• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which One Is Better For Long Range Shooting

Didn’t you just buy two rifles and now you’re still looking for a third?
The fix is something like $3500? Also If IIRC its a 16" platform? So your giving up the velocity of the 6 .5 that it craves.
so he still has enough budget to buy a few ok scopes and mounts for these rifles vs $3500 for one.
I cant say budget guns wont shoot (I have some) although i do have a handful of rifles I wish I could sell for what I paid and pick up something really nice.

A "cloverleaf" at 300 is not at all impossible. It's only three shots touching at 300. It is also statistically meaningless. Just about any rifle can luck into 3 shots. Show me 5 shots and I'll be impressed. Or repeat the "cloverleaf" a few times. Extremely accurate rifles do exist.

That's why I can't afford it.

There is a big difference of a Savage $635
A Mossberg that was $930
And a $3200 Q Fix rifle.

You’re already halfway there. When you figure in another rifle, plus three scopes and mounts, you’ll have spent damn near the same.

You’re already halfway there. When you figure in another rifle, plus three scopes and mounts, you’ll have spent damn near the same.

Yes this is true but I will have 3 guns in 3 different calibers 5.55 308 and a 6.5 creed all in chassis systems with scopes.

And i am pretty sure the Savage 10 and Moss MVP LC will both do good up to 1000 yard.

Every one recommend the Savage so i got it.

I just liked the MVP LC because it comes in the chassis and takes (Stanag mags) it only makes sense when I have 3 AR15 - Tavor - M16 - Sig MCX and a Beretta ARX100 that all take Stanag mags.

I sold my 2 Ruger Mini 14 just because they don't take Stanag mags.

A "cloverleaf" at 300 is not at all impossible. It's only three shots touching at 300. It is also statistically meaningless. Just about any rifle can luck into 3 shots. Show me 5 shots and I'll be impressed. Or repeat the "cloverleaf" a few times. Extremely accurate rifles do exist.

Thank you for posting this. 3 shoot groups are a pet peeve of mine, they mean almost nothing. 5 shot groups should be a minimum for determining any accuracy potential.

Repeatability is the key here. A single MOA group from a rifle doesn't mean much. A rifle that is consistently MOA, is the goal.

The internet is full of "MOA" rifles because they shot a 1 inch group at 100 yards........once.

This is why I recommend the Ruger Precision Rifle:

There have been a lot of good rifles mentioned here. I don't know how easily or how much modification you can do on all of them. I do know that on the Savages the barrels can be changed quite easily. In regards to the RPR it's good out of the box and if you want you can make basically just about any modification you choose to. The barrel, the grip, the stock, the trigger, the handguard etc. It also comes with a 20 MOA rail. It also allows you more options in magazine choice too. You can use inexpensive P mags or more expensive AICS type mags.

This is why I recommend the Ruger Precision Rifle:

I don't really want to buy a $1000 gun and have to put another $1000 in to it to make it any good that tells me the gun is really junk and i have to upgrade it to make it ok or good.

Its not like a Glock that will do what is meant to do out of the box and if you want to make it trick then you can upgrade the snot out of it.

I don't really want to buy a $1000 gun and have to put another $1000 in to it to make it any good that tells me the gun is really junk and i have to upgrade it to make it ok or good.

Its not like a Glock that will do what is meant to do out of the box and if you want to make it trick then you can upgrade the snot out of it.
You don't have to put anything into it. It's good out of the box. It's a plus that you have lots of flexibility and there are a lot of modifications easily available to you if you want to make changes but you don't have to make them. It's not junk.
This is a first generation RPR which did have some areas that were better to upgrade. They are now on the 3rd generation where those upgrades were made. It performs well in this challenge Snipers Hide did.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbrB0j9VJ24&t=1s

Last edited:
You don't have to put anything into it. It's good out of the box. It's a plus that you have lots of flexibility and there are a lot of modifications easily available to you if you want to make changes but you don't have to make them. It's not junk.

To make the RPR competitive you need to do three or four things though. You have to hand load, the rounds have to be loaded to the loose specs. You kind of have to upgrade the barrel, you don’t need a $1000 dollar Proof Research but the stock one isn’t amazing. It needs a Timney trigger. Lastly, it probably needs a better bolt. I shot my RPR through the whole season last year, it was great to get into the game but you can grow out of it fast.

Agreed. The RPR is not junk out of the box. Mine I just added glass and was accurately shooting before I started making adjustment that I liked to the rifle.

