• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

which kahr is a better gun to carry

I own a K40, K9, MK9, and PM9. The first question is, how are you going to carry it?

For me, the MK9 and PM9 only make sense as a pocket gun. If you are going to carry in a belt holster, you can just as easily carry a K9 or K40 which have a much better grip and longer sight radius. Between the MK9 and PM9, I find the MK9 just a bit too heavy as a pocket gun.

The K40 and K9 are just about the same size. The K40 has one less round and a good bit more recoil. I'll let you decide the 9mm versus .40.

My K40 is for sale here: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/123083-Kahr-K40-NAA-Guardian-32-Ruger-SP101

Don't bother with the .40s, they're abusive, generally speaking. (Or at least, the PM40 I fired, I thought it was abusive... not so sure about the bigger steel ones. )

-Mike

Don't bother with the .40s, they're abusive, generally speaking. (Or at least, the PM40 I fired, I thought it was abusive... not so sure about the bigger steel ones. )
I definitely would not want to fire a PM40. The PM9 is no walk in the park, but it is manageable. The MK9 has some recoil, more than the K9, but it is OK. The K9 has little felt recoil. The K40 does have noticeable felt recoil. It is not a gun that I would want to put more than 100 rounds through it in a single range session. On the other hand, it does fire a powerful round and is very easily concealable, so pick your poison. The K40 might have less felt recoil with a slip-on grip.

I carry a P45 because I like that caliber better but between the two you asked about, I'd pick the 9mm because .40 ammo is more expensive and in the same size guns,it kicks harder. If I have a choice, I always pick a steel gun because the weight helps reduce recoil and I don't feel the extra weight when I carry it.

Colbycobra22, if you want to drive out to Wayland I'll let you try my Kahrs -- you supply the factory 9mm and .40 S&W ammo. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Im looking at a K9 a fellow member is selling its 650 with 4-5 extra mags is that a good deal. I plan on carrying inside the waist.. Also does anyone here carrying a 1911 style gun? I'm also looking to pick up a smith and wesson 1911 E series from Four Seasons. Happy tax return huh haha.. The K9 if I can pick it up would later go to my girlfriend when she gets her license if I dont like it but she likes the two tone version because its pretty haha

The K9 sucks. Buy my K40 instead [wink] Just kidding. The K9 is a good gun. I'll let you decide on the price compared to my $500 K40.

Yes, I do carry a 1911. The new S&W E-series looks to be a pretty good gun. Too bad about the lame S&W 3rd generation sight dovetail, though.

Last edited:
M1911 can you inform me about the 3rd gen sight dovetail? and yes i was looking at your k40 i love that its black but i'm not sure if i want a .40..I only a few other 9mm so i have bulk stacks of 9mm..M1911 which 1911 do you carry?

M1911 can you inform me about the 3rd gen sight dovetail? and yes i was looking at your k40 i love that its black but i'm not sure if i want a .40
Come out to Wayland and let you try both my K9 and K40 back to back. That's the best way to decide.

M1911 which 1911 do you carry?
My usual carry is a fullsize Kimber Custom stainless. I've had the sights changed, a trigger job, etc. They are hard to find in MA. If I was buying a new 1911 in MA these days, I'd get the S&W E-Series.

The issue with the dovetail is that S&W is using their own proprietary dovetail. As a result the selection of aftermarket sights is limited. I'd prefer a Bomar or Novak dovetail. I don't like the sites on the E-series, so I'd want to change them to a 10-8 or Heinie rear sight. The 10-8 is coming "soon." It looks like Heinie has a set that will fit the S&W dovetail: http://www.heinie.com/information.php?info_id=16&osCsid=lpd6equhef9k577cq8satii9v6

My two jobs are a little crazy with the hours but when i know i have some free time i'll send you a pm if i havent bought either one yet I've bought a rifle off a fellow member in wayland its not far from me in Medford so thats not an issue

+1 on the PM9. My friend had the PM40 and it was very difficult to shoot. The recoil was stout, but not the end of the world...it just doesn't work well w/ that small a gun. The 9mm is the better option. PM9 in the pocket will be my next acquisition. If i can find one without the MA diddles on it, I'd take it. Either way, still a good gun.

+1 on the PM9. My friend had the PM40 and it was very difficult to shoot. The recoil was stout, but not the end of the world...it just doesn't work well w/ that small a gun. The 9mm is the better option. PM9 in the pocket will be my next acquisition. If i can find one without the MA diddles on it, I'd take it. Either way, still a good gun.

Actually, I have one of each, (MA and free state versions) and I find that both shoot nicely. The safety switch isn't an issue, being so small, and the LCI is also very low profile and does not interfere with carrying in a pocket holster while in battery. the trigger might be a bit stiffer, but I'll see after another couple hundred rounds after the MA-compliant gun has been broken in.

ETA: PM9

I carry a P45 because I like that caliber better but between the two you asked about, I'd pick the 9mm because .40 ammo is more expensive and in the same size guns,it kicks harder. If I have a choice, I always pick a steel gun because the weight helps reduce recoil and I don't feel the extra weight when I carry it.

I've shot Gerry's pm45 and was hitting plates at 25 yards with it. I loved shooting that gun and it's on my short list for my next buy.

I have the MA version of the PM 9. The safety and loaded round indicator are fairly unobtrusive. Additionally, I shoot it pretty accurately and am not particularly bothered by the recoil. Give it a try as it's a nice pocket gun with a fairly robust round.

Depends on your use? To carry all day as a backup/hide out/CCW, the plastic frame. To carry once in a while the all SS is ok if you like it's feel.
I sold my all SS....I did like my KelTec better for CCW (which I rarely do).

I think the PM45 is the best Kahr to carry. The P380 is nice as well, but for the best blend of stopping power and concealability the PM45 is nice very nice.

I've owned the Kahr PM9 for years and carry it daily...I mean daily! Personally although the 9mm is plenty to stop someone if needed I still kind of wish I bought the PM40 instead just for that little something extra. [crying]

I've owned the Kahr PM9 for years and carry it daily...I mean daily! Personally although the 9mm is plenty to stop someone if needed I still kind of wish I bought the PM40 instead just for that little something extra. [crying]

Then buy andypieces's pm40 and sell your pm9

I think the PM45 is the best Kahr to carry. The P380 is nice as well, but for the best blend of stopping power and concealability the PM45 is nice very nice.

I've got 4 Kahr's myself. The PM45 is (my avatar and) my go-to gun. My only complaint is round capacity, which with the new extended mag, plus one in the chamber isn't too bad. I've got the .380 which is tiny and a great shooter, the round just doesn't inspire a ton of confidence. My 2nd choice is my MK9. Something about the accuracy and recoil over the polymer frame PM9 works for me. To each his own however....

And remember, were talking about snub noses....most HP bullets aren't going to expand correctly, so some go w/ the larger diameter/caliber round.
There are some special advanced snub nose rounds that say they expand perfectly....but I am not sure about them?

I've got 4 Kahr's myself. The PM45 is (my avatar and) my go-to gun. My only complaint is round capacity, which with the new extended mag, plus one in the chamber isn't too bad. I've got the .380 which is tiny and a great shooter, the round just doesn't inspire a ton of confidence. My 2nd choice is my MK9. Something about the accuracy and recoil over the polymer frame PM9 works for me. To each his own however....

Are PM45s available in the PRM? Or did you obtain it via a FTF from an MA immigrant?

Are PM45s available in the PRM? Or did you obtain it via a FTF from an MA immigrant?

I found it at a gunshop....NIB.
If you look hard enough they are out there. Same as my other 3 Non-MA Kahr's. With enough dedication, and resourcefulness you can find them via FTF, gunshop, MA Immigrants, etc.

Back
Top Bottom