• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which pistol for IDPA?

I am looking to start in IDPA.

I have a few pistols to choose from.

Kimber Pro-Elite 4" barrel with night sights
Kimber Custom Target govt model (already has adjustable sights)
Glock 19
Glock 26

Glock 19C

Which one would be good to start with?
Also, is the 19C legal to use with IDPA ? I'm worried that since it is ported through the slide it may not be "legal" to use.

Also, my Kimber Pro Elite has a cone barrel and no barrel bushing. Would this pistol be ok for CDP?

Last edited:
Comps aren't allowed in IDPA, factory or otherwise. I'd go with either the Kimber Custom Target or the Glock 19.

Glock 19 puts you in the SSP division. SSP is any DA/SA or safe action style gun in 9mm or larger, max capacity 10+1. So you'll be competing mainly against glocks, sigs, M&Ps and Berettas. You have a slight disadvantage with the shorter sight radius, but I don't think it's a big deal. The 26 would put you in the same division but the short sight radius would be an issue I think.

Either Kimber puts you in CDP, which is 45ACP pistols with 8+1 max capacity. It may as well be called the 1911 division, but people do shoot other guns from time to time. The longer sight radius on the Custom vs the Pro would probably help a bit.

SSP is the most popular division, so you'll have more people to compare scores against. CDP is the 2nd most popular division, so there's still plenty of people to compete with.

I'd decide between the two based on which you have holsters and mag carriers for and which you prefer to shoot. If neither of those were a strong preference, I'd go with the Glock 19 for the cheaper ammo.

Comps aren't allowed in IDPA, factory or otherwise. I'd go with either the Kimber Custom Target or the Glock 19.

Glock 19 puts you in the SSP division. SSP is any DA/SA or safe action style gun in 9mm or larger, max capacity 10+1. So you'll be competing mainly against glocks, sigs, M&Ps and Berettas. You have a slight disadvantage with the shorter sight radius, but I don't think it's a big deal. The 26 would put you in the same division but the short sight radius would be an issue I think.

Either Kimber puts you in CDP, which is 45ACP pistols with 8+1 max capacity. It may as well be called the 1911 division, but people do shoot other guns from time to time. The longer sight radius on the Custom vs the Pro would probably help a bit.

SSP is the most popular division, so you'll have more people to compare scores against. CDP is the 2nd most popular division, so there's still plenty of people to compete with.

I'd decide between the two based on which you have holsters and mag carriers for and which you prefer to shoot. If neither of those were a strong preference, I'd go with the Glock 19 for the cheaper ammo.

Thanks Jar.
The Glock 34 is SSP also right?

The Kimber is an awesome gun but I don't reload and I think Jar may be right...it'll be considerably cheaper to shoot a 9mm.

If I have a 19c, can I put a non-ported barrel in it and shoot SSP? That may be an option for me.

If you have the G19 why bother with the G19C with a non-ported barrel? The slide weight differences are unlikely to give you any advantages.

Here's my interpretation of the official rules:

SSP doesn't allow "slide lightening". "slide lightening" is defined in the rulebook as:
"Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage".

Since the G34 has similar holes in the slide as your G19C (and you are using a stock unported barrel) and the G34 is legal I see no problem with this.... as YOU didn't modify the slide. I may be wrong but I can't validate otherwise now.

If you have to shoot the 19C instead of the 19 I'll put you in SSP unless I find other information to the contrary. Either way... come shoot and have fun. You'll have a blast.

If you have the G19 why bother with the G19C with a non-ported barrel? The slide weight differences are unlikely to give you any advantages.

Here's my interpretation of the official rules:

SSP doesn't allow "slide lightening". "slide lightening" is defined in the rulebook as:
"Removal of portions of the slide to gain a competitive advantage".

Since the G34 has similar holes in the slide as your G19C (and you are using a stock unported barrel) and the G34 is legal I see no problem with this.... as YOU didn't modify the slide. I may be wrong but I can't validate otherwise now.

If you have to shoot the 19C instead of the 19 I'll put you in SSP unless I find other information to the contrary. Either way... come shoot and have fun. You'll have a blast.

Nice to meet you yesterday.

I just don't want both a 19 and a 19C...and if I had to choose between owning either of the pistols, I'd rather have the 19C.

Regardless I'll be shooting with the 19 this saturday. It's up for sale. I might be able to get my hands on a 34. If so that'll be my IDPA gun.

Thanks Dave.

Here's what I use, both in SSR:

U71HKvWpHEMTy+7yiOCzvqNak8D5vXgm0300.jpg

HmwLOHcWNJFfH2fQznAtc9D3j6SZzPES0300.jpg

SW 1911

I have a new SW 1911. I am not crazy about it. I love 1911's, but I would much rather a Kimber or Springfield 1911. I suppose it is the price one has to pay for living in PRM. Anyone know if there are any Caspian frame group buys for NES?

My S&W 1911 served me very well shooting L-10 in USPSA, the gun ran great, I would certainly pick it over a Kimber even if I lived in a free state. Maybe even a springer of the same price

Get a XD you won't be sorry. I like the service model for IDPA, it points well and I really like how it shoots.

Will my Sig P220 woork in SSP or should i shoot a 9mm to get the same bang for a smaller dollar?

You can shoot any caliber > 9x19 in SSP so long as the gun itself meets the class rules. With ammo prices being what they are, I don't know why anyone would unless that is all they had.

You can shoot any caliber > 9x19 in SSP so long as the gun itself meets the class rules. With ammo prices being what they are, I don't know why anyone would unless that is all they had.
Among others reasons, people shoot other calibers simply because they have more then one and/or to stay current with a carry gun which might not be 9mm.

jkelly

Back
Top Bottom