Which new gun...

WickedSharp

NES Member
Hi guys,

I completed my pistol coarse last weekend, and will be applying soon form my LTC. I'll need to start shopping for my first handgun pretty soon and need some help. I'm 6'5" tall and weigh 250. My hands are pretty large. I'm pretty sure I want to start out with a .22 semi-auto, but the ones we used in class (Walther P22) were way too small. Can you help me build a list of .22's (I guess I'm interested in single action revolvers too) that are comfortable for guys with big hands?

Smith & Wesson model 22A

With the target grips, it will fit large hands very nicely!

107431_large.jpg

You can usually pick them up slightly used for right around $200

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I completed my pistol coarse [sic] last weekend, and will be applying soon for my LTC. I'll need to start shopping for my first handgun pretty soon and need some help. I'm 6'5" tall and weigh 250. My hands are pretty large. I'm pretty sure I want to start out with a .22 semi-auto, but the ones we used in class (Walther P22) were way too small. Can you help me build a list of .22's (I guess I'm interested in single action revolvers too) that are comfortable for guys with big hands?

First, remember you can get after-market grips from Hogue, Ajax and Pachmeyr for pretty much any pistol you're likely to consider.

The Ruger Mark series used to have a set of target grips on certain versions - IF you were right-handed, they are nice.

Revolvers...

Can I get a Ruger Single Six with a large enough grip?

BTW, I got helpful responses faster on this forum than on any other forum I've belonged to.

THANKS

I wouldlokk at a Ruger Mark III, the is a huge aftermarket, so finding different grips that fit should be easy

Agreed. Ruger MK III is the best choice. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and awesome fun. It's kind of a pain to field strip, but other than that is a good choice. I have the MK III Hunter (22/45).....you should give it a go.

Good luck. I've only been doing it for a month myself. I can allready see my bank balance going to zero [crying] ....

The Smith and Wesson 22A is the best choice IMO. Cheap, easy to clean, very accurate, easy to mount accessories, very easy to take down, and not made by a company that believes that ten rounds is all an honest man needs.

The Smith and Wesson 22A is the best choice IMO. Cheap, easy to clean, very accurate, easy to mount accessories, very easy to take down, and not made by a company that believes that ten rounds is all an honest man needs.

Crappy trigger, though.

Agreed. Ruger MK III is the best choice. Cheap to buy, cheap to shoot, and awesome fun. It's kind of a pain to field strip, but other than that is a good choice. I have the MK III Hunter (22/45).....you should give it a go.

Good luck. I've only been doing it for a month myself. I can allready see my bank balance going to zero [crying] ....

I love mine! I tricked it out with a ton of aftermarket stuff, though :)
Trigger pull is now 2 pounds or less of crisp sweetness. Wasnt that great stock, though....

Takedown isnt simple, but its not rocket science, either. Theres plenty of videos, tutorials and *gasp* instructions that explain it pretty simply.

I've run at least 7500 rounds through mine in the past two months and couldnt ask for anything more from the gun.

Can I get a Ruger Single Six with a large enough grip?

If you decide to go with the Ruger Single Six, I've got a pair of oversize Herrett Shooting Stars (target grips) that I think would fit your hand quite nicely, and I'm prepared to let them go for a very reasonable sum. My hands aren't all that large and I decided I liked the look of the gun better with the stock grips. (PM me if interested)

My Single Six was my first handgun, purchased in NJ of all places, back in the early '70s. I still enjoy shooting it.

6'5" tall and weigh 250? Then its definately the S&W 500[smile]

No Seriously though you really cant go wrong with a Mk III. If you are using it as a training aid for a defensive hand gun, definately go with the 22/45 version because the grip angle will be similar to those firearms.

6'5" tall and weigh 250? Then its definately the S&W 500.

I was going to post something like this but Zeke beat me to it. Seriously dude, you're a house. You'll be bored with a .22 in about 5 minutes.

Get yourself a 1911 (.45 ACP) and be done with it. You will own one eventually, why not just get one off the bat?

If you insist on a .22 and have big paws, get a Ruger MK III. They've been around (in one form or another) for 50 years, they're reliable, cheap, and accurate. Plus, once you learn how to take one of these apart, clean it, and put it back together again, you'll be good to go on anything.

You live less than 1/2 hour away from me. If you want to try out anything, PM me and we'll go to my range. I guarantee that after that, you'll know what you want to buy.

I was going to post something like this but Zeke beat me to it. Seriously dude, you're a house. You'll be bored with a .22 in about 5 minutes.

Get yourself a 1911 (.45 ACP) and be done with it. You will own one eventually, why not just get one off the bat?

If you insist on a .22 and have big paws, get a Ruger MK III. They've been around (in one form or another) for 50 years, they're reliable, cheap, and accurate. Plus, once you learn how to take one of these apart, clean it, and put it back together again, you'll be good to go on anything.

You live less than 1/2 hour away from me. If you want to try out anything, PM me and we'll go to my range. I guarantee that after that, you'll know what you want to buy.

Nice call! My Dad told me to start with a 1911. He said "learn on that and you can shoot anything". He still talks about the one he used in the military.

