• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Which manufacturers make the best semi auto handguns?

fencer

NES Member
Me and my son were talking about an article we read recently about Colt. The article talked at great length about the quality control that goes into all of their firearms but specifically the 1911.
So my son asked me... "Dad, who is the best gun maker?" I explained to him that some manufacturers had some great successes as well as some real dogs. But he was persistent, as 11 year olds often are, and asked " Yeah but overall, who is the best?"

Well that really made me think. That is a pretty tough question. Even the best makers have had some offerings that I am sure they wish had never gone to market.

So I am interested in what you folks think. Not custom gun makers, major manufacturers. The hard part was ranking them from best to worse, and even though I am a Glock hater, I had to give them the #1 spot. So here is my short list. What is on yours?

Glock
Colt
Sig
Smith and Wesson
Baretta
Ruger
H&K

I know that the order is debatable, and I know I missed a few (love my Kahr), but it is a tough question.

Me and my son were talking about an article we read recently about Colt. The article talked at great length about the quality control that goes into all of their firearms but specifically the 1911.
So my son asked me... "Dad, who is the best gun maker?" I explained to him that some manufacturers had some great successes as well as some real dogs. But he was persistent, as 11 year olds often are, and asked " Yeah but overall, who is the best?"

Well that really made me think. That is a pretty tough question. Even the best makers have had some offerings that I am sure they wish had never gone to market.

So I am interested in what you folks think. Not custom gun makers, major manufacturers. The hard part was ranking them from best to worse, and even though I am a Glock hater, I had to give them the #1 spot. So here is my short list. What is on yours?

Glock
Colt
Sig
Smith and Wesson
Baretta
Ruger
H&K

Are you speaking specifically semi-autos currently in production ???

Glock
Ruger
Springfield Armory (XD series and their 1911's)
Smith and Wesson (Free state M&P's)
Kahr (I hear excellent things about their handguns)
Sig

- - - Updated - - -

Winchester, Remington, and Springfield Armory should probably be up there.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Winchester makes semi auto handguns?

Hell yeah, I can't wait to buy a SA. Their 1911's are top notch and the XDm is a great gun. I feel like my Glocks would beat the shit out of them in my safe [laugh].

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Walther would not be on my list. P38 sure, but most others are bland to me. And some have their issues. And Kimber has some serious QC problems, as does Glock nowadays.

Sent from my carbon covered iPhone

Winchester, Remington, and Springfield Armory should probably be up there.

Mike

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

What semi-auto handgun does Winchester make? And is that one 1911 that Remington makes really that good?

Yes I did, but where would you rank them? It's a tough list to come up with

It's all subjective.
You have to narrow it down to a particular model and time period.
The early Kimbers were really nice, but as production ramped-up, quality went down.
Most manufactures had good models and bad models, good years and bad years.

It's all subjective.
You have to narrow it down to a particular model and time period.
The early Kimbers were really nice, but as production ramped-up, quality went down.
Most manufactures had good models and bad models, good years and bad years.

That is what I tried to explain to my son, and I dodged the question as much as you are! [laugh]

We then had a discussion about my favorite models

For me in terms of 100% reliability:
Glock
Sig
H&K

In that order. I currently carry a sig "nightmare" 5 inch 1911 fastback though.
As a gun owner for over 40 years my vote is simalar in the mfg of consistant high quality firearms:

Sig
H&K
Glock
Colt

For me in terms of 100% reliability:
Glock
Sig
H&K

In that order. I currently carry a sig "nightmare" 5 inch 1911 fastback though.

Tough question to answer, but I agree with these picks.

When you only do one thing you better do it right.

When it comes to hand guns these guys make many semi autos and they do it right.

Now tommorow the Glock revolver will be released all plastic with a 17 round cylinder made out of scandium.[shocked]

I am a huge walther fan real walthers not one made from interarms... only bad gun actually made buy walther in recent memory was the g22.... some folks bitch about the p22 unless you have one made in the first year just feed it cci mini mags and you will never have a problem

STI. I have yet to own one that didn't run awesome. Truly a shooters gun
I had a some HK.. ran 100% but not really a well thought out gun from a shooter stand point,
Glock may run, but the grip angle is just stupid, so on ergo alone, it can't win.

Back
Top Bottom