To make the RPR competitive you need to do three or four things though. You have to hand load, the rounds have to be loaded to the loose specs. You kind of have to upgrade the barrel, you don’t need a $1000 dollar Proof Research but the stock one isn’t amazing. It needs a Timney trigger. Lastly, it probably needs a better bolt. I shot my RPR through the whole season last year, it was great to get into the game but you can grow out of it fast.
The way to get the best out of any gun is to handload. Each barrel is different so some most likely shoot better than others. Upgrading the barrel is nice but you might end up doing that on a Savage, Howa, Tikka or Bergara too. The stock trigger is fine especially for what he wants but yes I agree the Timney trigger is very nice. I've got one and if someone is very serious and competitive I'd recommend it. I'm pleased with the action of my bolt but everyone is different.
it was great to get into the game but you can grow out of it fast.
Actually because you can easily make modifications to it you can make it so you don't grow out of it. It can get expensive but it's still cheaper than buying an AI or other custom gun.

The way to get the best out of any gun is to handload. Each barrel is different so some most likely shoot better than others. Upgrading the barrel is nice but you might end up doing that on a Savage, Howa, Tikka or Bergara too. The stock trigger is fine especially for what he wants but yes I agree the Timney trigger is very nice. I've got one and if someone is very serious and competitive I'd recommend it. I'm pleased with the action of my bolt but everyone is different.
Actually because you can easily make modifications to it you can make it so you don't grow out of it. It can get expensive but it's still cheaper than buying an AI or other custom gun.

To be clear, I have no regrets, it’s a solid rifle. I’m going to keep it and play around with upgrading it.

No saying the Ruger is shit just saying if i have to buy one for $1000 and put $500 in to it why isn't there a rifle for $1500 that is already there and if I want to up grade it later on I can.

And getting a Ruger and having to do a trigger barrel butt stock and bolt at that point it sounds like a whole diffren gun or even a whole new gun.

For that coin I can go get a Remington 700 action buy a custom bolt & custom barrel and drop it in to a chassis and just built a better gun for about the same price.

Last edited:
Once again it's good out of the box. You don't have to put anything into it if you don't want to.

This thread, muh lawd!

I try not to shot post anymore, but I have to ask, OP used to shoot submoa at 2500 yards, but is asking for advice on how to shoot past 300 yards?

I am not asking for advice at all on how to shoot.

I am asking about guns and what is the best out there now a days.

Back in the military days i only shot 2 bolt guns a Barrett 50 cal and a Remington 700 308 and from every thing I see and hear they are out dated.

So again looking to know what is the best for the money for 6.5 creed that can shoot 1200 yards and under consistently and it won't break the bank.

I am not arguing with anybody I'm just looking for suggestions and then giving my opinions of what I think to help me figure out what rifle to get.

Once again it's good out of the box. You don't have to put anything into it if you don't want to.

I guess i could get the RPR because I can get one for $800 ad a scope and a trigger and be at $1500

And I don't know people shit on Mossberg MVP I look at it as the barrel is what makes the gun and Mossberg makes the barrels for a lot of companies so I would think there barrels would be half way decent barrels so then the MVP LC can't be all that bad.

Last edited:
I guess i could get the RPR because I can get one for $800 ad a scope and a trigger and be at $1500
I would go to a store where you can check out the RPR and the other guns that you're interested in and see what you like best. I consider the ability to make modifications as a positive but it's not necessary to do so. Also I don't know about the other ones you're interested in but the RPR has a folding stock which gives you the option of using a shorter case to carry it in.

The cool thing about the RPR is that it’s decent out of the box and should you want to there are a ton of after market parts. I don’t recall another rifle that created an aftermarket of parts so quickly. Twenty years after the introduction of the AR15 you could count on one hand the number of companies making AR components.

The cool thing about the RPR is that it’s decent out of the box and should you want to there are a ton of after market parts. I don’t recall another rifle that created an aftermarket of parts so quickly. Twenty years after the introduction of the AR15 you could count on one hand the number of companies making AR components.

Thats a good point if I get a top of the line gun or some odd ball gun and it needs parts and can't find any parts for that gun then all i will have is a very expensive anchor.

So I just looked up parts for all these different long range chassis rifles and non of the rifles have any good custom parts except for the Ruger.

The RPR has a bunch of custom parts all different things holts bolt knobs higher Moa rails titanium bolt housing just to name a few.

So I want to thank every one for the help and my decision to go with the Ruger RPR in 6.5 creed.

Last edited:
The more accurate your rifle shoots makes a big difference your groups will be at ultra long range. My 6mm Norma BR. will shoot under 2 inches at 400 yards with my reloaded 105 grain Berger VLD bullets. My best 1,000 yard 5 shot group was 3.25 inches.

Attachments

• 400 yd target.jpg
    400 yd target.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • pst 2.jpg
    pst 2.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 12
177 posts to end up with a Ruger RPR

View attachment 266982

I haven't bought anything yet unless you have any other better suggestions than a Ruger RPR that I could look at that don't cost over $2000 dollars.

It only seems like the best rifle for the money only because I can upgrade it later where is most of the other rifles they don't make any aftermarket parts for.

It's like a glock 17 vs some other higher end 9mm pistol that you can't upgrade I rather the glock 17 and upgrade it as my skills increase.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom