Which of these Gun Clubs impresses you the most?

Also to the OP: There is a large "mileage spread" between Franklin and Braintree. You need to pick a place that you can and will go to regularly w/o groaning about the travel time and distance. Good example is IMNSHO Harvard Sportsmen's Club is aces over every other club that I'm aware of in Eastern MA wrt outdoor ranges . . . but it is just too far away for me to give it consideration.

Go to the upcoming gun show at Holbrook (11/20-21) and scout out that club while you are there. Run up to Braintree R&P as well to check it out that same day. That is if these locations really make sense to you wrt where you live and work. [I'm one of the ROs on duty on 11/20 from 10AM to 1PM and will be happy to show you around. I'm running over to the Holbrook show after 1PM however.]

Personally I think that Mansfield F&G is great for outdoor (short-range, 50 and 100 yd) shooting. The flexible rules on the 50 yd range makes it a great place for those of us who want to safely practice defensive tactics shooting that isn't allowed at most gun clubs. The indoor range is indeed under construction but due to the need for mucho $$$ to finish the project, you can figure that it is at least a few years away from completion.
Yes, the distance from my house is probably something I should put higher up on the list of priorities.

I would also like something with an indoor range. I would be bringing my 11 year old son on many occasions and I would get my most use out of my membership if he could shoot his . 22 inside during the winter.

Thanks for all the input

Yes, the distance from my house is probably something I should put higher up on the list of priorities.

I would also like something with an indoor range. I would be bringing my 11 year old son on many occasions and I would get my most use out of my membership if he could shoot his . 22 inside during the winter.

Thanks for all the input

If you have kids, consider clubs that have a good Juniors program. Perhaps the other clubs previously mentioned have good Juniors programs, I don't know, but the one at Hanson is decent.

I joined Taunton because they have a world class indoor range and a 300 meter outdoor range. Caveats are the indoor range is limited to pistol calibers only (22 and 17HMR are allowed) and you have to "qualify" on the 300 meter range before they give you access.

Both are not deal breakers. If I want to shoot rifles in the middle of winter I either man up or go to AFS.

Not to pick nits, but for the sake of accuracy, Taunton's range is 300 yards

Back
Top Bottom