Which new Ruger .22 to get - Mk III or 22/45?

dwarven1

Lonely Mountain Arms
I'm thinking of updating my .22 autopistol and selling my Mk 1 and picking up a newer one. Any feedback on the relative merits of the two, compared to each other, would be appreciated. (reason - more accessories available for the newer ones - I have a hell of a time even finding magazines for the Mark 1 - and forget about trigger mods, etc.)

Thanks!

Ross

I like the Mk III, just because I like it. The 22/45 has a 1911 type, see the word type, grip. Both are from Ruger and have the same internal parts. If you get the Mk III it's my understanding you can use your old clips.

I like the Mk III, just because I like it. The 22/45 has a 1911 type, see the word type, grip. Both are from Ruger and have the same internal parts. If you get the Mk III it's my understanding you can use your old clips.

You cant use MK I mags on a MK II or vice versa I believe. I haven't tried it
so I am not 100% sure. Ross, you can buy mags for the MK I. I bought a MK I
on this forum back a while ago and shot it for the first time this weekend and
loved it, but then again there's not many guns I don't love so I guess that's
not such a ringing endorsement! [smile]

BTW, I have a MK II (bull barrel) and I really like that pistol as does my wife. I
don't know how the MK III stacks up against it but if you could lay your hands
on one of these on the cheap you won't be disappointed.

I just sold my 22/45 5.5 bull bbl. It was an 'ok' pistol for around the $200 price. Good accuracy and realiabilty but the trigger wasn't that great. What really irked me was that the magazine did not drop when you pressed the mag release button. It just release the lock and dropped it about 1/4 inch from the magwell. You had to use the tip of your fingernail to pull out the mag. Lots of fumbling around. I also prefer the the other grip better.

Last edited:
I have the Mark III bull barrel, and I'm very happy with it ('cept when I have to clean it, of course). The nice thing about the Mark III vs. the Mark II is that the Mark III has the mag release button on the side of the frame, like most autos.

I love my souped up MKIII Hunter. Tons you can do with it aftermarket. You could replace almost every piece of the gun with an aftermarket upgrade if you wanted....Takedown isnt moron proof like on a glock, but its not rocket science, either.

Well, Yankee Artifacts has a 22/45 for $289 with 4 mags... and I can get a NEW one from Callaghans for a few bucks less. So... new vs. used with extra mags - plus getting to support my local shop...

I'm stopping by tomorrow to order a new Mk III with a 5.5" bull barrel.

Anyone want to buy a Mark 1? Works fine; I just want to play around with some aftermarket parts with the MkIII.

Dwarven, let me know if you ever get up to the southern NH area. You can play with mine, which has a lot of aftermarket parts (Grips, target sear, some trigger work, compensator, bolt release)

Back
Top Bottom