Which OAL to use for 45 ACP?

Which OAL for 230gr 45 ACP?

• Total voters

Golddiggie

NES Member
I've found two published OAL for the 230gr TMJ (Berry RN) round already. One source lists a target of 1.237" where the book I have (Lyman 50th edition) calls out the max round length of 1.275". I checked two different manufacturer's factory loads (Remington and Federal target practice) which came out at 1.248" and 1.265" respectively.

So, my question is what should I set the OAL to for this load? Is the published book considered more accurate than the phone app I've been using?

For reference I'm using Winchester 231 powder with CCI 300 primers.

I also plan to be making a load for my father's race gun (I inherited it more than a few years back now) once I've replaced the barrel in it (compensated of course ;)). I'm looking to use the Berry's 185gr RNHB (round nose hollow base) projectiles there. With either Win231 or Bullseye powder. I'd be interested to know what the OAL target should be for that projectile too. If anyone's reloading with it and wishes to share.

Side question, since I couldn't find the info searching through different sources... Is there any harm in having the shorter OAL for the 230gr loads? Would the longer OAL actually have the round perform better?? I took my first 20 loads to the range this morning and they worked well in one of the three pistols I brought. The second pistol has the factory recoil spring, so I have some different (lighter) ones in my Brownell's cart right now. I'm going to post up another thread asking a question about the third pistol shortly. I'd love to actually have the same round work in all three, but I'm OK with it only working in the two 1911's.

Final thought... Any recommendations on an easier way to get a round OAL measure? Right now I'm using my digital Mitutoyo calipers. I have some question on the accuracy of the measure I'm getting due to the round nose projectiles.

Shorter OAL increases your chamber pressure so yes there can be harm in using a shorter OAL, however there is a difference between max round length (the round spec from SAAMI or whomever) and the reocommended load OAL for the bullet you're using. Hodgdon recommends a 1.200" COL for a 230gr round nose lead which is essentially what the berry's round is, just plated. Anything above that should work fine as long as it feeds.

I load 200gr plated flat points with Titegroup and seat them to 1.190" with a light crimp.

I've loaded plenty of the 185g HBRN, but I don't have any details in front of me. I would start at the maximum COL and see if they chamber properly. The 185g HBRN is about .583" in length, whereas their 230g Hybrid HP is about .620" in length. I'd think you could seat the HBRN deeper (1.20" would be a good guess) as the hollow base adds case volume essentially, but you'll have to determine velocities and power factors, where applicable.

Another view...
https://www.berrysmfg.com/pub/files/GeezerLoadMarkwell.pdf

I'll make up some test bullets (no primer or powder) and see how they feed in at least the two 1911's. I don't think there were any issues with the 1.237" OAL setting. I'll try closer to the 1.248" (+/- .002 ;)) and see how those work. I plan to load up another 20-30 to test next weekend. Minimum charge is listed as 5.2gr of 231. I'm going to aim for 5.3gr (so that I don't go under 5.2 even with drift). I have a 16.5# spring in the frankenpara now, with 14#, 15# and 16# on standby. I'll have other springs for the DE1911C by next weekend (I hope). I'll probably swap the original for one lower (of the set coming) before going to the range (a 2 minute drive ;)).

I was already planning to get another seat/crimp die for the 185gr rounds so that I won't be dicking around with setting that for the two different sets. I'll measure the two projectile types I have here (more to see if the RN is different than the HP listed above).

Load them as long as will reliably feed.
Load them as short as will reliably feed.

Regarding 230g RN, I have been told both of these things by people whom know alot more than I do about reloading the sacred 45acp.

I loaded some 230 rn with clays at 1.26. Even near max recommended load (4.0) with 3.9 they didn't make minimum pf. Fyi.
I have notes showing I needed 4.1 at 1.24" to make major during summer weather. (Coated lead) Clay's is reverse temperature sensitive. I have loaded and fired over 60k of bare or coated lead over 3.8-4.1 of Clay's through a 2 piece Springfield barrel with no issues. I had a hot weather load and a cool weather load. If you are loading jacketed for major get a different powder.

Edited for correct load data

Last edited:
Load them as long as will reliably feed.
Load them as short as will reliably feed.

Regarding 230g RN, I have been told both of these things by people whom know alot more than I do about reloading the sacred 45acp.

I have notes showing I needed 4.4 at 1.24" to make major during summer weather. (Coated lead) Clay's is reverse temperature sensitive. I have loaded and fired over 60k of bare or coated lead over 3.8-4.4 of Clay's through a 2 piece Springfield barrel with no issues. If you are loading jacketed for major get a different powder.
Thanks I was wondering what your load was in the SDB.

I used to load as long as would fit in the magazine but I discovered that while they'd fit in the Thompson magazine, they were too long for the 1911 magazine. I had to shoot a bunch of ammo out of the smg. Sometimes life is tough. I now load to 1.25.

1.25 is my typical COL for 45.

I recently loaded a batch of 200gr RN shorter at 1.19 to see if it made a difference in my Glock 21. Jury is still out...

Back
Top Bottom