, even at the very ends.

Back
Top Bottom