• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which new gun...

Heres a pic of my Ruger MKIII.....this pic doesnt have the compensator, but it shows some of the aftermarket mods that can be done. This was a "Hunter" in stainless before mods.

If you were at the NES shoot, you should have asked to shoot it! Everyone who tried it giggled when they shot it. With its weight, the wdie target grips and compensator, it feels just like a pellet gun going off. You can drive tacks as fast as you can pull the trigger.

If you ever get up in the NH area, id be happy to let you try it out.

I shot competiton rifle for years, but got into pistol when i moved to NH. I recently got a 9mm thats alot of fun to shoot, but its nothing like the fun and cheapness of being able to burn 500 rounds of ammo for 10$.

Space gun:
Slight threadjack: What mods (other than the scope)? How much does this weigh compared to, say a standard MkIII or MkII Anniv. Edition? Do you want to get rid of the old adjustable sights? (-;

See also: WTB: Ruger MkII or MkIII adj. sights

I disagree about the 22A trigger, mine is great and I own the cheapest version of it.

IMO he is right... the 22A trigger is terrible compared to a lot of
others. It has a "bounce" to it and the break feels funny. Maybe this is a
gun specific thing. It probably can be helped quite a bit by a good smith
polishing the appropriate components.

The bigger problem with the 22A trigger is that grit/garbage tends to find its
way into the mechanism pretty easily, but since it's not hard to clean this
pistol (unlike the ruger MKII/IIII hell-child pistols) that is a pretty easy thing
to fix.

Terrible trigger aside, I'd still rather bring my 22A to the range any day of the
week than a MKII or MKIII. They work but they are a bitch to clean/maintain.

-Mike

Slight threadjack: What mods (other than the scope)? How much does this weigh compared to, say a standard MkIII or MkII Anniv. Edition? Do you want to get rid of the old adjustable sights? (-;

See also: WTB: Ruger MkII or MkIII adj. sights

Mods:
VQ Target Sear
VQ EDM extractor
VQ Compensator (no front sight version, not pictured)
VQ Target grips
VQ Extended bolt release

Im not sure on weight....its not a light little pistol, but its not too heavy to shoot bullseye one handed, and im a pretty small guy.

Ill look for my old sights...theyre the hi-viz ones, though, so let me know if you wouldnt want those.

Heres the MKIII Stainless "hunter" stock:
1.jpg

The MKII

So my pal at work brought in a few different guns. First was a SS MKII Target model with what looked like a 6" barrel that was flat on each side. It had wood target grips and a rail for a scope. It felt extremely comfortable compared to the little Walther we used in class. Now I just have to handle a 22a.

He also brought a S&W .44 that was just sick. He's into stainless for sure.
Also a short little 9mm and a Colt 1911.

Holding that Colt 1911 was like walking barefoot through a field of boobies. Perfect fit.

I have to resist.......

I would say either the Ruger or the S&W. I own a Ruger MK II and love it (my Bullseye gun). I'm looking at getting the S&W 22A as a plinker and for the wife to shoot.

Last edited:
Before you buy, you must determine what use that .22 will be used for. If just informal plinking, almost any gun will do. However, if you intend to get involved in bullseye competition shooting, the only .22 mentioned so far that could be successfully used, IMHO, is the Ruger 5.5 inch Target model. I have used the S&W .22 and did NOT consider it to be target quality; owner sold it very soon.

IF you decide on a M1911, the S&W version is a great buy; very hard to beat these with so many extra features. Accurate too! PLUS, you can add the Marvel .22 conversion (target model - not plinker) and have a great target .22 as well as a .45 -- two guns in one. I shoot this combo in competition even though I own many other .22s including Ruger, Browning. S&W M41, and Pardini.

A note on the Marvel conversion kit - I heard such great things about them, I ordered one of my own. That was 10 weeks ago. Still haven't received it. I was told 4 weeks, then 6 weeks, then 8 weeks - I plan on calling again this afternoon. Point being, if you plan to buy a conversion kit from Marvel, plan ahead (order now if you want it within the next 3 months).

Thanks....

Before you buy, you must determine what use that .22 will be used for. If just informal plinking, almost any gun will do. However, if you intend to get involved in bullseye competition shooting, the only .22 mentioned so far that could be successfully used, IMHO, is the Ruger 5.5 inch Target model. I have used the S&W .22 and did NOT consider it to be target quality; owner sold it very soon.

IF you decide on a M1911, the S&W version is a great buy; very hard to beat these with so many extra features. Accurate too! PLUS, you can add the Marvel .22 conversion (target model - not plinker) and have a great target .22 as well as a .45 -- two guns in one. I shoot this combo in competition even though I own many other .22s including Ruger, Browning. S&W M41, and Pardini.

This is wonderful advice! I am interested in getting involved with some sort of competitive shooting. The Target model Ruger... is it a MKIII?

Once I grow into this sport, I plan to buy a 1911 as a way for my Dad and I to hang out every once in a while.

I am interested in getting involved with some sort of competitive shooting. The Target model Ruger... is it a MKIII?

I shoot Bullseye for Littleton in the Nashoba Valley League. The club is just off 495, so would be convenient for you coming from Chelmsford. The league is always looking to welcome new shooters, so PM me if you'd like to get an introduction to the sport and I'd be happy to set something up.

BTW, you'll see plenty of more expensive guns around the league, but there are plenty of excellent shooters using Rugers, and at least one - the top shooter in the league, actually - who shoots a Marvel conversion. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

Last edited:
I shoot Bullseye for Littleton in the Nashoba Valley League. The club is just off 495, so would be convenient for you coming from Chelmsford. The league is always looking to welcome new shooters, so PM me if you'd like to get an introduction to the sport and I'd be happy to set something up.

BTW, you'll see plenty of more expensive guns around the league, but there are plenty of excellent shooters using Rugers, and at least one - the top shooter in the league, actually - who shoots a Marvel conversion. I don't think you'd go wrong with either one.

I will take you up on your offer for an introduction soon. Which club is this.... I assume it's in Littleton?

I will take you up on your offer for an introduction soon. Which club is this.... I assume it's in Littleton?

Yes, Littleton Sportsmens Club - about a half-mile west from the Rt. 119 exit in Littleton. It's a small club with a 24/7 indoor range and a very good pistol team (1st place, undefeated in the league this past season). Let me know when you're ready, and it'll be my pleasure to introduce you to bullseye.

This is wonderful advice! I am interested in getting involved with some sort of competitive shooting. The Target model Ruger... is it a MKIII?

Once I grow into this sport, I plan to buy a 1911 as a way for my Dad and I to hang out every once in a while.

I think the one he is talking about is the Ruger MK II, that is what mine is also, I'm not sure if they have a MK III Target.

The MK II's are not made anylonger (replaced by the MK III).

I think the one he is talking about is the Ruger MK II, that is what mine is also, I'm not sure if they have a MK III Target.

The MK II's are not made anylonger (replaced by the MK III).

AH sorry I stand corrected, I went over to the Ruger site and they do list MK III target models. Didn't think they were making them, learn something new everyday [smile].

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAFamily?type=Pistol&subtype=Rimfire%20Autoloading&famlst=55&variation=Bull%20Barrel

Back
Top Bottom