Which Massachusetts towns have the most LTC Class A's ?

Being a bit of a geek, I did some analysis of the data in Excel.

My town has the most licenses issued of any town under 100,000 population. Oddly enough it only turns out to be a little over 5%.

A fair number of smaller tows have double digit percentages.

A number of replies say that the numbers appear low. Below is a link to a Boston.com map that illustrates the firearm licenses ISSUED in 2001 and 2007. My town of Franklin ISSUED 1,023 licenses in 2007. I interpret this as new licenses and renewals for 2007. The data from the subject article provides a total number of license holders at just slightly higher than the number issued in 2007. Is this a matter of semantics?

http://www.boston.com/news/multimedia/mass_gun_licenses/

A number of replies say that the numbers appear low. Below is a link to a Boston.com map that illustrates the firearm licenses ISSUED in 2001 and 2007. My town of Franklin ISSUED 1,023 licenses in 2007. I interpret this as new licenses and renewals for 2007. The data from the subject article provides a total number of license holders at just slightly higher than the number issued in 2007. Is this a matter of semantics?

Thanks for the link. That map is somewhat interesting. Those numbers, presumably for one year, are higher in many cases than the Channel 5 numbers which are supposed to include all licensees. I've got myself convinced that they've somehow calculated a number that reflects only the ALP licenses. I think they're referring to Class A in that sense. Admittedly it's just a WAG.

I wondered about the same thing.....whether or not the base data is any good.

There's Class As vs Bs, renewals vs new issues, annual activity vs total cumulative, restrictions vs none, town biases (red, green, black), etc.

The reporter probably hasn't a clue regarding the distinctions.

Was just surfing WCVB'S website, Why the hell is this a news story?

In other news WCVB will not be watched anymore because of this perfect example of biased reporting.

The "number of LTCs" is a standard story for a slow news day and gets trotted out every few years. As is typical the story always claims that an LTC-A allows concealed carry, and makes no reference to the restriction issue.

This is because the 90% of people have no LTC, and therefore no interest or clue. It's "news" to 90% of the viewing audience, and, since it is about guns, vaguely disturbing....

Was I wrong in thinking that the pistol that they kept showing in the hands of the guy at the range was an air pistol? Or was it meerly a .22 Free Pistol? Either way, it was typical of this sort of story....not a carry piece, but "evil and odd looking"

I wrote a statistics paper comparing the crime rates in 150 MA towns to the population size. I also wanted to see the number of people that had guns in those towns, but didn't have enough time to get all the info. Wish you guys started this thread a year ago. Lol

I wrote a statistics paper comparing the crime rates in 150 MA towns to the population size. I also wanted to see the number of people that had guns in those towns, but didn't have enough time to get all the info. Wish you guys started this thread a year ago. Lol

There is an old thread here from 1-2 years ago when they ran the same story back then. [wink]

They are missing the moonbat percentage as well.

It's safe to conclude that the more moonbatty a town is, the lower the LTC issuance. Not due to the PD, but due to moonbats thinking guns are icky and why would you need one. The residents just don't want an LTC and they are the majority when looking at percentages.

They are missing the moonbat percentage as well.

It's safe to conclude that the more moonbatty a town is, the lower the LTC issuance. Not due to the PD, but due to moonbats thinking guns are icky and why would you need one. The residents just don't want an LTC and they are the majority when looking at percentages.
Yes, its a little like Tutsi wondering aloud why there are so few Hutu around?

It's kind of sad my city is only 3.2%. Of the 1253 in Beverly, there's three in our house and we'll have one more in 2014. I'll working on getting two more people on my street to have LTC's this year. I did a quick tally yesterday. Looks like over 24,000 LTC's in Essex County, and no, I don't want to know the percentage.

I wonder if anyone has the time to compare the percentages to whether a town is "green" or not. My town is green, but only 3.3% of residents have a LTC-A.

I took the data and did this based of NES's Blue, Green, Red, Black information. I have the Excel if anyone wants it but I don't want to post it. There's a correlation. I'd have to dig out my Six Sigma book to figure out exactly how strong it is but a brief look makes it appear that there's a much higher concentration of red and black designations in the town's with low percentages. There are, however, still some red towns with a comparatively high percentage of LTCs.

My moonbat neighbors here in Somerville are going to love this...

Did some calculations and discovered that... despite having a very low per capita rate of LTC holders, because our population density is so high (approx 75,000 in 4 sq. miles - highest in the state and one of the 20 most densely populated towns in the country).. there's actually about 1 LTC holder every 100 sq meters. That sounds much cooler than 1.2 per 1000k people.

Did some calculations and discovered that... despite having a very low per capita rate of LTC holders, because our population density is so high (approx 75,000 in 4 sq. miles - highest in the state and one of the 20 most densely populated towns in the country).. there's actually about 1 LTC holder every 100 sq meters. That sounds much cooler than 1.2 per 1000k people.

Yep, that sounds way cooler.[wink] That is a good way to look at it.

4 square miles = 10,359,952.4 square meters

What you all seem to be missing is "Team 5 Investigates Which Mass. Towns Have Most Armed Residents?"
What's there to investigate? If they want to do a regular story that's their choice, but they sensationalize it with the "Team 5 Investigates".

A better "Team 5 Investigates", as has been mentioned in this thread, "Which Mass Towns have the Most unlicensed Armed Residents?"

God help us!!

Shipmate , we have an awesome avatar !

Right. Think I meant to say Somerville has almost 1 LTC holder for every 100m x 100m square, not every "100 square meters" (just 10m x 10m).

either way, my neighbors are slacking and need to get crackin on that paperwork...

I find it interesting that Springfield has 6 more LTC-A holders than Boston does [laugh]

ETA: Is it bad that I've lived in MA for my whole life, and had never heard of 1/2 the towns on that list until today?

I find it interesting that Springfield has 6 more LTC-A holders than Boston does [laugh]

ETA: Is it bad that I've lived in MA for my whole life, and had never heard of 1/2 the towns on that list until today?
That's ok, there are plenty of elected officials and the libtards who elect them who can't name a single town outside 128 either...

Back
Top Bottom