Which Red Dot For My Ruger PCC

Finally found a Ruger PCC (model 19122) locally and bought it yesterday. I need a decent red dot for it and would like to keep it under $200. I have checked out a lot of "10 best red dot sights" articles on the web, but still would appreciate suggestions/opinions from my fellow NES'rs. I recently got a Bushnell TRS-25 for my 10/22, which seems fine on that rifle, but wanted something a little better on the PCC. So, what do you have, and what are your likes/dislikes about it?

I picked up a holosun like this one at the LGS for $205. Put it on my .22 upper. I actually like it a lot.

For what it may be worth (I am not close to being an expert on red dots), I have two Vortex Venoms, both on rifles (or carbines, actually). Both are utterly reliable. Among other virtues, one can replace the battery without dismounting the sight (and then having to re-zero). I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Sig Sauer Romeo 5.
I have a Ruger PCC model 19126 (MA nanny state compliant).
I put a Bushnell Trophy 3 MOA red dot on the Ruger. Works fine, but I recently got a CZ Scorpion and I put a Romeo 5 on the Scorpion and I feel like its a much better sight.
So the Romeo 5 would be my recommendation.

I’ll second the Crossfire. Make sure you get the newer version with the longer battery life. And just in case you wanted to know, any Aimpoint T1/H1 mount will work with it.

I would recommend bumping the budget up to $320 and get a Holosun 510C, or the 507C if you prefer the smaller window. At this time next year you will have long forgotten what you paid for the red dot.

If it were not for the Eotech buyback I would have never have purchased a Steiner P4Xi true 1-4 scope and discovered just how far out we can reach out and touch something with our 9mm CX4 Storm. Much more cash but much much more potential though our Storm was fully hardened by Sierrapapa .

Last edited:
If it were not for the Eotech buyback I would have never have purchased a Steiner P4Xi true zero/near true 0-4 scope and discovered just how far out we can reach out and touch something with our 9mm CX4 Storm. Much more cash but much much more potential though our Storm was fully hardened by Sierrapapa .

That is an interesting choice, it would never occur to me to put a scope (or anything with magnification) on a CX4 Storm, or a Ruger PCC either. Steiner makes some good stuff, but remember, just because you can reach out and touch something far away doesn’t mean it will be effective. But, I also wouldn’t want to be “touched” by a 9mm at any range...

Have a Holosun 503 (i think) that's worked fine so far. Had it for about a year and it recently made it through a 2 day carbine class with no problems.

The Mrs. can easily pop the boomers at 75-100 yds, rarely needing more than two shots-me not so much. With a pcc and scope there just might be a whole new world out there PLUS no red comma concerns, which is what I always saw with the Eotech, annoying as heck. Though many are quite happy with a dedicated red dot only sight.

I have Trijicon RMRs/ACOGs, Holosun 503s, Vortex Vipers and a few SIG Romeo red dots on the rifles and pistols I use most - 1000s of rounds without failures for all but the two SIG Romeo dots. The SIGs just went low-battery flash and dead within minutes. First Gen that were exchanged with later models (while at SIG Academy - over lunch breaks) that have held up, so don’t get a 1st Gen on sale.

Not combat conditions, of course, but some hard-banging field courses. I expect the Trijicons to take a beating and am happy that the Holosuns do as well. The Vipers are on a Ruger 57 and Saiga-12 and have held up fine. The SIGs on safe-queens/range guns now - once I lose trust there’s no need for a 2nd chance when other excellent options abound.

For ease of use, moderate price, battery life and durability I’d vote Holosun 503s.

Vortex, Sig and Primary Arms all make good quality red dots for under $200.
I’ll be that guy that says f*** Holosun. It’s one thing that we have to have companies making products overseas to be competitive, but I am not supporting a company owned from China. I would never stop any customer from doing it, but their product, nor customer service make them stand out enough to overcome that fact for me. I like the concept of some of their products, but they aren’t going to make you any better or be any more reliable.
Vortex sparc AR 2 or crossfire II
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Basically any Primary Arms micro dot
These are ALL dots that share the Comp M5 and T2 footprint.
I have experiences with all of the above. Pick a company and go from there. Their features are essentially the same.
I have also seen a number of people touting swamp fox optics as of late. Don’t have experiences there yet, but seen good things so far.

Either Sig or Vortex are good options and in the $ range
Vortex is my sight of choice because I like the adjustments
I like and have both on several rifles

Another option I didn’t see stated is a Primary Arms Cyclops prism. Etched/ illuminated reticle with hold overs for distance. I have one on a 16” 9mm AR and like it a lot.

Thanks to all for your replies. As with most things these days, there are too many choices. I am looking closely at the Primary Arms, Sig and Vortex red dots, and the Vortex lifetime, no BS warranty is something to consider, decisions, decisions...

Leupold Freedom RDS is $299 with free shipping at Midway. My first red dot and I'm very happy with it. Forever warranty and nice features. Battery life is just ok but the auto on/off feature is cool. 1MOA dot is fine enough for precise work. Did I mention MADE IN USA? Slightly over your target price point but worth a look if you're undecided.

LPVO on a 9mm? Um ok

battery life matters
holosun
sig romeo
same thing w different button and battery setup. Both are good. The sig works because sig doesn’t make it. Pay attention to the battery mount that’s the biggest difference between models. I much prefer the side battery mount over the tray or under-the-optic options both of which are tough to swap.

Unless vortex has recently joined 21st century their battery life is poor

the beef w Chinese optics is hilarious. Guarantee 3/4 of the crap in anyone’s home was made in China.

Im very happy with the Vortex Sparc AR.. bought mine for $199. Works very well on my 19122 .

When you start getting into that $300 range a Romeo 4 is another great option, definitely an upgrade to the 5 (which is a lighter economical model).

Back
Top Bottom