I'm going to want a plinker anyway, so I'll pick up a .22 and get started. I already know I'm headed for a .45 though [smile]

The only man size 22 handgun I know is the S&W Model 617 revolver.

Or you could buy a 1911 of your choice and a Kimber 22LR conversion kit for it.

use of

Wicked, there are a ton of guns and grips out there. Your in a great position
now, as you do not own a thing.

First think about what your gonna do with it else you'll wind up
with a safe full and most will not be used.

And yes, you can buy aftermarket grips for your big paws, that is most
of the time.

You could also take a trip to Smith and Wesson and rent a variety
of them to get a feel for what they have. I'll stand corrected by
i don't think you need an LTC to do this....

JimB

Wicked, there are a ton of guns and grips out there. Your in a great position
now, as you do not own a thing.

First think about what your gonna do with it else you'll wind up
with a safe full and most will not be used.

And yes, you can buy aftermarket grips for your big paws, that is most
of the time.

You could also take a trip to Smith and Wesson and rent a variety
of them to get a feel for what they have. I'll stand corrected by
i don't think you need an LTC to do this....

JimB

Message received on the grips. I was just talking with a work buddy who has a nice collection of firearms. He's got an MKII that he really likes. I asked him to bring it by so I can feel it up (try using "feel it up" in a sentence today!).

FWIW, I'm looking for a nice reliable .22 semi that I can use A LOT over the next year or so as I get initiated into the sport. After I come up to speed I will look forward to bigger and better guns, but expect to keep this .22 for plinking. My kids will be teenages soon too......

Here's a picture of my Smith & Wesson 22A:

SmithWesson22A.jpg

It is truly a great gun...I know many people on this forum who have them and love them. I even know one member of the forum who owns MANY of these.

It's always reliable, never had any problems...The target grip is awesome, and it's just an overall well-balanced gun, too.

Hi guys,

I completed my pistol coarse

Was the training rough? (-:

last weekend, and will be applying soon form my LTC. I'll need to start shopping for my first handgun pretty soon and need some help. I'm 6'5" tall and weigh 250. My hands are pretty large. I'm pretty sure I want to start out with a .22 semi-auto, but the ones we used in class (Walther P22) were way too small. Can you help me build a list of .22's (I guess I'm interested in single action revolvers too) that are comfortable for guys with big hands?

How about the Rugers? Either the MkII or the 22/45 version of it. I imagine the 22/45 might do well, since it is supposed to simulate the grip of a 1911.

WickedSharp, I'm impressed you've stood by your decision to go with a .22 Some of these guys make other guns sound very tempting, but I think you're doing the right thing.

WickedSharp,

I'd disagree with the guys telling you to skip out on a .22 - you're going to want one for several reasons. First, if you're anything like me when I first started shooting, you're going to want to shoot a lot. With ammo prices going through the roof, the best way to shoot a lot and not have to sell a kidney on the black market is to shoot .22. Plus .22 is the best ammo for a new shooter to practice with, because you won't develop bad habits attributed to recoil & noise.

My first .22 (second gun I bought) was a Ruger Mark III (bull barrel), and I'm still very happy with it. Now it's mostly used by my guests when I teach people how to shoot (great for teaching kids/girls or anyone afraid of a bigger gun), but whenever I want to work on something specific, I pull out the .22.

However, if you're planning on getting a 1911, you might want to consider the Ruger 22/45. It's the same as the Mark II, but the grip is designed to feel like a 1911, which makes it a great trainer.

p.s. I have a 1911 for sale right now (see the WTS threads) if you're interested...

Heres a pic of my Ruger MKIII.....this pic doesnt have the compensator, but it shows some of the aftermarket mods that can be done. This was a "Hunter" in stainless before mods.

If you were at the NES shoot, you should have asked to shoot it! Everyone who tried it giggled when they shot it. With its weight, the wdie target grips and compensator, it feels just like a pellet gun going off. You can drive tacks as fast as you can pull the trigger.

If you ever get up in the NH area, id be happy to let you try it out.

I shot competiton rifle for years, but got into pistol when i moved to NH. I recently got a 9mm thats alot of fun to shoot, but its nothing like the fun and cheapness of being able to burn 500 rounds of ammo for 10$.

Space gun:
5.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a pic of my Ruger MKIII.....this pic doesnt have the compensator, but it shows some of the aftermarket mods that can be done. This was a "Hunter" in stainless before mods.

If you were at the NES shoot, you should have asked to shoot it! Everyone who tried it giggled when they shot it. With its weight, the wdie target grips and compensator, it feels just like a pellet gun going off. You can drive tacks as fast as you can pull the trigger.

If you ever get up in the NH area, id be happy to let you try it out.

I shot competiton rifle for years, but got into pistol when i moved to NH. I recently got a 9mm thats alot of fun to shoot, but its nothing like the fun and cheapness of being able to burn 500 rounds of ammo for 10$.

Space gun:
Slight threadjack: What mods (other than the scope)? How much does this weigh compared to, say a standard MkIII or MkII Anniv. Edition? Do you want to get rid of the old adjustable sights? (-; See also: WTB: Ruger MkII or MkIII adj. sights

Back
Top Bottom